Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 10:17   #61

Re: Shipping a 32' sailboat from Antwerp, Belgium to Chicago, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
My suggestion ..... rather obvious, why not use the boat there? If the boat has VAT paid status, it is allowed to be there indefinitely. You will only be able to stay limited amounts but you can find yards easily that will take care of your boat.
Are you suggesting that I buy the boat, but leave it in Belgium? And occasionally fly over to use it, and when I'm not there, leave it on the hard in a yard?

I love that idea, but that sounds complicated, and expensive between flights and haul ins/outs, and it sounds like the boat would only get used 3-4 times/year and from my understanding, boats that are left unused, whether on land, or in the water, essentially rot?

Perhaps I've misunderstood your suggestion?

I would love to have a little floating apartment in that part of the world, in any case.I', just not sure how often I could realistically get over there.

What I really want to do is take like 18 months off and just go over and stay, sail around The Netherlands for a while.
Verichai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:21   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping a 32' sailboat from Antwerp, Belgium to Chicago, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Are you suggesting that I buy the boat, but leave it in Belgium? And occasionally to fly over to use, and when I not there leave it in a yard?

I love that idea, but that sounds complicated, and it sounds like the boat would only get used 3-4 times/year...

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

I would love to have a little floating apartment in that part of the world, in any case.
Buy in Belgium and keep in Holland would be a better option.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:24   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sheesh! Buying a yacht that one does not live aboard is always a bit fiscally unsound, but doing so with the plan to only visit it 2-4 times a year (at the end of an expensive and perhaps forbidden trip), and paying for its maintenance in the interim... that's madness in my view!

Fiscally unsound, frustrating, not satisfying the desire to go sailing when it strikes... gawd, so many downsides, and all because one has fallen in love with a picture.

Not for me for sure!

Jim
Old 15-04-2021, 16:41   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh! Buying a yacht that one does not live aboard is always a bit fiscally unsound, but doing so with the plan to only visit it 2-4 times a year (at the end of an expensive and perhaps forbidden trip), and paying for its maintenance in the interim... that's madness in my view!

Fiscally unsound, frustrating, not satisfying the desire to go sailing when it strikes... gawd, so many downsides, and all because one has fallen in love with a picture.

Not for me for sure!

Jim
Don't look at me, Jim. That was @Lemsteraak 's idea!
Old 15-04-2021, 17:08   #65

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

There’s a Cape Dory 31 for sale in Bayfield WI, on Lake Superior.

Oh, now I see “sale pending”...
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 18:19   #66

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Don't look at me, Jim. That was @Lemsteraak 's idea!
Sorry mate! Didn't mean to pick on you... just venting!

Good hunting...

Jim
Old 16-04-2021, 05:35   #67

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I bought my current Hans Christian 33 in Cartagena, Spain in 2019 and had her shipped across to Newport, RI and then sailed her home to South Carolina. I shipped with Seven Star, and though I ended up really disliking my agent, the company delivered my boat safe and sound. The HC33 is 41' LOA and displaces about 20,000lbs. I paid $16,500 to ship her, which included insurance and importation fees/paperwork. It was a little bit of a pain here and there, but in the end it was much easier on me and the boat to ship it as opposed to sailing it across, and was probably cheaper in the long run as well. It's not a difficult process, just do your research. If you have your heart set on that boat (like I did), you can make it happen. Ignore the naysayers who will tell you it isn't practical. Nothing about owning a boat is practical.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 05:53   #68

Boat: Nonsuch 30

What about a Monsun 31? They are fine boats although getting long in the tooth too. Saw a couple in remote parts of the world on circumnavigations. The younger folks on really tight budgets were on Vegas, those with a few more bucks (or kronor) had Monsuns. One for sale in Curacao. At least it is on the right side of the pond. Crossed in 2019 after a lot of work done on the boat including new engine. Still has original teak deck it appears.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...un-31-3821788/
Old 16-04-2021, 07:03   #69

As a fellow Great Lakes sailor I’ve been where you are. Over a cold cold winter it’s easy to be seduced by a pretty face and start dreaming of things like teak decks and brass fittings. But the thing about sailing is........ACTUALLY SAILING! While those things make for great pictures on the inter webs, none of those things make the sailing any better.

We’ve had a boat on Lake Ontario now for many years and I’ve learned a few things I didn’t know when I was where you are.

-the season is short. Really really short. Every hour you have to spend working on your boat is one hour less you are sailing your boat.

-Life is short and uncertain and children grow up fast. Every year you spend looking for ‘just the right boat’ is another year you’re not sailing.

-boats are expensive. Old classic boats doubly so.

-Owning a beautiful boat is great. Owning a beautiful boat you can’t use because something is broken and you don’t have the money or time to fix it is a unique kind of suck.

You poo-poo production boats like Catalina’s and I understand because I did too for many years, but there’s a reason there are so many of these boats out there. People like them! They are solid well thought out boats for the most part, comfortable, reliable and easy to sail and plenty tough enough for weekend warriors like me. Parts are available and cheap(er) and any problems are just an internet search away from a solution. As low maintenance as a boat can be.

