Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Semi-flexible solar panel placement

I brought two 100W semi-flexible solar panels down with me from the states to add to my existing 155W. I was originally planning on attaching them to my spray hood, but I worry the fabric itself isn't strong enough to support them for long periods of time without adding reinforcement bars to the underside of the fabric.

So instead I'm considering other options, like the deck mounting shown below. Most of my future sailing will be westward in the trades, so theoretically the boom will be out of the way, and can be moved out of the way at anchor. If I go this route though, I'd want to attach the panels to the deck without adding any holes to the boat.

Photos of both layouts here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSJQpNfohkPeFz0K2

What are your guys' thoughts from personal experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171009_172923.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	157434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171009_172851.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	157435  

Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:49   #2
cruiser

Re: Semi-flexible solar panel placement

If you continue with your first plan to mount on the sprayhood, just make sure you fasten with zips or velcro or both to all four sides, so wind can't get under them and tear the panels off, this happened to a friend of ours. Have a local canvas maker sew on a second layer of fabric to strengthen and provide additional insulation.

The panels you purchased don't look they were designed to be stepped on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1500.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	157437  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:56   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

If you mount them on the spray hood in parallel, at least one of them will be working while the other is shaded. If they are on the coach roof and the boom is straight and shading them, neither of them are going to be putting out anything.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31   #4
cruiser

Yes BUT... for pocket change, he can purchase a second controller and eliminate shading issues by pulling the boom out 45 degrees while at anchor.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:35   #5

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you continue with your first plan to mount on the sprayhood, just make sure you fasten with zips or velcro or both to all four sides, so wind can't get under them and tear the panels off, this happened to a friend of ours. Have a local canvas maker sew on a second layer of fabric to strengthen and provide additional insulation.

The panels you purchased don't look they were designed to be stepped on.
In this picture are the velcro flaps stitched onto the panel?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:22   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
In this picture are the velcro flaps stitched onto the panel?
The panels are sticked to the velcro and the zippers. One side of the zip and velcro sewn onto panel and one side of each onto the bimini.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	157465  
Old 10-10-2017, 16:08   #7

Boat: J42

We have two high output Solbian semiflex panels from Bruce Schwab on our Bimini. He supplied them with 1/4" thick extruded corrugated polypropylene backing board. I hand stitched the panels to the flexible backing cut 1/2 larger than each panel all the way around, and put adhesive Velcro on the topside edge of the backing. Then machine stitched mating Velcro to 4 each 1 1/2"" sunbrella hemmed strips which adhere to the top of the backing and are sewn to the bimini around each panel. We have raced to Bermuda in a tropical storm, and cruised to New Brunswick and to Newfoundland with no issues with the panels at all.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 16:50   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
We have two high output Solbian semiflex panels from Bruce Schwab on our Bimini. He supplied them with 1/4" thick extruded corrugated polypropylene backing board. I hand stitched the panels to the flexible backing cut 1/2 larger than each panel all the way around, and put adhesive Velcro on the topside edge of the backing. Then machine stitched mating Velcro to 4 each 1 1/2"" sunbrella hemmed strips which adhere to the top of the backing and are sewn to the bimini around each panel. We have raced to Bermuda in a tropical storm, and cruised to New Brunswick and to Newfoundland with no issues with the panels at all.
Can you please post a picture of your Solbians with the backing board and how it's attached. If it's convenient.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 17:36   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 26 classic

I installed a 50 watt panel in front of my dodger this summer, it works well. It seems like a poor location but my Victron battery monitor starts to measure a gain by 7:30 am. Also the panel is far from my mainsheet, a hazard with stern mounts on a Nonsuch, and it's out of the way and does not get stepped on.

Mike
Nonsuch 26
Whitby Ontario
Mike Nonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 19:50   #10

Hi Kenomac

I will post a shot under sail. Need to wash the bimini this week so will take shots of the flaps and the separated panels.
Old 10-10-2017, 20:05   #11

Here is a panel in use.
Old 10-10-2017, 20:12   #12

Question Re: Semi-flexible solar panel placement

Having trouble using Choose File to grab pic under the Add Video button.
Old 10-10-2017, 22:59   #13

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Thanks Ken. Looks like a solid set up.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 23:04   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Having trouble using Choose File to grab pic under the Add Video button.
Upload it to youtube, then post the link here.
Old 11-10-2017, 00:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I brought two 100W semi-flexible solar panels down with me from the states to add to my existing 155W. I was originally planning on attaching them to my spray hood, but I worry the fabric itself isn't strong enough to support them for long periods of time without adding reinforcement bars to the underside of the fabric.

So instead I'm considering other options, like the deck mounting shown below. Most of my future sailing will be westward in the trades, so theoretically the boom will be out of the way, and can be moved out of the way at anchor. If I go this route though, I'd want to attach the panels to the deck without adding any holes to the boat.

Photos of both layouts here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSJQpNfohkPeFz0K2

What are your guys' thoughts from personal experience?

Hi Ryban,

As you already have bought the panels enjoy them as long they last.
I hope they will last longer than mine did. (Manufactured 2012-2013)
Hopefully quality is improved.

They are claimed to be Sunpower cells but are made in China. Sold under many brand names. I have seen them cracking, blistering and get milky. Had 4 installed and I returned them to the vendor after 12 month intense Med. Sun. I got new panels and problems continued. All in all I bought 4 panels but have got 12 panels over 5 years. The existing panels do not have the glossy surface. I’m more optimistic about them. They are still good after 18 month.

The output of the panels was very good in the Med. In July, August we had more or less full output when the sun was in zenith. With 400W we had no problems on anchor with fridge and freezer running.

The panels that blistered did actually not loose any output. I returned them as I wanted them replaced under the warranty. When I returned them they had 12 month under strong Med. Sun. It was no difference if they where installed on deck or on the Bimini, same problem.

No doubt Solbian are a better panel to a higher price. Question is if they will last 4 times longer...

Here are some good information:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/s...r_panel&page=1

Be careful and do not bend the panels to much. Solbian have a max radius of 1.5 m. How much is that? ( It is not much!) Schwab have a very good explanation in their Solbian user manual.

https://www.bruceschwab.com/wp-conte...ew-radius1.pdf

I never expearanced any problems because of bending. I had a 100% flat bimini. Stabilized with battens under each panel.

One panel came loose in a 50 knot gust in Greece. I had not a flap around the edges. My bad..

Avoid shadows. Even a small shadow over one cell is a a BIG loss. I’m amazed seeing people building expensive towers on the stern for fixed panels and then finishing of with an antenna farm above or on the sides of the panels. It is not uncommon to see two wind generators on either sides of the solar panels.......

My friend had one of those installations. He got more out of the solar panels on day with overcast as there was no shadows, compared to a sunny day with shadows.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, men