Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:17   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Second Set of Reef Points...in Normal Spot, or Deeper ?

Hello all,

I am having a second set of reef points put in on my Pearson 26 main. I am going up the coast of Maine this summer and I want to be prepared to shorten sail if I find myself in a blow.

Here's my question. Since there is only one set of reef points on the sail now, would it make sense to put the second set in the normal spot or would it be wiser to make them deeper (higher on the sail), basically skipping the second set and going straight for a third?

My rationale is the following. A second set of reef points would let me keep up my main in moderately heavy air, but I could also just use a bit more of the furling genoa at that point. When it really gets rough, the second set of reef points will still leave too much canvas exposed, and at that point I might be having a harder time maintaining steerage or making to windward whatever the case may be.

Three sets of reef point on this small of a sail seems like overkill, and I can't afford to purchase a set of storm sails right now. So how deep should I have them make my second set of reef points?

Thanks,
Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Jack,

We just had a new mainsail made and I put the 2nd set of reefpoints deeper. Its not as deep as a 3rd reef, but say its a 2.5.

When it gets a bit heavy we are more likely to just stop till it passes

We are in no hurry.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19   #3

I'd pick to go as low as you can balance with a foward sail. There are some good used sails out there if you've never gone that route before: Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker

Our main will reef all the way down to be balanced with a reefed staysail. If you're not going to go for balance, I'd do as mentioned above and try to split the difference between where points 2 and 3 normally would be.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote