Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2021, 06:44   #16

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Small cracks in gelcoat near the shroud base - problem or benign?

It may be nothing but given the age of the vessel, pull the chainplate.
It’s time to check .
We don’t trust moisture meters. 1/8” drill from below, pull a vac with a clear filter.
No water should be present.
Merry Christmas
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 06:43   #17

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

This looks like a cosmetic issue to me, not a structural one. Lots of boats built in the late 1990's and early 2000's have issues with gelcoat crazing. These appear to be hairline cracks and not something that I would feel threatened by. I'd inspect/re-bed the chainplates and then seal up the through-deck apertures really well and move on to the next project.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 06:46   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

I'd be a bit more concerned (albeit not overly) about the color of the chain plates where they come out of the deck. Looks like some corrosion. If possible pull the plates and give them a good inspection.
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:11   #19

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;3540373]Good grief...nothing more than brittle gelcoat under a little stress and therefore cracking…[QUOTE] I second this. I usually suggest worriers put some penetrating epoxy around these.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:13   #20

The real question is if water is intruding and rotting the wood. A surveyor should have a water meter to test the area. Also, inspect the area below deck for wood rot or rust. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed.
BelizeRumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:17   #21

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I agree /w those who say, 'no big deal', just normal stress cracks.
One feature I like, is the raised 'housekeeping pad', which insures that the penetration is never submerged in standing water.
Bingo!!!

(Housekeeping pad) one of those little details that could be easily done when the boat is designed/built that can make a difference down the road.

Thanks for bringing that out.

Happy new year to all!
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:33   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Gelcoat is unreinforced and has less elongation than the structural glass below it so it cracks much more easily that the fiberglass structure below it. Hairline crack can be nothing, but as suggested in the string above, do yourself a favor and check for leaks and any cracks in the structural glass.

I work at a marine consulting firm right next to the structural composite guys. Had then look at some minor stress cracks on my boat and they said not to worry about it.

Here is an article that you might find useful in describing the cracking:

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...elcoat-cracks/

Cheers!
KPRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:48   #23

Being this is a new boat to you, and this is the chainplate area, follow structural thinking and check the chainplates below deck and observe how they are secured, sound the general condition of the connected bulkheads, and if you can check along the bulkhead to hull tabbing to confirm all is sound. In any boat there will be flexure in these areas but it should not be producing any significant movement. Look for moisture stains, seepage etc. Those gelcoat cracks are darned minimal for the age of the boat and though they may be related somewhat to shroud tensions, honestly as these things go this is best case scenario. Though not a reason to pass on the boat, these are things to examine analyze calmly. It can teach you about the boat and how she moves. I agree with some others that a later checking of the caulking below the cover plates is wise at this age anyway. That is really a seasonal chore on all sailboats. When you buy it, rub it out and use a non slip deck wax such as woody wax or starbright as a minimal shield from additional penetration. So long as you see little worsening of the spiderlines you should be all set. and of course, learn to check the shroud tensions on the boat as well...some riggers tune em tight!
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:52   #24

Very very common. Not a deal breaker. What I would do if you want total peace of mind. Some time when you have nothing to do ha ha, pull the chain plates, then you can check their condition and check for any core issues. Best cure for the little cracks is to gouge them out with a Dremel or hand tool, fill and fair.

This above would be complete reassurance for you. And unless you see ANY signs of leakage down below, probably no panic needed.

Again, if its a great boat, this should not be anything even close to a deal breaker.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:00   #25

Boat: Omega 36

It is nothing, just ignore it.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:22   #26

Have somebody use a moisturize meter and check it. If it is not wet underneath I wouldn’t worry about it. If there is moisture then you have to deal with it and there are a lot of instructionals on how to do that. It is a PITA but fixable.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:47   #27

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidla View Post
Hi, just looking for some opinions on small cracks in the gelcoat near the shroud base of a late 80s, heavy displacement 42 ft monohull, cutter rigged. Barring any major issues revealed in the survey, I will be purchasing this boat. The vessel is in overall very good condition inside and out, and has been owned by the same owner for the last 10 years and continually maintained and upgraded.

The current owner has disclosed some small cracks in the gelcoat so that there are no surprises.

Any thoughts on whether these look like normal cracks from 30 years of normal hull stress and brittle gelcoat, or if it represents a larger problem? The current owner is reporting that these cracks have been there since they purchased the boat themselves 10 years ago and have not noticeably changed or grown.

Thanks!
Pretty normal, after all they are hairline cracks in the gel coat and appears superficial.
Generally they appear around stress points, like staunchions and in your case chain plates.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is a penetrating sealant, that can be can be poured into small [hairline] cracks that are no bigger than 0.8mm to 1.0mm wide. It has the consistency of water, and essentially works its way into cracks in a similar fashion. Filling cracks via a capillary action; its low viscosity, and specially blended, acrylic copolymers, create a watertight seal. However, it needs to be applied to a dry [& frost-free] surface, and takes about 24 hours, to properly set.
https://falsecreekfuels.com/wp-conte...spec_sheet.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, shroud