Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 07:13   #16

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Re: Shannon 28; offshore anyone?

Our boat is an allied Seawind 30 sloop, a sturdy budget boat blended between a Shannon 28 and alberg 30. We've made 4 Atlantic crossings in her and we are now in the Falklands. We have never felt our boat lacking in any way. I am amazed by the light wind performance of Dawn Treader. She is tubby with a squat low aspect rig, but she sails in even the faintest breeze, so long as a lingering swell doesn't spill the wind. When the wind pipes up, we sail under canvassed by most standards, but she still scoots along just fine. We did remove the prop and fill in the aperture and that seems to have made a big difference when considering the performance of a small boat. Unless absolutely necessary, we normally heave to or fall off, instead of bashing upwind in anything above 20kts.

I just saw my first Shannon 28 recently, and it looked like a very capable ocean cruiser.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:22   #17
rbk

Boat: T37

Great boats as mentioned above, maintenance like all will determine wether it is fit for offshore work. Met an elderly couple with one that had it for many, many years, sailing from Valdez to the Caribbean, South Pacific and back to Alaska several times over their career and we’re gearing up for another.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:37   #18

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Here's a gold nugget of an article from the late Monk Farnham, the former editor of Rudder magazine who at one time was recognized by Guinness World Records (twice) as the oldest person to single hand across the Atlantic.

It's from a 1980 edition of Yachting and it's entitled: "The long, intricate and rewarding search for a retirement cruiser" Wonderful read which is still very much relevant almost 40 years later. Enjoy.

https://books.google.es/books?id=gHgIRUsfhQEC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=Expert's +choice:+The+long,+intricate+and+rewarding+search+ for+a+retirement+cruiser&source=bl&ots=oqgToVm9il& sig=ACfU3U1pZms8rvfkU4Vb6x4zftLfDzdNKA&hl=en&sa=X& ved=2ahUKEwib8ora2Y3lAhUOy4UKHfaEC4IQ6AEwAHoECAkQA Q#v=onepage&q=Expert's%20choice%3A%20The%20long%2C %20intricate%20and%20rewarding%20search%20for%20a% 20retirement%20cruiser&f=false
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 17:13   #19

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
Our boat is an allied Seawind 30 sloop, a sturdy budget boat blended between a Shannon 28 and alberg 30. We've made 4 Atlantic crossings in her and we are now in the Falklands. We have never felt our boat lacking in any way. I am amazed by the light wind performance of Dawn Treader. She is tubby with a squat low aspect rig, but she sails in even the faintest breeze, so long as a lingering swell doesn't spill the wind. When the wind pipes up, we sail under canvassed by most standards, but she still scoots along just fine. We did remove the prop and fill in the aperture and that seems to have made a big difference when considering the performance of a small boat. Unless absolutely necessary, we normally heave to or fall off, instead of bashing upwind in anything above 20kts.

I just saw my first Shannon 28 recently, and it looked like a very capable ocean cruiser.

What specific aspects of the Allied Seawind 30 blend characteristics of the Shannon 28 and Alberg 30? Dawn Treader is a great name for your boat, by the way. Love it.

I've never owned any boat but my Shannon, so it's hard to understand how things compare in detail. I've been on day trips on friends' boats, but that's about it.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 15:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post

Just found your blog, Dawn Treader. Kudos to you guys. What a great adventure you two are on

Here's the link for the rest of you https://sailingdawntreader.com/about/
Old 24-01-2021, 22:11   #21

"My primary concerns are the behavior of a Shannon 28 in a seaway"
I can no longer find it but there is a dscusion online about the 74 yr old who sailed across the Atlantic in a Shannon 28
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 04:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdecon View Post
"My primary concerns are the behavior of a Shannon 28 in a seaway"
I can no longer find it but there is a dscusion online about the 74 yr old who sailed across the Atlantic in a Shannon 28
I don't know about the online discussion, but there is a wonderful article on line in The Cruising Yachtsman by Walter Shulz, the builder of Shannon Yachts, entitled "Shannon River Pilgrimage." It tells a part of the story of Monk Farham's Atlantic crossing including the bit about sailing through Hurricane Dennis, broken ribs and all as well as the trip up the legendary Shannon River, the namesake of Shannon Yachts. Nice read, story starts on pg 46. Enjoy.

https://books.google.es/books?id=Uo9...lantic&f=false
Old 25-01-2021, 04:18   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

https://bluewaterboats.org/shannon-28

The only problem with the Shannon 28 might be just finding one since they only built 55 of them.

All these boats are good offshore boats in about the size range you want.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

This lady sold her Pearson Ariel 26 and moved up to a Great Dane 28.

http://www.dinghydreams.com/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 06:55   #24

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
https://bluewaterboats.org/shannon-28

The only problem with the Shannon 28 might be just finding one since they only built 55 of them.

All these boats are good offshore boats in about the size range you want.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

This lady sold her Pearson Ariel 26 and moved up to a Great Dane 28.

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea

Funny thing about only 55 out there, I got to look at 3 in my search, all within 2 hours of each other. Pretty random. After they were all sold (including the one I bought) I found yet ANOTHER one, in the same marina as mine. The owner lives aboard, too.

Not a single one of these boats is the same. They were each highly customized.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore