Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 12:08   #1
smo

singlehanded cruising a j-22 sailboat

Still looking for a small fast sailboat to set up for cruising on the great lakes. (for day sails, short hops up the coast, and possibly a lake crossing )
I'm an ex camp cruiser (amf sunbird daysailer/small cuddy) and sea kayaker so have more backpacking like accomodations ideas rather than yacht like accomodations.
I am lookin at the j-22 with the idea of adding more floatation, a couple rows of reef points to main, a roller furling jib, secure hatches and hatch boards, and auto pilot and pipe berths and a backpacking stove and small cooler. I don't need a larger boat with a larger cabin

does anyone have experience setting up a racing boat like this?

thanks

smo
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:32   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: singlehanded cruising a j-22 sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo View Post
Still looking for a small fast sailboat to set up for cruising on the great lakes. (for day sails, short hops up the coast, and possibly a lake crossing )
I'm an ex camp cruiser (amf sunbird daysailer/small cuddy) and sea kayaker so have more backpacking like accomodations ideas rather than yacht like accomodations.
I am lookin at the j-22 with the idea of adding more floatation, a couple rows of reef points to main, a roller furling jib, secure hatches and hatch boards, and auto pilot and pipe berths and a backpacking stove and small cooler. I don't need a larger boat with a larger cabin

does anyone have experience setting up a racing boat like this?

thanks

smo
Well you ask some interesting questions.
And I am sure here on the forum you will get some differing opinions.
First I have to be honest and state I have never set up a boat as you describe however I have many years of experience both owning and racing several kinds of J-Boats. Also I have some cruising years under my belt so I will give it a go.
The J22 is a very easily sailed stable forgiving boat.
I would argue against putting reef points in the mainsail!!
The boat is stable in 25-30 knots of breeze with just a main and a lot of backstay. Sailing anything over that and you are in survival mode and I would simply run bare poles. I honestly think the extra windage and weight of having double reefing lines in such a small light boat would end up working against you. And keeping with the windage angle I would also argue against a rolled furling jib. I cannot imagine having the windage of a rolled up headsail working against me in 30+ knots of wind on a boat as light as a J22. It would be safer and easier not to mention cheaper to simply have your headsail on hanks and drop it to the deck when the time comes.
Just prepare the boat so that all halyards lead aft and are in easy reach of the helm. I would spend the money saved on new standing rigging so the mast doesn't go over the side in a blow.
As far as your hatch covers and extra flotation ideas , I would say go for it. There have been several of the early J 24's sink because of the cockpit locker filling up with water in a knockdown.
In conclusion I think a J22 could give you what you need and it sounds like you are off to some great times. These boats can take a lot when properly handled, just make sure you have acquired the skills needed and never forget you are in a very light displacement boat when planning your adventure.
All the best!
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:38   #3

Yes. I agree with the above suggestions. More important to keep her light. Rather that a roller headsail, leave that big race headsail at home, fit a non-overlapping jib. Sounds like fun.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:13   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

You might also consider a catalina capri 22. It's not quite as fast as a j22 but it really does sail well and is much less expensive. I weekend cruise mine and there is plenty of room in the cabin, much more so than the j22. It has a large cockpit with room for 6.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 10:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo View Post
<...>
I'm very much in the same process now. I was very attracted to the J22 as it seems to be a fast and easy-sailing boat. I also wonder about the J24.

What is everyone's thoughts on that? I wonder if the light weight of the j22 makes it a poor choice as a family cruiser. I will do mostly practicing performance sailing and family cruising; I do all of my racing as crew on a J105 and this is to hone my skills.

I thought of the J24 because it's more spacious, heavier (does that make it more stable?) and has lifelines. I have two 6 years old girls and wonder if not having lifelines is a bad thing. I like the 22 because of the lighter line pulls (good for family helpers), lower cost of maintenance, and some say better design.

