Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 17:12   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Sitting in the yard since 2018 Should I worry?

Just a little experience with buying a new old boat. Recently bought a 1976 early MkII Sabre 28 with a less than 100 hour Yanmar 2GM engine. The boat had been semi derelict in the water for more than two years. It had been donated to a Yacht Club Youth Program when the owner's died but title issues took the Club two years to get clear title to be able to sell it. The owner's had obviously suffered an extended illness or age disability before that so could have been 5 years or more that the boat had been sitting in the water unused.

The engine had been started and run at idle while the Club was clearing the title. Unfortunately that turned out to be a mixed blessing. Running the engine at idle, however long it had been, resulted in the exhaust mixing elbow clogging up almost immediately after i took possession. Didn't realize what the problem was and melted the plastic muffler which turned out to be a major hassle as I had to replace not only the muffler but the exhaust hose as well. The muffler manufacturer changed the exhaust diameter by just enough that the existing 1 1/12" exhaust house had to be changed to the next larger size. With the only access being through the stbd cockpit locker and lazerette, it took some major boat yoga to make the change, a lot of longish walks to the engine store for parts, and half a boat unit expense.

Fortunately the mainsail had been stored below with only the 120% genoa left on the furler exposed to the elements. The UV cover did it's job but the mold and moss inside the furled sail made it the ugliest looking thing I've seen and the stains were permanent. They'd also left the dodger up. It was totally green, the cloth and stitching UV damaged. Managed to save it though the mold stains are permanent and it's got enough patches to qualify for a band-aid advertisement.

The running rigging was near terminal from UV damage and mold. Replaced the main sheet, genoa sheets, vang, main out haul, and mainsail reefing lines. The halyards were wire/rope and the wire was a rat's nest of fish hooks and the rope tails badly deteriorated by UV. Trashed them after getting a number of fish hook cuts and replaced with 5/16" dyneema cored line. Fortunately got T900 main halyard on eBay and the rest o close outs at a consignment store. The spinnaker halyard and pole topping lift had gone 'walk about' so had to replace them also.

Fortunately the owners had bought a brand new set of North sails, main, 150%, 135%, and 120% genoa just before they stopped using the boat. There was also an older spinnaker, reacher drifter, 160%, 140%, 100%, and storm jibs. Since the boat had been sailed in windy SF Bay, only the 120% and 100% jibs looked like they'd had any use.

The Winches were all non self tailing. I mostly single hand and have gotten a bit addicted to self tailing winches. Moved the primary sheet winch to a secondary spinnaker sheet position and picked up a pair of Lewmar 40ST winches off eBay and 16ST's from Craig's List for the halyard winches. All at less than 1/2 discounted new.

The electronics were toast. Found NOS Raymarine ST-60+ knot meter and depth sounder for $500 on line. Bought a new VHF radio and GPS Plotter. Compass globe was so frosted couldn't read the card so had to buy a new Contest 101. The switch panel used fuses and for some reason I haven't figured out, turning one switch energized other circuits at half the voltage. Got a deal on a nifty new Blueseas circuit breaker panel. When I get rountoit may re-wire the boat as the PO's work has a close resemblance to a birds nest. It came with a tiller autopilot that didn't work. Had to buy a cheap multi-meter to figure out the electrical plug was bad. Got it back on line for new 12v socket.

The PO had done a weird job of adding a holding tank. You could use a pump out facility or pump the contents out on the deck to empty the tank. The odor from the head was over powering and the tank wiped out the only hanging locker. Ripped out the whole head system and installed a C-Head which nearly wiped out another boat unit but no more stink, got the hanging locker back for the foulies, and just a little hassle to maintain it.

Someone had cranked the vang down too tight and put a permanent bow in the boom. Got a deal on new US Spars boom through Mack Sails. Surprisingly cheap from Mack but still most of a boat unit.

Paid less for the boat than what the bare Yanmar engine cost so no big thing making the improvements. I get the use of all the boat and nearly new gear for a 1/4 or less what a new boat would cost. May even be able to sell the boat for what I've got into it. Not really that concerned about the money, it's just the kids inheritance, and I get a lot of satisfaction working on and sailing the boat. Oh!!! and it's a really sweet handling solid boat that's a joy to sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 17:30   #17

There are lots of possibilities for problems, but could be zero problems.
A diesel engine should be fine sitting a year and a half. There may be an issue or two; impellor problem, fuel filter growth. But not game changers.
The boat itself it depends on circulation in the interior, but this is self evident.. musty moldy smell?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 19:03   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcarreiro View Post
My first boat. Just looked at a 81 Sabre 28’ MK II with a 2005 Yanmar 2GM Diesel
Is it bad for a boat to sit unused for a year and a half?
Others have pointed out stuff to check, but FYI my friend's Yanmar 3GM sat on the hard for 8 years (marina totalled, stuff happened). He drained/changed fuel and started her up, then we ran it without a hiccup at 2800 for three days bringing her home. 18 months is nothing.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote