Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 10:55   #1

Boat: Malo 47
Should I buy a Malo 47 or HR43?

We are a husband and wife crew looking for a our next boat. We will not live aboard for more than a few months at a time, but want enough space to accommodate up to six people (inc us). We have boiled it down to a Malo 47 or HR 43 but wonder whether the Malo might be a bit big for the two of us to handle. Any views on either boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Freedom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:05   #2

Boat: Scanmar 40
Re: Should I buy a Malo 47 or HR43?

Go for the Malo, no problem with two people handling her and probably a more rewarding sail.
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:34   #3

How will you be using the boat? Coastal cruiser on fair weather days only? Crossing an ocean?

These are quality, true Water boats">blue water boats. If you intend on using it as a light duty coastal cruiser, you may spend less money on another brand or type of design. You will also get more spacious accommodations.

However, if you need to make extended passages which require more storage and tankage, then these both are excellent choices.

HR versus Malo is a bit of a toss up. Condition of the boat, maintenance and equipment are key. Better to have a well maintained 43, then project 47.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:45   #4

HR is more known name world wide which might help you the day when selling her becomes interesting.

Both boats are built in the same Swedish area known for it´s handcrafts in boat building.

...but of course, the condition of the boat is number one....
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:57   #5
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
Go for the Malo, no problem with two people handling her and probably a more rewarding sail.
I dunno, hard to imagine any cruising boat too more rewarding to sail than the Frers-designed HR 43... I brought one north from Trinidad a couple of years ago, we had a very fast trip, I thought it was an awesome sailing machine...

Probably just me, but when someone poses the question on a sailing forum whether a 47-footer is too much for them to handle, without giving any indication as to their age, fitness, sailing experience and so on, I'd be more inclined to suggest they might want to go with the smaller of their 2 choices ;-)

When the breeze pipes up, that HR 43 is plenty to handle, at least for me... It's a very powerful boat, for one of its size...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:01   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

If it is a choice... the Malo. Hands down.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:08   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Nope...HR hands down...he he he
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:59   #8

Boat: Shopping...

I know both of them. And I think any will filfull your dream!!
Old 16-02-2015, 22:03   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Looking at the pictures of the Malo on yachtworld, I did not see an inner forestay. Now, they may well have a removable one that I did not see. However, if your usage will be to cross oceans, then it will be useful for you to have an inner stay from which to fly smaller headsails.

We moved from a 36 footer to a 46 footer, and, as long as the winching loads stay at the 36 ft. level, or you have electric winches, I agree that handling the 47 foot Malo should not be out of the question for a mom & pop crew. Remember to size winches to the weaker of the two crew.

However, unless you will be 6 often, perhaps the HR 43 would suit your needs better. The smaller boat will have smaller loads, smaller blocks, etc., and smaller marina fees, if that matters to you.

If you've looked at both, can afford both, and still are having trouble deciding, flip a coin, heads for one, tails, the other. If you don't like what the coin "told" you, then choose the other.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 17-02-2015, 05:23   #10

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Assuming you're looking at a used one the Malo 47 seems pretty pricey(atleast on YW),for a bit less you pick up a used HR 48.though choice.Good luck!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Freedom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:25   #12

Ann,

I agree with you about removable staysail: rarely in use. But when you do use it, you're very happy to have it and may well save the day!

You can see the staysail wheel and on other pic, the attachment bracket aft of the anchor locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0103.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	97275   Click image for larger version

Name:	2128049_19.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	97276  

Old 17-02-2015, 06:40   #13

Something nice about the Malo: You can go from ''racing'' mode to the all-buttoned-up ''cruising'' mode in about 10 minutes:

The cockpit enclosure is up to the task: In 2013, we sailed from St-Lucia to Barbabos.
This is a closehauled sail. We sailed at 30-31 deg. app. wind of 24 to 30 knots.
A lot of spray overhead but absolutely no water in the entire cockpit. And the wrap-around real glass let you see what's coming at you. Took 18 hours. No tack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0008.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	97277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8519.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	97278  

Old 17-02-2015, 11:09   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Well choose a Rolls(Malo) or a Bentley (HR) - upto you
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:28   #15

Boat: Liberty 458

6 people on a mono is like living in a frat house. We have a Liberty 458. Perfect liveaboard and blue water cruiser for two. We never have more than 2 extra guests and only for a few days at a time.

Have you tried what you suggest? A cat would be better suited maybe.

As for handling 43 versus 47 it doesn't make any difference. If you can handle one you can handle the other.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote