Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 04:20   #46

Re: Sirius 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning1 View Post
We have sailed our Sirius 40 DS “Amazing Grace” in the last six years about 20.000 sm. Frankly spoken we were happy that we could avoid stronger than 8 Bft. But up to this we can state that she behaves very well in the waves. No banging and bashing as she has not a flat bow. Also inside you can everywhere hold yourself. You don’t fall around as on some modern designs. Especially the pantry is perfectly designed to cook there in all kind of weathers. You can squeeze yourself in there and always watch what happens outside.
I always wondered about this but does the Sirius have any contingencies for the unlikely scenario of water ingress through the saildrive and rudder tube? With twin keels it seems the saildrive is somewhat exposed. From looking at the construction photos torsten sent it seems a lot of the areas around the engine and rudders are interconnected for ease of access to the engine. Conduits and heating ducts also seem to pass under the waterline through the main cabin, these I suppose can be plugged in an emergency.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 16:21   #47

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I always wondered about this but does the Sirius have any contingencies for the unlikely scenario of water ingress through the saildrive and rudder tube? With twin keels it seems the saildrive is somewhat exposed. From looking at the construction photos torsten sent it seems a lot of the areas around the engine and rudders are interconnected for ease of access to the engine. Conduits and heating ducts also seem to pass under the waterline through the main cabin, these I suppose can be plugged in an emergency.
I asked Sirius this very question about the saildrive recently. I like the idea of twin keels to reduce the draft, but I worry about under water debris collisions with the saildrive offshore.

Sirius' response was that they haven't heard of issues, but they would build something to protect the saildrive if I wanted.

Sirius doesn't have any water tight compartment aft. I do believe they have one forward for collisions.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 18:29   #48

Boat: Tartan 28

Quote:
We have sailed our Sirius 40 DS “Amazing Grace” in the last six years about 20.000 sm. Frankly spoken we were happy that we could avoid stronger than 8 Bft. But up to this we can state that she behaves very well in the waves. No banging and bashing as she has not a flat bow. Also inside you can everywhere hold yourself. You don’t fall around as on some modern designs. Especially the pantry is perfectly designed to cook there in all kind of weathers. You can squeeze yourself in there and always watch what happens outside.
My wife and I have seen your webpage and media. Appreciate you sharing your experience with us. These seem like such great boats, but there is very little video and info online to pour over while we save and dream!
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 18:42   #49

Boat: Tartan 28

Quote:
Oops. more like 50% increase in displacement. Anyway, not a small number. Buying these second hand is europe means most of the time the owners want to recoupe their 19% VAT so depending on age might be better to buy new. I remember a second hand 35ds popping up on the sirius site briefly a few years back for about the same as new ex VAT
You are right about the VAT. We saw a used 2012 35 last year that was nearly as much as we could get a new one for without VAT. I’m afraid with such a low number of boats, high resale value, and the fact that most boats are in Europe with VAT paid, there wont be any good used deals to be had outside of the EU.

Quote:
good questions, but if you look at this boat out of the water, the sail drive is so far back that the bottom fo the sail drive isn’t really any lower that the bottom of the hull in the lowest point. In addition, it would have to be a really narrow obstacle that would miss both keels and hit just right to miss the bottom of the hull, perhaps on a wave to hit the sail drive. You could always get a normal shallow draft keel if you want something to take the brunt of a rock on the centerline?
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 19:34   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
I asked Sirius this very question about the saildrive recently. I like the idea of twin keels to reduce the draft, but I worry about under water debris collisions with the saildrive offshore.

Sirius' response was that they haven't heard of issues, but they would build something to protect the saildrive if I wanted.

Sirius doesn't have any water tight compartment aft. I do believe they have one forward for collisions.
Yes, the chances are small, but nearly every water ingress I've seen are either ridder or sail drive related. It wouldn't be a deal killer, and if you really had to you can probably fill some of the conduits with foam or run them above the water line. However there are boats out there in the same price range that deal with it better, but you take your other compromises....such is boating eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
You are right about the VAT. We saw a used 2012 35 last year that was nearly as much as we could get a new one for without VAT. I’m afraid with such a low number of boats, high resale value, and the fact that most boats are in Europe with VAT paid, there wont be any good used deals to be had outside of the EU.

good questions, but if you look at this boat out of the water, the sail drive is so far back that the bottom fo the sail drive isn’t really any lower that the bottom of the hull in the lowest point. In addition, it would have to be a really narrow obstacle that would miss both keels and hit just right to miss the bottom of the hull, perhaps on a wave to hit the sail drive. You could always get a normal shallow draft keel if you want something to take the brunt of a rock on the centerline?
The chances would be vanishingly small for sure. The biggest danger in flooding is probably anchor dragging then the rudder backing onto a coral head or rock, the skeg should help with that though.

