Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 15:54   #1

Sirius Sailboat question

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am currently in the market for a sailboat. I've looked at so many different models and options and finally I'm getting it tightened down to what I want. The Sirius 35 DS or the Fisher 34 sailing Yacht. Both great looking boats that I believe are exactly what I am looking for although in different form factors. One problem....I live in the United States and both are made in Europe. I have found some old Sirius and Fishers around Canada and while that is an option, I would love to start out fresh.

So here's my question. Who makes a well built Pilothouse sailboat in America? Or....this is the real tough question. Many times the tooling from one boats hull is easily rebadged over seas under another name but its still basically the same boat. Does anyone know if either the Fisher or the Sirius are made in American under a rebadged name?
Selten Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 21:07   #2

Re: Sirius Sailboat question

What a great question. I, too, am new and I recently became aware of Sirius yachts...wow is what I say to the design because pilot house with a wheel inside and a tiller in the cockpit is awesome, not to mentioin many other cool and well thought out features. I'm hoping for more insight on them so I'll subscribe to this thread. Here is a great video about the 3100DS
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 23:51   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Why didn't they come up with something new. This has existed for 30 years.

Moody Eclipse 33 review
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selten Sailor View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am currently in the market for a sailboat. I've looked at so many different models and options and finally I'm getting it tightened down to what I want. The Sirius 35 DS or the Fisher 34 sailing Yacht. Both great looking boats that I believe are exactly what I am looking for although in different form factors. One problem....I live in the United States and both are made in Europe. I have found some old Sirius and Fishers around Canada and while that is an option, I would love to start out fresh.

So here's my question. Who makes a well built Pilothouse sailboat in America? Or....this is the real tough question. Many times the tooling from one boats hull is easily rebadged over seas under another name but its still basically the same boat. Does anyone know if either the Fisher or the Sirius are made in American under a rebadged name?
The fisher and the Sirius are different boats being the fisher a Motorsailor and the Siruis a much better sailing boat.

This type of boats are made in very small numbers and it is not to be expected that they have a world dealership, in fact they have none, not even in Europe and the provide assistance using reputable repair shipyards all over the world. It is a family business and I talked sometimes with them on Dusseldorf boat show and I know that they have sold boats has far as Japan. Very nice guys (father and son).

If you decide that you want is a sailing boat with a strong engine and not a mototsailor there are some other boats you should look at, namely the Nordship 36. I know also the owner and builder, a great guy and a very serious one. This small brand has dealers in Europe but i am sure you can make an arrangement with Lars so have a shipyard of your confidence making assistance and responding to warranty claims.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:27   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why didn't they come up with something new. This has existed for 30 years.

Moody Eclipse 33 review
This is a type of boat ( true deck saloon) and they exist for many years as other type of boats like Aft cockpit sailboats or center cockpit sailboats.

What is new regarding these boats is that they are not anymore slow boats but good sailing boats.

Take for instance the Moody 33 that you posted and compare it with the Nordship 36:

As you can see in what regards hull and appendices design there is nothing in common. Only the configuration of DS is common between the two boats.

Many have a wrong idea that older boats have a better AVS , a better final stability and are safer. Each case is a case but as a rule that cannot be more wrong and those two boats are a good example.

The Moody has a B/D of 33.3% but the ballast is very inefficient due to the small draft of the keel (1.45m) and to a keel that is not bulbed. Those 33.3% of B/D correspond to a much smaller ratio on a modern keel design, like the one on the Nordship 360.

The Nordship 360 has a 33.8% B/D a slighter bigger one than on the Moody but one that would correspond to one with a hugely bigger ratio on the Moody. The Nordship has much bigger draft (1.8m draft) and an incomparable more efficient keel that is composed by a steel foil with a lead torpedo at the end of it. No possible comparison between the safety stability on both boats, being the one on the Nordship vastly superior.

Than in what regards sailing, again no possible comparison, the Nordship is a much better and faster sailing boat. That huge diference in stability (I am referring to it proportionally to boat sizes) translates in the ability to carry much more sail and the modern building techniques used on the Nordship allows it to be as strong and proportionally much lighter.

That shows clearly on the SA/D with the Moody with 13.8 and the Nordship with 20.23.

Note that the Nordship is not a performance boat, the Nordship had always been designed as good offshore cruisers, like the Moody in its time. Well, it still is a good boat but contrary to what you imply there are a huge diference between the two boat's in all counts and a lot of "new" in what regards the Nordship in compassion with the Moody.

All the "new" comes from the design evolution that separates the two boats, around 25 years and the evolution is not only on the hull, just compare the interiors:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat