Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 18:39   #16

Re: Shipping a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Yes - it's much cheaper right now. I'm seriously considering it. The hardest part for me right now is just the 30-45 days needed to bring her over with a crew.
Time vs money vs other resources not to mention long crossings are not easy on any boat. We are weighing up all these as well.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 19:08   #17

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

I shipped mine back in 2016. Picked up around NY and dropped off in Eastern Med. 31 feet LOA boat fit on top of a flat container. Cost about 12K USD at the time. Smooth experience. Paid the destination port $250 for lift into the water and the customs $200. It took about three weeks and she was back in the water. Used seven seas transport.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 06:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shipping a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Yes - it's much cheaper right now. I'm seriously considering it. The hardest part for me right now is just the 30-45 days needed to bring her over with a crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
Time vs money vs other resources not to mention long crossings are not easy on any boat. We are weighing up all these as well.
That's where people like Snore and Paul Annapolis come in.. they carry your load..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 18:23   #19

i just wanted to share some info. I am evaluating buying a boat in washington. so beside the cost of purchase and the amount I will have to spend to bring it back to life. I thought why not trail it to my daughter farm in virginia. good excuse to visit and fix it. the trail it to chesapeake and start my voyage down to the caribean. that idea is 16k jut to get it to VA.

then i thought why not shipitvia ocean. Well first it will have to be moved to vancouver then will sail to florida. then to US virgin island. not Puerto Rico . That is only $76k dollars. So the best bet is buy it very low and cheap so it can be fix to the extend to sustain a voyage of 60 days. Or what a friend of mine said, buy something closer to PR and will cost perhps cheaper. I will keep ding number crunching and projection. that will keep e busy
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:14   #20

Boat: Watkins 29

Im considering making an offer on a small catamaran on the Pacific Side of Panama. Has anyone had any experience shipping smaller boats from Panama, either the Pacific or Caribbean side, back to Florida?

My offer is predicated on the cost to get the boat back to Florida. Its a coastal cruiser and Im 74. Neither of us are suited for an extended open ocean sail.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Im considering making an offer on a small catamaran on the Pacific Side of Panama. Has anyone had any experience shipping smaller boats from Panama, either the Pacific or Caribbean side, back to Florida?

My offer is predicated on the cost to get the boat back to Florida. Its a coastal cruiser and Im 74. Neither of us are suited for an extended open ocean sail.
How small? Once through the canal, it is a fairly straightforward trip. Just need to catch weather window.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, shipping