Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 22:29   #1

Skookum 47, any experience or information?

Hello,

I'm curious about anyone who may have experience or information on these boats. I'll tell you what I know so far ;

- heavy full keeler
- cutter/ketch rigged
- solid glass and thick
- center cockpit

Could anyone shed any light on the sailing performance or other considerations for this boat?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tradewinds-47

The boat was also known/sold as a "Tradewinds 47".

Thanks in advance!
brewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 20:51   #2

Re: Skookum 47, any experience or information?

I have one.

Mine is completely custom, built by a master shipwright from a bare hull.

Each one being custom finished. other than being from the same hull mold, apparently is the rule.

The intended original design/purpose, from what I have seen and read functions often as a long line fishing sailboat/sail driven troller capable of staying at sea for long periods with a fish hold capacity of 15 K pounds. Saw one outfitted for this purpose, hauled out in Port Angeles, WA. in 2018.

Mine is fitted out as a comfortable ocean cruising live aboard. S Pac. X2 + numerous trips to Alaska by previous owner who built her from a bare hull.
lowergard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 14:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowergard View Post
I have one.

Mine is completely custom, built by a master shipwright from a bare hull.

Each one being custom finished. other than being from the same hull mold, apparently is the rule.

The intended original design/purpose, from what I have seen and read functions often as a long line fishing sailboat/sail driven troller capable of staying at sea for long periods with a fish hold capacity of 15 K pounds. Saw one outfitted for this purpose, hauled out in Port Angeles, WA. in 2018.

Mine is fitted out as a comfortable ocean cruising live aboard. S Pac. X2 + numerous trips to Alaska by previous owner who built her from a bare hull.
Very interesting, yeah the ones I've seen online seem to have variable levels of finish.

Could I ask you how she sails and how much she weighs? I'm looking at the details on sailboatdata and she seems well ballasted (40%) but a bit undercanvassed at around 14.8 SA/D.

I dont expect it to be a fast boat, but I'm hoping maybe to make 5 knots in 10 knots of wind. From what I've read it sounds like the hull is very full keeled, but easily driven.

I'd love to hear about your experience with that.
Old 18-12-2020, 15:04   #4

Very stout built. That's all I know other than already mentioned really. I've seen a couple in process in Port Townsend years ago.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 16:29   #5

The examples I have seen appear to be totally custom from bare hull so that would include ballast amounts/materials as well.

Mine weighs about 53K pounds and while full keel seems to be somewhat tender. The previous owner agreed and suggested adding ballast ... while not specifying how, although I have some ideas. The slack bilges could also contribute to being somewhat tender. That said, based on experience I do not have the impression that the boat feels at all unsafe in a blow ... the opposite being the case.

She is definitely slow at most points of sail in light air, compared to modern sloop rigs, especially while on a tack ... 5kts in 10 mph breeze while on a broad reach is definitely possible though.

Mine is a ketch rig and most of the drive is created by the mainsail.

IMHO definitely not a beginners boat or the ideal boat for a single handing.

Definitely a rugged go anywhere design built for crossing oceans.
lowergard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 16:53   #6

That's sort of interesting to hear that the boat feels tender. The design specs would have it at a pretty respectable 40% ballast to displacement ratio. Perhaps the prior owner skimped on high quality ballast and ended up a bit under spec.

Either way, all very interesting information.

Tags
enc