Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2022, 04:47   #1

Boat: Looking
Shannon 37

Hi All

Looking for opinions on a Shannon 37. I plan on sailing in the Chesapeake single handed most of the time. The attached link to a Shannon 37 for sale in Chicago appears to be a contender but I am a bit worried about the in mast furling main. Any thoughts on the boat in general and in particular the in mast furling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reedville

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...on-37-7999699/
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:15   #2

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Shannon 37

She looks beautiful to me!

I’m not sure what your concern is regarding the in mast furling. I was always a jiffy reefing mainsail purist until I bought a boat with a behind the mast furler that I intended to remove. But now I really love it and would never want to do without on a cruising sailboat. You’ll lose a small amount of speed and pointing ability (very small) in certain wind conditions but in many other conditions you can easily have just the right amount of mainsail area up where a traditional jiffy reefing sail is stuck with only a few options. It’s also great for singlehanding because even in very rough conditions you can safely reef without ever leaving the cockpit. If the boat surveys well, I’d buy it. Ask the owner to give you some pointers and share his lessons learned regarding the furler. Take notes! There’s a learning curve to operating them well and you might as well grab a few shortcuts while you can. But you’ll very quickly begin to wonder how/why you’d ever do without.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Unless you plan on racing don't stress in-mast.

Yes it moves the center of mass further from the keel. And if you have either old sails, or are have a bad boom angle, it will jam. The good news is that this looks like a 2-line cork-screw system versus continuous loop furler. That means if it jams, it is MUCH easier to clear.

Bottom line- having logged thousands of miles, delivering many different in-mast rigs, including transatlantic- in the in-mast should not be a deal breaker. With good training and practice they are easier to work with then conventional rigs. Although on my boat,
I do not have in-mast. But then again I do race on occassion.

The issue I have is single handing it. With the traveler and main sheet at the front of the cockpit, trimming will be a PITA. Also while the bow sprit looks really sexy, docking will not be easy. If this is your first boat, I would look at other options. Or plan on carrying one semi-competent crew person.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:12   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Good review of the Shannon 37/38. https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...-37-39-vintage
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 15:59   #5

Does anyone know how its built? Is it all fiberglass or layered?
rexzy is offline   Reply With Quote