Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 14:09   #1

Self Tacking Jib Catalina 42?

I’m looking for ways to simplify single-handing a Catalina 42 mk2- has anyone had experience with installing a Self Tacking Jib kit? They do sell one on the Catalina Yacht Store, so I’m thinking it’s a proven design/ application. Thoughts?
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:45   #2

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Re: Self Tacking Jib Catalina 42?

I don't claim to be an expert but I do have the same boat and understand your issue. The problem as I see it, is that the rig has a smallish main that is intended to be used with an overlapping genoa - even the "small" factory headsail is 140%.

What I decided, was to go with is a 125% genoa with a higher clew and a new main with three, more closely spaced reefs - reef 1 shallower than the original; reef 2 between the original 1 and 2; reef 3 slightly deeper than the original 2. I dispensed with the adjustable topping lift to gain room for the third reefing line. The 125 is much easier to handle and the extra reefs make it easier to balance the sail plan. It's still early days but so far I am pleased.

I tend to sail in windy conditions and frequently had a reef in the main and a partly furled genoa, so it's not that different, except that the sail shape is much better. After this season I will decide if I need to add a cruising code 0 on a top-down for those light wind days.

For me, the other really big issue is moving from one side of the cockpit to the other to get to the genoa winches - obviously you would mitigate this with a self-tacker. My plan is to make a new cockpit table with a fold down section so I can move directly from one side to the other, passing between the table and the helm, rather than going all the way around the front of the table or around the back of the steering pedestal.

I think a lot depends on the predominant wind where you sail. If it's a light wind area like LIS, a small headsail is probably a bad idea. If it's windy, probably just fine. Hope that is of a little help. YMMV. I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

You might also look for other opinions on Catalina 42/425 Owners Association or the Catalina 42 section of Sailboatowners.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

While I can't specifically comment on the Self Tacking Jib kit from the Catalina Yacht Store I have a similar problem where the last owner removed some of the self tacking staysail hardware on a 1978 Rafiki 37 cutter rigged boat.

I've done a lot of searching for information on subject and it's amazing how few people post articles on self tacking hardware.

Here's an article I came across you might find of interest. Even if you don't build your own you'll have better understanding of what you're looking at:

https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-a...cking-staysail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_self-tacking staysail 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	193674  
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 22:04   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

Sofa King, I'm going to do the same thing with my C42 Mk1. I've sailed other boats with a self-tacker and our family got hooked - in spite of the clear drawbacks. I find that people who are against them have never tried them. Note that most new boats coming out these days have them. Yes, the sheeting angles are not ideal, but if you get the jib cut right, you can mitigage the issues upwind (down wind is another issue).

I also spoke with a salesperson from Catalina who has one and she mentioned that you can actually leave the jib sheets attached if you want to switch back and forth. I had never thought of that and will try that. You can certainly switch to using sheets when you want regardless.

I may add another furler with a code zero in front of it, but being in SF, I don't know how much I'd use it. Right now my 130 is a beast in our local winds. And when I sail it furled, the center of effort is really high and the sail shape is pretty bad.

I want to go with the Selden system on the site you mentioned as it looks half decent and is spec'ed for the C42. Once I get that installed, I'll have someone measure for the jib to optimize its size. Am guessing it will be 90%ish, which is what we typically sail when the 130 is furled.

I'm happy to trade notes on this if you are still pursuing.

Chris
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, jib