Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 11:33   #1

Boat: Seaward Slipper 17
Seidelmann 24 Vs. Hunter 23.5

Hello!
We are considering upsizing this year. Currently, there are 2 that we considering: An '81 Seidelmann 24 and a '93 Hunter 23.5. Since we're currently under a polar vortex (which is apparently when I like to look for sailboats... ), we haven't had time to go look at them yet. So I am stuck with photos and constant internal debates So I was hoping to get opinions from people who know things.

Both boats seem to check all of our major boxes:
  • Big enough for our family of 4 to enjoy all day
  • Trailerable, with a swing/shoal keel for use on lakes nearby (and open to marina's that might not normally consider a sailboat)
  • Cabin for future adventures
  • Within our general price range

We're really not into racing, just cruising in general. So I have been leaning towards the H23.5. I like that open transom/swim ladder, and it seems to have more creature comforts than the S24 (and it's not already named... ). But... It's also a Hunter, and over twice the price. While that by itself isn't a deal breaker, it's enough to make me reconsider the S24.

There are always projects with boats, and $3,000 I would save with the S24 could certainly be helpful. I also like the profile better, and I've heard some of the older boats are built a little tankier.

So, I was hoping to get the opinions of the collective group.

Thank you!
aj911501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:48   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Seidelmann 24 Vs. Hunter 23.5

Some what irrelevant to your question but bring back fond memories. One of the lake boats we had when I was a kid in the early 80s was a Seidelmann 25. I loved that boat. Great light air boat which generally translates into a good lake boat. IMO much nicer than the Hunter. Although I am sure the 12 years new Hunter will make up for some of the difference from my memory. I am sure either would do the job for you and would ultimately let each boats condition make the decision. Thanks for stirring up some fond memories.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, seidelmann, trailer sailer, Trailer sailor, upgrade