One thing I might also investigate a bit further is the integrated boarding ladder on the transom of the 35ds. The slot opens into the hull right behind the rudder, could be a point of ingress if seas are slapping the back of the boat, but I'm sure it's sealed with a gasket.
Old 13-11-2020, 21:27   #51

This just popped up in my recommendations. Damn google is freaky.
Old 14-11-2020, 09:04   #52

Quote:
Just a quick thanks for sharing your videos online. We found them on the Sirius site. Curious if you considered the 35 and maybe why you went with the 40 instead? Thanks again
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 14:10   #53

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:

This just popped up in my recommendations. Damn google is freaky.
Thanks for posting this! I shall watch.

Google is listening to us. But in cases like this, it's... for the best (???)
NedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:15   #54

Boat: Sirius 40 DS, 40 ft

Hmmmm, frankly spoken we felt safer with two keels than just one. We are not aware of any statistics but we assume that you rarely hit something straight 360 degree at the bow and it will pass this way under the boat to the saildrive or the rudder. It’s more likely that it will come from a certain angle, esp when the boat is healing and then the two Keels are probably a better protection.
Any special measures inside: probably not but we can close the hot water tubes from the engine going to the water heater in the midship cabin
Old 16-11-2020, 21:29   #55

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Henning Your site is really attractive, informative and fun. Those videos are really well done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 25-11-2020, 11:30   #56

A bit off topic but at least a couple Sirius owners here that may have an answer. I have read that Sirius does not actually build there hulls and decks so who/where are they built and how does Sirius oversee there production. The quality of Sirius is at such a high standard I’m curious how they maintain it for this critical phase of construction?
Old 26-11-2020, 03:28   #57

Boat: Sirius 40 DS, 40 ft

This was an important point for us as well and we went with Torsten the CEO of Sirius, into Details. Here are the facts. The yard has gone through quite a process in the making involving a thorough research deciding for two companies with very good and long-standing reputations in parallel. One 40 year old Company in Germany and one 30 year old family owned 1.000+ employee business in Poland. Both companies had Sirius guys working with them for several weeks using Sirius moulds, materials and quality sheets. It was planned as a redundant Strategie in the first place but whereas the German guys where very difficult to work with, constantly finding „creative“ ways around they way Sirus wanted to have it done and kind of reluctant to tips, the polish guys did not stop to amaze Sirius all the time and where nearly instantly above the quality and technical advanced possibilities Sirius had developed for themselves in the 40 years before. After two years Sirius had to pull the plug on the German company and they fell out of business a year later anyhow. Since than the partnership with Poland works excellent, Sirius still getting a daily picture report form the works in progress, still getting their quality sheets filled out for each step in detail and they have a dedicated team working proudly only for the Sirius parts all year round. Sirius states that it is one of the best partnerships they had in 50 years!
We as boat owners receive by the way also weekly pictures throughout the whole production process, which by the way a very helpful documentation if you have to repair something hidden behind
Henning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 04:49   #58

I wonder if it's Delphia. Delphia made a really cool 46DS which is a bargain if you manage to find one. Unfortunately Beneteau bought them and shutdown the sailboat division.
Old 26-11-2020, 21:58   #59

Quote:
This was an important point for us as well and we went with Torsten the CEO of Sirius, into Details. Here are the facts. The yard has gone through quite a process in the making involving a thorough research deciding for two companies with very good and long-standing reputations in parallel. One 40 year old Company in Germany and one 30 year old family owned 1.000+ employee business in Poland. Both companies had Sirius guys working with them for several weeks using Sirius moulds, materials and quality sheets. It was planned as a redundant Strategie in the first place but whereas the German guys where very difficult to work with, constantly finding „creative“ ways around they way Sirus wanted to have it done and kind of reluctant to tips, the polish guys did not stop to amaze Sirius all the time and where nearly instantly above the quality and technical advanced possibilities Sirius had developed for themselves in the 40 years before. After two years Sirius had to pull the plug on the German company and they fell out of business a year later anyhow. Since than the partnership with Poland works excellent, Sirius still getting a daily picture report form the works in progress, still getting their quality sheets filled out for each step in detail and they have a dedicated team working proudly only for the Sirius parts all year round. Sirius states that it is one of the best partnerships they had in 50 years!
We as boat owners receive by the way also weekly pictures throughout the whole production process, which by the way a very helpful documentation if you have to repair something hidden behind
Thank you so much for the detailed information. We have corresponded with Torsten but unfortunately are in a holding pattern until we can get to Germany post COVID. Have many questions like this but waiting to discuss. Really helpful - all the best.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:19   #60
Marine Service Provider

We have just finished the yacht delivery of a Sirius 40 DS. A really great yacht.

Here's the film:

Pete
PeteTheDeliverySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote