Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2010, 16:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 30' seawind ketch
Small Boat Cruising

We're cruising on a 31' Allied Seawind and have been thinking (as most of us do) of a bigger boat. It's been exceptionally cold here in Florida which makes us think seriously of more space below. Instead of doing that (we love our little ketch), does anybody have some tips on how to make life on a small boat easier?
chartertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 17:14   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
Sorry for the weather...seems most are going to blame the weather on the neighbour to the north...yup, that's where it came from. My boat is shorter but bigger inside...and 6 tons. I recommend that anything you have not touched in the last year...get rid of it. I am an apartment dweller and have soo many things that I havent touched in a year...most would be gone. Not letting my guitar go yet. I will get the chance to live aboard someday soon.
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 17:19   #3

Boat: Irwin 40
I have seen a lot of boat (particularly from up north) with full canvas cockpit encloses. This seems like a good way to make a temp sun room and add an extra room to your boat for the winter season when you are mostly tied to the dock anyway.

Fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 17:28   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Go to a marina plug into shore and set up a nice ceramic heater. Get some good wine, get your fave food, a good book.

Paradise,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 18:55   #5

Boat: Bombay PH 31
my little ketch suits nicely.
I hang a quilt like everyone else does in stead of those darn slats in the door.
Tarps over hatchs to keep wind out and warmth in. cassorols in the oven insted of saldes etc,,
Matter of fact im going aft to climb under the blankets no.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 17:23   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
To keep the boat warmer, park her facing the wind. Then you have good control over how much ventilation (and cold!) you let in and when. We found that with some action and improvisation cold can be kept outside (and fun). One cool, errr - warm! ;-) trick is to place the heater so that it not only heats but at the same time forces the air to move by its own nature (heating the cold air and leting it drop by gravitation elsewhere). This way it takes more time to warm up the interior but the temperature is even throughout the interior an the comfort goes way up.

Act, improvise, hug ;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 20:23   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
great small stoves for cooking/heating www.marinestove.com
can be made to order in porcelain in various colors.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 22:52   #8

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Yeah, I lust for one of those stoves. But ... the one with the oven, tghe tgrue cookstove, costs 2875 in plain black iron. Right. Sigh. In my schooner, I had a Tiny Tot wood burning heater, and it was nice to have, but pretty ugly. These stoves by marinestove are very lovely pieces, especially if you pauperize yourself and have them made with porcelain finishes....
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 03:00   #9

Boat: seawind II Patience
Have a Newport solid fuel stove,cute & efficient.Something odd about sailor cutting firewood though.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 03:50   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I've been looking at bulkhead mounted diesel heaters. Small footprint, lot of hrs per gallon. Kind of pricey at $700 but am planning on some northern cruising in next few years. I'm also thinking of installing an engine heater. Why not take a small car rediator or heater core and rig one up. Could even heat cockpit and defogger on windscreen(we have tight enclosure.) Would be great on ICW when motoring.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 08:23   #11

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
My schooner had a large laarette in which I could carry lots of firewood. Yeah, it is pretty cool to anchor at some island and just gather dry branches and such for fuel. In my boats there are no engines, so diesel heaters are out. And kerosene heaters seem to put out too much moisture. Wood heat is best. Keeps the boat dry and cozy, even in winter. Nothing like a good book, hot tea and a wood fire when the snow is a foot deep on deck and tha anchor rode is nearly frozen. I am ready to go again ....
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 16:46   #12
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh I sooooo want one of these with the alcohol burner inset... but we have no room on our baby cruiser....

SARDINE STOVE INFO & SPECS.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 16:48   #13

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Keep sailing south????

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02   #14

I agree with the last comment, "keep sailing south" I lived in a marina in San Diego for twelve years and believe it or not we had ice on the docks during winter. I used a plug in small room electric heater and usually had to open the hatches because it got to hot. Underway I stayed withing the 20's and at night it was cold even their. I found that a solid dodger to break the wind way indispensable I also has side curtains on the cockpit area and my extra fuel in jerry jugs was lashed across the stern. I thus could duck out of the spray and wind. I usually sat in a sleeping bag at night laying thrawt ships at the companion way was the best. The problem with fuel type stoves is spillage and smell. Choose wisely if you choose this option and go on other boats with heaters before you buy.
doslocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Cross over to the Bahamas where it's warmer and you can have a free fire on the beach. I'd say it's been about 10-15 degrees warmer on this side of the stream in the Abacos. Warmer yet in the Exumas.

I also have a little propane heater for those really cold nights. It screws onto a 1 lb propane bottle. It was about $50.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote