Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 18:13   #16

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Single handed catching a mooring in rough seas

My method for single-handed mooring pickups is similar to the above, but a small tweak makes it even easier imo.

I prepare a line from the bow cleat back to a stern cleat or to a winch, depending on what's convenient to reach from the cockpit. I also clip an oversized Caribiner onto this line, keeping it near me in the cockpit. I pick up the mooring from the cockpit, and clip the eye on the mooring pendant into the Caribiner. Then I'm pretty much done. Usually the boat will settle back downwind on its own, and the Caribiner will slide itself up to the bow cleat. Sometimes I have to give a little reverse on the engine to get it to slide. Once the Caribiner slides up to the bow cleat, the boat settles and rides to the mooring as normal. I then have all the time in the world to make my way to the bow and rig the bridle through the pendant, before finally unclipping the Caribiner. The whole time that I am up at the bow messing about, the boat is securely on the mooring, hanging from the bow cleat, and behaving in line with the other boats in the mooring field. That last point is why I think it is a superior method particularly in a tight mooring field, because my boat does not swing differently from any of my neighbors while I am slowly and methodically going forward to hook up the bridle. Added to the fact that I don't have to leave the cockpit during any part of the maneuver that can get screwed up, and I've found it to be very effective in any conditions I'm willing to go out day sailing in.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:38   #17

Boat: Cal 39 MKII

Wow, I really like all the responses, but this last one would appear to match up to much of what I am intending with the types of wind, sea, and current that can occur at my marina in Casco Bay. I will try this on a calm day first to practice. Thank you all for your informative and thought provoking options.
I am surprised however that no one uses the technique of tying off a line at the bow, bitter end in the cockpit, and looping the end through the pennant eye and walking it up to the bow. My concern with this approach was the hauling 30+ feet of line aboard behind me as I walk the pennant up to the bow. Thought this technique would be used by a bunch of folks.
The carabiner that you use is it a climbing one, if so how big do you recommend?
Thanks again
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:54   #18

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

How about this:
Run dyneema through a swim noodle and connect ends making a loop. Attach swim noodle loop to middle of mooring line. Run a line from cockpit line inside shrouds to snatch block at stem and back outside to cockpit. Attach grapnel hook to bitter end. Sail by, throw grapnel through swim noodle loop (it's easier to toss a grapnel than grabbing a line and hooking on a carabiner). Haul in from cockpit with winch if necessary, or better yet vertical windless at foredeck. End of mooring line comes up to stem, grab it and cleat it. Remove and stow grapnel, snatch block and line.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 07:32   #19

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyman View Post
Wow, I really like all the responses, but this last one would appear to match up to much of what I am intending with the types of wind, sea, and current that can occur at my marina in Casco Bay. I will try this on a calm day first to practice. Thank you all for your informative and thought provoking options.
I am surprised however that no one uses the technique of tying off a line at the bow, bitter end in the cockpit, and looping the end through the pennant eye and walking it up to the bow. My concern with this approach was the hauling 30+ feet of line aboard behind me as I walk the pennant up to the bow. Thought this technique would be used by a bunch of folks.
The carabiner that you use is it a climbing one, if so how big do you recommend?
Thanks again
Sorry to be super slow in responding. Yes, the carabiner I use is an aluminum climbing one. I recommend getting as big as you can find, because the mooring pendants are sometimes quite large. You want one with a gate that opens nice and wide to allow a thick line to pass through.

Before I got the carabiner, I was using a block with a quick-release shackle for the same job. The block was run through the long line to the bow ahead of time. Then I used the quick-release shackle to attach to the eye of the mooring pendant. The carabiner is definitely easier, but both ways worked.

Tags
mooring, single