I’m preaching with the zeal of the converted because we traded in our 35 year old unicorn with all that wonderful teak for a Catalina and I couldn’t be happier. Now we look forward to weekends with the kids sailing, with working on the boat being only a minor consideration.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:46   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping a 32' sailboat from Antwerp, Belgium to Chicago, USA

The advantage of teak up North is it lasts so much longer..
Tropics kill dead teak, the live trees love it.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:16   #71

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Yes, I'm suggesting you take advantage of having your boat over in Europe. Why ship it back immediately, see if you like it and if you don't give it back to the broker to sell. It is super cheap to travel by boat in Europe. For example, you can stay on your boat in Six Havens right in the center of Amsterdam with full security and all for less than $30 a day. Usually most places are $15 a night and many moorings and tie ups are free.

The other point I'd like to make is to arrange to have a Dutch or Belgium broker rather than have one here. The reason is that an American broker would be using an agent anyway. Here is a broker that was referred to me https://www.transportpartners.com

You have an automatic visa for three months, but the boating season starts late April and goes to late September so it is quite short. If you need longer, you can get an extended visa in the Netherlands or whatever country you want. The EU doesn't offer extended visas.

It is also quite reasonable to moor your boat over there, roughly half the cost of the US. You can also arrange to have some real craftsmen make any modifications you want. The Euro is high but you can get a very skilled craftsman for 30 - 50 Euros as opposed to here in the US where you are charged $100 plus for anything done in a yard.

Just trying to think out of the box and extend your possibilities. To just ship a boat over seems to me to be a missed opportunity.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 11:57   #72

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

hey again,

yes, it is true that folks up in the northern countries tend to take good care of their ships. this is mostly because sailing is a way of life up there, but also partly because of winter, and how boats are often kept in dry storage through the cold months.

now, i find it interesting the the broker said that the vindô is all done-up new. i do not doubt this in the least: this is a well-reputed broker over here. i've never seen a ratty boat on their site. everything is tip-top. however, i've seen this particular gal on the market for two or three years now. and yes, i confirm all of the pictures from the dock are brand new, yes, but a few (the ones at anchor) date.

so many here have suggested that you look closer to home. i concur.

maybe someone already pointed you here, but the Baba 30 is really and truly a dream boat, a joy to sail, a gem to cherish and love, and can heave to easily.

i've been following this gal since she came onto the market (know her backstory, if you are interested - yes, i get scoops sometimes). anyhow, she is out of reach for me but i've been watching to see if she goes. she deserves a good home! she does NOT have teak decks (be thankful, believe me!) but still has plenty for you to do to make her happy.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/82056

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:58   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
That sounds to me, like you want a BABA 30
So upon your advice, I looked up this boat, and you're correct. I like it quite a lot. It reminds me of a more manageable, more affordable, Hans Christian 33...the same old-world nautical warmth and obvious build quality. I like it very much, thanks for recommendation!
Old 16-04-2021, 14:00   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I bought my current Hans Christian 33 in Cartagena, Spain in 2019 and had her shipped across to Newport, RI and then sailed her home to South Carolina. I shipped with Seven Star, and though I ended up really disliking my agent, the company delivered my boat safe and sound. The HC33 is 41' LOA and displaces about 20,000lbs. I paid $16,500 to ship her, which included insurance and importation fees/paperwork. It was a little bit of a pain here and there, but in the end it was much easier on me and the boat to ship it as opposed to sailing it across, and was probably cheaper in the long run as well. It's not a difficult process, just do your research. If you have your heart set on that boat (like I did), you can make it happen. Ignore the naysayers who will tell you it isn't practical. Nothing about owning a boat is practical.
Hello! I think you and I had a conversation on reddit after I reached out and asked about the ownership experience and realities of your HC33. I appreciate the advice here as well!
Old 16-04-2021, 14:06   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
Yes, I'm suggesting you take advantage of having your boat over in Europe. Why ship it back immediately, see if you like it and if you don't give it back to the broker to sell. It is super cheap to travel by boat in Europe. For example, you can stay on your boat in Six Havens right in the center of Amsterdam with full security and all for less than $30 a day. Usually most places are $15 a night and many moorings and tie ups are free.

The other point I'd like to make is to arrange to have a Dutch or Belgium broker rather than have one here. The reason is that an American broker would be using an agent anyway. Here is a broker that was referred to me https://www.transportpartners.com

You have an automatic visa for three months, but the boating season starts late April and goes to late September so it is quite short. If you need longer, you can get an extended visa in the Netherlands or whatever country you want. The EU doesn't offer extended visas.

It is also quite reasonable to moor your boat over there, roughly half the cost of the US. You can also arrange to have some real craftsmen make any modifications you want. The Euro is high but you can get a very skilled craftsman for 30 - 50 Euros as opposed to here in the US where you are charged $100 plus for anything done in a yard.

Just trying to think out of the box and extend your possibilities. To just ship a boat over seems to me to be a missed opportunity.
All fair points and I don't this idea. If I wasn't so weighed down with a mortgage and a marriage and a job and if we weren't coping with a global pandemic, I would be very open to something like this. Appreciate the insight!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, shipping