Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 13:53   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Shopping for Crusing boat

If speed is a significant concern you probably should focus on cats. I would not try to cross an ocean on one but that's me. For coastal sailing no monohull comes close to a cat's speed.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:58   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Why go through the headaches of birthing a new boat when there are so many quality used boats available. Me? I would chose a racer/cruiser from the Great Lakes area and have a wonderful adventure getting her over to your stomping area.

Fresh water boats are in better condition, US dollar versus Canadian dollar is very good value, boats are on the hard during the winter therefore less wear and tear, all the kinks have been worked out of the boat....for me...the best way to go is used. Wish you luck.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:23   #18

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Interesting. I thought IP had closed up shop. Any new models at the show?
They have new owners, Leslie and Darrell Allan, whom I met last week. As soon as they acquired IPY, they lowered prices across the board and now working on improving the boats. The new model, IP349 (37' 10" LOA), which is a redesign of an IP360, will be released early next year. It will have a choice of a Solent or cutter rigs, and some other interesting features. For example, the Firefly Microcell Carbon Foam batteries are standard on all 2018 models.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:29   #19

Boat: Hylas 54

Don't get a shoal keel. For LIS and the northeast in general, go deep draft for better sailing performance.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
If speed is a significant concern you probably should focus on cats. I would not try to cross an ocean on one but that's me. For coastal sailing no monohull comes close to a cat's speed.
Disagree on this. Our previous was a 2004 Bavaria 42. So sort of what the OP is considering, albeit a couple of generations old. It would sail at a max of 8-9 knots on a beam reach with main and Genoa in about 15 Knots true. 7-8 knots was more typical.

Our current is a Seawind 1160 cat. Does the same sort of speeds, though under a small self tacker rather than Genoa. A performance cat lke a schionning will go faster if kept light, true.

But similar production spec speed is similar in my experience thus far.

The cat has many advantages however, and we can go into bays our previous deep draft keel kept us out of.

I really think any production type yacht named thus far won't dissapoint the OP.

But what do I know? We brought the bavaria on a whim after a quick test sail, didn't look at any others and had never sailed a yacht before! Didn't even bother sailing our seawind either. Just had a look a grabbed it!
200MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:23   #21

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

We were at the same show on Saturday and looked at the same boats. IMHO dual wheels are an incredible waste of cockpit space in a mono-much more useful in a 40'+ catamaran. We immediately discounted any mono with two wheels as the vast majority were less than 30" apart...

We are also shying away from the Euro boats with a saildrive...this subject has been beaten to death in other threads. Overly mechanically complex IMHO.

Not really on topic but as a racer of 40 years and Stiletto owner, the Stiletto was my show favourite - fast + stylish, did I mention fast...and had a tiller. That's how you manage a high-performance craft! Nautitech Open 40 was also fabulous but consumes too much our budget.
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:53   #22

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 40

Over the weekend we got a look at a 2010 Oceanis 46 out of the water. Loved the overall layout (2 cabin) and has been extremely well cared for. From the reviews we have found it seems that the she is a comfortable cruiser that sails well in light air and can handle heavy air as well. Has anyone owned this model, ever sailed on one?
Laur1118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, shopping