Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 09:29   #61

Boat: Sirius 40 DS, 40 ft
Re: Sirius 40 DS

Very nice and Journey, esp for November!! Saw your after Gibraltar on marine traffic, was impressed by your speed! Hope you have enjoyed the decksalon 😇👍
Henning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:56   #62

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheDeliverySkipper View Post
We have just finished the yacht delivery of a Sirius 40 DS. A really great yacht.

Here's the film:

Pete
Thank you for posting this! Definitely going to look you up when I get around to buying my 35ds.

I realize you weren't doing a review of the yacht, though I must confess, when I saw the route you were taking, I was expecting to see how she handles in a blow with that relatively high profile.

But it looks like you lucked out with the weather! Biscay looked kind of like Lake Champlain!

Two questions (because we're on an internet forum, I'll preface by assuring you that these aren't intended as snark or criticisms; I'm genuinely curious and not afraid to be naive):

At one point, it looks as though you were maintaining over 9 knots, and not because you are surfing. What were the conditions like for that?

Also, there's a point when you appear to be going downwind but the sails look like they're set for a close reach. I notice that a lot on these videos, and I'm wondering if it's an optical illusion because the camera can't really convey camber (kind of like the way the waves never look as big on a video or a photograph as they actually are).

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:11   #63
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Thank you for posting this! Definitely going to look you up when I get around to buying my 35ds.

I realize you weren't doing a review of the yacht, though I must confess, when I saw the route you were taking, I was expecting to see how she handles in a blow with that relatively high profile.

But it looks like you lucked out with the weather! Biscay looked kind of like Lake Champlain!

Two questions (because we're on an internet forum, I'll preface by assuring you that these aren't intended as snark or criticisms; I'm genuinely curious and not afraid to be naive):

At one point, it looks as though you were maintaining over 9 knots, and not because you are surfing. What were the conditions like for that?

Also, there's a point when you appear to be going downwind but the sails look like they're set for a close reach. I notice that a lot on these videos, and I'm wondering if it's an optical illusion because the camera can't really convey camber (kind of like the way the waves never look as big on a video or a photograph as they actually are).

Thanks!
Great! ;-)

We had over 30kts of wind and tide with us when we reached those speeds.

I'm not sure which bit you mean with regards to sail trim. Possibly an illusion, possibly trimmed in to keep the sail off the spreaders... Not sure.

Pete
PeteTheDeliverySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:01   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheDeliverySkipper View Post
Great! ;-)

We had over 30kts of wind and tide with us when we reached those speeds.

I'm not sure which bit you mean with regards to sail trim. Possibly an illusion, possibly trimmed in to keep the sail off the spreaders... Not sure.

Pete
I think it's an illusion created by the optics of the camera. It's something I've noticed on a few videos where the camera is aimed at the foresails and you can't see the positioning of the main boom. (Definitely not a knock on your seamanship.)

I love the positioning of the galley on these boats.
Old 07-12-2020, 17:08   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post

Agree - great simple video and fun to see the 40 sailing. So many YT videos only give you the tropical sundowner version of sailing - even if the winds were moderate for this time of year the 40DS appears to sail well.

We will also be keeping your contact handy as we arehave our fingers crossed on moving forward with a 35ds later this year - C19 permitting
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:25   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
Agree - great simple video and fun to see the 40 sailing. So many YT videos only give you the tropical sundowner version of sailing - even if the winds were moderate for this time of year the 40DS appears to sail well.

We will also be keeping your contact handy as we arehave our fingers crossed on moving forward with a 35ds later this year - C19 permitting
Pete's new problem: Fending off the long lines of Sirius DS buyers who want him to deliver!