Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28   #46

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: SHOULD I buy this boat? 35FT Steel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfrog007 View Post
Seems to me one benefit nobody mentioned is that If you rebuild or refit your own boat you know EVERYTHING about the boat and how to deal with any issues the best.
Well, you sure would know everything about how YOU did things, but that doesn't mean you did it well or correctly. You may end up finding out how much you didn't know about boat building and boat systems once you try and cruise with it. That can be a very expensive lesson. Buying a boat that is closer to the way more experienced professionals first put her together might save you a bunch of tuition at the school of hard knocks.

I'm not making any comments about your personal abilities, just making a general observation.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfrog007 View Post

If anyone knows of any between 1k - 10k please let me know, otherwise I'll have to settle for looking at pictures for a few more years.
Naw. With that budget you can find a perfectly decent pocket sailer if you take your time and look around. Lookie here and there are others out there.

“RENT TO OWN” Liveaboard! 25' foot Catalina sailboat ! | Marathon | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 8747978

If you can have cash in hand and look around you will find people who inherited a boat and just want it gone for not a whole lot of money.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 13:52   #48

Ok guys, what's wrong with this one? 19,000 for a 48ft seems like something has to be wrong!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976...2195530/Canada

Ferro cement suffers from the same back yard builder rep as steel, so I guess step 1 would be ensuring it was built correctly.
topfrog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:53   #49

Boat: contessa 32

There are many reasons that one boat costs much more than another.Until you know them pass up on the "good deals".
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:15   #50
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

topper hermanson built small steel hulled sailboats in fernandina beach in NE florida. i saw one of his designs on the market a few years ago .. maybe you could look for one.
Old 19-06-2011, 19:28   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
topper hermanson built small steel hulled sailboats in fernandina beach in NE florida. i saw one of his designs on the market a few years ago .. maybe you could look for one.
There is a beauty in my marina. Then there is one down in Indian River Marina that you could throw your hat through the rudder or keel. Also a lovely boat but what a project it would be.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 06:55   #52
CFR

forget it forget it forget it........ by theway if you want to sail away in some years maybe you should spent your time going sailing instead of working on rust all the time. i know many couples who get divorced after the boat was restored because to spent years working at night and the weekend will not help your relationship........ work and safe money and buy a much better boat because even if a boat looks perfect from the picture believe me you will have to spent a lot of hours and money to make any boat ocean going.......
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:13   #53

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

As a former boat builder and professional Captain for over 35 years my advice is to RUN the other way!! Just from the pictures you can tell the rust is very deep and everywhere! The hull was not properly prepped. Listen to CFR! Buy something you can use right away. There are too many good buys out there!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:17   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

IFF you can weld, IFF you can do work yourself, IFF the boat instills a passion in ye-- then buy it. if not-- dont.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 07:59   #55

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay

There is a BIG difference between being able to stick two pcs. of metal together and being a "Welder".
As a Certified Weld Inspector for 15 years, I would suggest taking a welding course at your local college at a minimum before putting your lives at risk due to a faulty weld. The metal in boats is constantly in motion and requires knowledge of the materials and how they are subjected to the stresses acting upon them before ever striking an arc.