Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 13:05   #46

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: Shopping for a Blue Water Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
So I offer you an article (link below) that will clarify the forces acting on a sailboat that has been “knocked down”. A few moments of study will show you that no sailboat, whether in charter or in sole ownership, will remain “knocked down”. A grown-up sailboat with a keel will ALWAYS right itself even if it has “turned turtle”.

https://wavetrain.net/2013/05/16/mod...ing-stability/

That's not correct and the page you link to states that a boat will remain stable upside down once past the angle of vanishing stability and will have to wait for another big wave to turn to right. With today's wide beams, flat tops and a very narrow keel I suspect the wait would be longer than ideal.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 13:34   #47

You could very well be right, Anders. But I rather covered that with my comment about CB boats and dinghies.

I myself do not willingly go where the "scattered waters rave", so I've never been turned turtle, and TP like your boat, from which TP doesn't differ significantly, would MOST CERTAINLY right herself unless stove in. Even then she'd right herself and sink with the keel nethermost :-)

I venture to guess, but have no proof, that in sea conditions that would roll a boat, the waiting time before another sea arrived that would knock her off her upside down equilibrium would be counted in seconds.

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 07:56   #48

Consideram oyster 39 or any other oyster from that time
kloekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloekj View Post
Consideram oyster 39 or any other oyster from that time

For 65k ??
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:36   #50

Try looking at a Pearson 422 or 424, with cutter, ketch, center cockpit versions. A great cruiser, well made older production boat, and you can probably find some in your price range - in fact I know of a ketch coming up for sale in the west coast - FL.
Bob k
Robert Kriegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:10   #51

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I suggest a slightly different approach: read.

Lynn and Larry Pardy wrote volumes on your topic.

Liza Copeland wrote about voyaging with kids.

John Pennington and Kara Potter wrote ORCA which is brilliant.

There are some great YouTube channels. Take a look at Holly Martin's Wind Hippie Sailing.

Fact is that a voyage is not about the boat as much as it is about the people. Do they adapt? I am a professional skipper and have delivered many types of boats offshore.

The boat you buy must make your heart skip a beat... just like your spouse does (once did?).

Norm on Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:50   #52

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Read....good suggestion.
Google John Kretschmers “Top 10 Water boats">Blue water boats ever built”.
I bought a 1982 cutter rigged Cape Dory 36 after months of reading.
It’s a tank. Beautiful lines, full teak interior, 1” thick glass, stepped keel (almost full).
You can run into stuff with this boat.
It’s narrow though, not a lot of storage, is a “wet sail” but moves like a train on tracks.
Brokers are worse than used car salesmen.
Find your boat, get to know the owner, pay for a REALLY good surveyor and be done with it.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 11:19   #53

Boat: Catalina 470

glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 20:51   #54

Boat: S&S 40

Maybe get some off shore sailing experience first.
People sail across oceans in all sorts of boats.
From simple to floating condos.
The 'it's only cosmetic' can be very misleading
Same applies to ' a bit of TLC' unless you know what you are doing, boat refurbishment is a bit more complicated then building a book shelf at home.
I would look for something around 36 to 38ft as a first yacht.
I am not too enthusiastic about french production boats sporting a high aspect ratio keel, having carried out a lot of structural repairs on them over the last 40 years or so.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 12:46   #55

You can stop now. As usual the original poster vanished after a day or two never to be seen again.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 21:44   #56

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
You can stop now. As usual the original poster vanished after a day or two never to be seen again.
I'm very wary of first time thread originators who ask a question but give scant details. I ask them to upload a photo of the yacht or ask them a question which requires some research. (Invariably you never hear from them again)

The Capt has posted 10 comments (all on this thread)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 05:33   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

BTW reading 20+ year old books is a good way to reduce boat selection to 30+ year old boats.

For the most part once I note people know little and and they start quoting old books I know the "educated" answer they might accept
Old 19-05-2021, 06:49   #58

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's not correct and the page you link to states that a boat will remain stable upside down once past the angle of vanishing stability and will have to wait for another big wave to turn to right. With today's wide beams, flat tops and a very narrow keel I suspect the wait would be longer than ideal.
A knockdown can result from a larger keel. Yes they may right themselves more quickly but are inherently more likely to be on their ear due to the broaching resistance offered by a larger keel. Your other points may be valid but there's more variables in this equation and how you get to a given result. Scariest broaching I've been witness to occurred in a 1925 design by Atkin. It was so common and hair raising that the owner's partner walked away from sailing for good at the end of one day of sailing in high winds and rough following seas. The boom spent a great deal of time in the water.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 06:54   #59

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW reading 20+ year old books is a good way to reduce boat selection to 30+ year old boats.

For the most part once I note people know little and and they start quoting old books I know the "educated" answer they might accept
This point can never be understated. A good friend tried to give me advice on buying my first boat and it was a list of all the same outdated boats by various builders. I didn't listen and when he came aboard our Beneteau for the first time he kinda got why. He thought it was like a house. That was my point. If I'm living in something it's a good thing to make it liveable. This guy was not a rank amateur with 15 transatlantic crossings by this time and yet had been advising me without ever being aboard a modern boat.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:21   #60

No offense to OP. This is more of a generic rant. Probably because so many of these threads have surfaced, post-Covid.

The "I'm looking for a Bluewater Boat" has all the hallmarks of a greenhorn. If you really knew what you were looking for, or really had a good grasp on what a 'Bluewater Boat' was, then this is not the question you'd be asking.

Nobody logs onto a Motorcycle Forum and says "I'm looking for a Sport Bike". It's usually, "I've narrowed my search down to <blah>, <blah>, and <blah>.....Here is how and where I ride."

I wish people would just ask the real question.

"I'm tired of life and want to live a life of adventure. I want to sail around the world and I want to do so safely and comfortably. Where should I begin?"

Instead, what we get is someone who has already made up their mind, and is insistent that they be told what they want to hear.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, shopping, water