I'd love any advice others have to offer.
barthrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:33   #6

You can refer to my previous reply regarding the J22 which basically would be the same thought process for the J24.
However there are differences in the boats.
The J24 has more room down below, however the 22 has a much more comfortable cockpit!
I think the 24 is a more fun boat to sail and has a better feel on the helm. The 24's are pretty much a neutral helm boat.
There are a lot of 24's to choose from however most are beat to death with wet decks (core saturation). However that can be fixed with some effort.
Limited cruising with a family would be tough on a 22 less on a 24 if you can put up with hardware everywhere and no place to really sit without coming in contact with some piece of deck hardware.
Also the 24 needs a genoa in light air to move and I would definitely only recommend a non-over lapping headsail for cruising with a family.
So......if your priorities are sailing pleasure then go for the 22 or if you want more protection from the elements while at anchor then the 24.
In a blow then it would not matter to me if I were in a 22 or 24.....they both have their limitations.
Despite the small size J-Boats, they can really take a beating when compared with other production boats of similar sizes.
I recommend them strongly.
Just make sure the standing rigging is sound and your tiller is not going to come apart and you should be fine.
Have you checked the prices on the J27 or 30?
Good luck and happy adventures.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:38   #7

oh yea I forgot about the lifeline question.
Lifelines are good. In fact you can put netting over your lifelines for added safety.
I have seen J22's with lifelines!
ciao
Old 26-06-2013, 12:11   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

This is a 'responsive' boat and you will need an AP (if at all) that has quick lock to lock. You may skip the mickey mouse models and go right for SPX-5 or EV-100. Ouch.

I too would skip the jib furler and rather invest in a furlable kite on a retractable sprit.

Looks fun project to me. Good luck and let us know how it evolves.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Have you checked the prices on the J27 or 30?
Thanks so much for the great advice.

I have considered the J/30, but not the 27. My immediate criteria is something under two tons so that I can dry store it at my club. If it's too large then my dock fees and winter storage costs go way up. Part of this project is to see if the boat has enough family appeal that we are willing to invest in something big and plush.

I notice that the J/27 is shockingly light. The J/30 is definitely too bit to store on-site, but a J/27 may be possible. I will also look around for one of those!
barthrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:39   #10

I know of some J27s that sold around 8K recently.
Asking prices will come down.
At one time Rod Johnstone told me that the J27 was one of the sweetest sailing boats he had ever designed.
Large cockpit, fast beautiful sailing boat and you have some room down below!
Goes to weather like a freight train yet stable with a kite.
In another life and many moons ago I owned Hull #1
I have raced the boat extensively, in fact I started the J27 Class association and hosted the first North Americans at our Yacht Club.
But more importantly to you is that I have also cruised the boat with a family.
I have sailed mine offshore for limited distances and have been in some squalls with the boat and I cannot say bad things about it.
Unfortunately, like others the itch for something bigger came after 4 years in the boat but I still remember the J27 days fondly.
Again good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 26-06-2013, 13:52   #11

Boat: Islander 36

Hi smo,
Have years of racing in on a j/22 on Lake Huron and years more on j/24 in SoCal. First, have to respectfully disagree with caradow about the fun factor on the j/22 vs. j/24. The j/24 offers up exponentially more boat bites than the j/22. The 24 feels sluggish to me while the j/22 is nimble. I've not single-handed either boat, but have double-handed and I think the j/22 is much easier to sail. j/24 in a double-handed situation gets over powered quickly and you need to put up the blade. in big wind j/22 is happy with back stay hanked on and main only.

Some of the other posters suggested Catalinas. If you're not racing, a small catalina a 22 or 25 or even 27 might be a little better. Early on (when I was 20) I had a share in a capri 22...had the cutest roller furler and was so easy to trailer and sail. Then I had a Sirius 24. Great boat had a swing keel and I did a lot of Lake Huron overnight trips with her. I think the catalinas are more plentiful and maybe cheaper.

This time agreeing with caradow, I wouldn't put any reefs on the j/22.
Hope this helps.
cealpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 15:48   #12

Sorry for the typo.
I intended to say the 22 is a better sailing boat than the 24!!!
cealpotts is absolutely correct
by far the 22 (like the 27) are better designed and therefore better sailing boats than the 24.
the 24 was just in the right place at the right time.
thanks for the heads up cealpotts!!!
only difference is in my opinion if the conditions deteriorated, I would feel safer in J-Boat rather than a Catalina.
sorry if I offend anyone, just my opinion and this forum does have a difference of opinion from time to time.

Tags
cruising, sailboat