Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2023, 08:56   #1

Slips around Palm Beach County?

Hi,

First post.

We just made up our mind that we will buy a sailboat. Leaning toward a Bene 41 or a Jeanneau 409. Just based on my limited research, it seams 5.1 feet is the lowest draft they come in. Please do correct me if I am wrong. I am ready to start looking at some but clearly the parking will be an issue.

Any idea what marinas have slips available that can accommodate a boat like that within 1h driving distance to the palm beach area? I am thinking up to Stuart and down to FLL.

I realize it is very hard to get a slip.

Thanks!

Z
zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 09:46   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Slips around Palm Beach County?

Not trying to be facetious, but wouldn't it be faster to take the drive and ask at the marinas?

Another advantage of personal visit is that at one of them there might be a boat like the one you are lookng for already with a berth.

That is how I found mine.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 15:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Not trying to be facetious, but wouldn't it be faster to take the drive and ask at the marinas?

Another advantage of personal visit is that at one of them there might be a boat like the one you are lookng for already with a berth.

That is how I found mine.
I am just taking a rough guess. You are talking about 50+ marinas on the approximately 100 miles stretch of coast I have listed. It would take weeks to visit them all.

I started calling some today... as expected... waiting lists in some cases were 6y. $40-45/ft plus.
Old 17-07-2023, 15:33   #4

It's easier to find a boat to fit in a slip than slip that will accommodate a particular boat. I know it sounds bass-ackwards, but you may want to find the slip first, then the boat that will fit. It's that way in almost all popular boating venues. Boats have been built faster than slips for 50 years.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 10:37   #5

I’m on the west coast, so I don’t know if this would apply. However, if you are in the market to purchase a good, decent used sailboat, perhaps you might consider finding a marina that you especially like in a specific location that appeals to you and see if any of the sailing vessels may be for sale. With all those marinas in Florida, I would be very surprised to find that there isn’t a sailboat owner/tenant who might be ready to give up the burden of ownership and especially the freedom from sailboat ownership for a price. Just maybe you might find the boat of your dreams for a sweet price. Often times, slip tenancies are transferable.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 10:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
I’m on the west coast, so I don’t know if this would apply. However, if you are in the market to purchase a good, decent used sailboat, perhaps you might consider finding a marina that you especially like in a specific location that appeals to you and see if any of the sailing vessels may be for sale. With all those marinas in Florida, I would be very surprised to find that there isn’t a sailboat owner/tenant who might be ready to give up the burden of ownership and especially the freedom from sailboat ownership for a price. Just maybe you might find the boat of your dreams for a sweet price. Often times, slip tenancies are transferable.
All good ideas. I am looking at boats near us. Definitely easier to find a boat than a slip. It seams at this point I would take any marine from Miami to Vero Beach if the boat would come with a slip and sit on the waiting list, and work the way closer to us as slips come open. I am getting information about one specific boat right now, and one of the first question on the long list is: can you transfer the slip?

I think I will just have to hire a local consultant here soon. I will need a lot more than just a slip, and a boat. I will need hands on training, recommendations for everything. This forums will be great for equipment and other things but specific local stuff like a place to do repairs and upgrades, etc. Yeah I will need someone.
Old 18-07-2023, 12:02   #7

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

If there is a waiting list at the marina,and most have them, then the slip will probably not be transferable. Good advice to get boat first.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 12:20   #8

Three decades ago, my dad bought a sailboat in South Florida and finding a slip was difficult and usually expensive. The boat ended up being docked at a private house in Light House Point.

Might try homes with docks for rent as well as marinas.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2023, 10:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

In Croatia have more chance wining 3 time in row lottery jackpot vs take city public slip . ussualy waiting list is 30-40 year. (price 33 ft boat is 5-10€ month private marina is possible easy but price start from 600€ to 1200€ month.
winter town slip october-may possible around 100€ month. buying boat without slip is here huge mistake,costly mistake.
more is offline   Reply With Quote