Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 10:35   #16

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Re: Separate head / shower layouts?

I had the opportunity to help a friend deliver his 2000 Island Packet 38 from La Paz, MX back to Santa Cruz, CA. While his head did not have a separate shower space, it did have a very clever folding bulkhead which effectively formed a separate roomy shower space in the head. I don't know if the smaller versions of the IP's have the same clever set-up, but after having used it on his boat, I'd recommend it as an alternative to a completely separate shower compartment.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:43   #17

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our boat has two 'wet' heads, where the soles of the heads are teak grates and the sink faucet pulls out to be a hand shower. We have been delighted with this efficient use of space as typically a shower stall is only used for a few minutes each day as a shower. Why dedicate that much space for something that is used less than 1% of the time you're aboard?

However, since we've been in the tropics for most of the last seven-and-a-half years, we prefer to shower on our aft deck using the hose. It's cooler and the last thing we want is a hot shower.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 23:53   #18

if you mean a separate shower stall (with small tub) the Bayfield 36 has this. As it implies it is a 36 footer and is the only one of this length I have seen with this arrangement and I reckon a pretty good layout for a mono of this length.
radamspse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 07:35   #19

had 2 shower with heads on the boat took out 1 head instant separate shower and head
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 08:08   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhent View Post
My wife and I are working through the process of narrowing down the huge variety of 30-35 coastal cruisers available, with the goal of purchasing a 'new to us' boat in early 2020-ish. At a local boat show, we walked a brand-new Beneteau 35.1 which had a separate head and shower. It was the first time either of us had seen that setup on something smaller than ~40ft or a cat. It immediately went on one of our 'must-have' lists.

Are there any other boats that commonly came with a separate head / shower layout in the 30-35ft range?
Yes.

Here is a thread I started that is focused on the boats with a separate shower stall. This may be in the head compartment.

If you identify other boats that are not on this list linked below, please add them to that thread so others can see them too.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-142630.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 12:51   #21

Boat: Nauticat38

Would anybody be willing to give me the interior dimensions of their dedicated showers along with your thoughts on the size?

We're expanding our forward head to include a dedicated shower room, and I'm wondering how tiny I can go without it becoming inconveniently unusable.
Old 24-07-2018, 13:12   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Would anybody be willing to give me the interior dimensions of their dedicated showers along with your thoughts on the size?

We're expanding our forward head to include a dedicated shower room, and I'm wondering how tiny I can go without it becoming inconveniently unusable.
110x85(shoulder height)x180cm(l*w*h). A bit more than a dedicated shower needs to be. However if one is supposed to strip and dress in the shower room this is about the minimum. It's also barely minimum room for two to have a steam bath.
There's more about sizing boat interiors in a book of boat interiors by Lisa Hix.

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 14:38   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post

Usually the bare minimum is 60 cm by 60 cm, where a normal house shower would be 75 by 75 or larger. However you can go smaller and they do in trailers and RVs, but keep in mind that you ought to be able to use it when heeling if you do long passages.

I wouldn’t do anything smaller than 50 by 60 with 60 being the dimension following the length of the boat and 50 the beam. A lot depends on the corpulence, tallness, age and agility of the intended users.

I currently use a showerstall that is near circular with a 60 cm diameter and because I’m tall it’s a little harder to pick stuff up from the floor for example. Once I bend my limbs to do this they start touching the walls.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, shower