Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2024, 02:40   #1

Small water leak. Do not know what is this

Hi to everyone, hope you are having a good summer.

I just notice on my Moody 27, than i have some salted water, but not much. I check all the bilge, and noticed than is like a wood cone fitted there and do not have an idea where this is coming from. It look like a wooden plug, but. Is the bilge just below the front berth.

Did anyone knows for what is that, and how i can stop getting salted water from there??

Leave you some images

Best regards
Attachments
IMG_8276.JPG
4.9 MB · Views: 29
IMG_8275.JPG
5 MB · Views: 24
IMG_8274.JPG
IMG_8274.JPG
1.5 MB · Views: 34
Quote Reply •••
Peter Wright
Peter Wright
Peter Wright Moderator Member General Committee
Jul 7, 2024
Add bookmark
Hi Fernando,

That looks rather like an arrangement used on some of the bigger Moodys to drain the chain locker into the bilge - not a good idea in my view because you gget muddy smelly water off the chain in there.

It looks like a previous owner has tried to prevent this by fitting a wooden bung. If I'm right and he didn't provide an alternative chain locker drain, that's an even wose idea as the chain will live in salt water and all the galvanising will soon disappear.

Peter.

p.s. Hopefully a knownedgeable Moody 27 owner will be along soon. P.
Last edited: Wednesday at 8:41 PM
Like Quote Reply
Graham Simpson
Graham Simpson
Jul 7, 2024
Add bookmark
Hi Fernando
on my 27 the anchor locker drains through a hole in the bow and I also have the tubing through my bilges which I believe if you look you will see they are in the under the other access points for the bilges. I can only assume they are to help if you need to run cables from the bow to stern or stern to bow. I also get a bit of water in my bilges but have never found where it comes from but its not enough for me to worry about I just soak it up with a bit of kitchen tissue. I have attached a photo of my bow showing anchor locker drain hole .
regards
Graham
Attachments
20230617_131303.jpg
20230617_131303.jpg
106 KB · Views: 30
Like Quote Reply
Donald Beaton
Donald Beaton
Donald Beaton Member
Jul 7, 2024
Add bookmark
It affects most of range. It is a drain from the chain locker, not the anchor locker. A very simplistic method of draining the chain locker by Marine Projects and as Peter says, makes for a smelly bilge.
Like Quote Reply
Fernando Pineiro
Fernando Pineiro
Member Thread starter
Monday at 7:25 AM
Add bookmark
Hi guys, many thanks for your reply

Sorry, do not understand, what is the difference between the chain locker and the anchor locker?

Is any Recomendation to just block it and do not have any water coming from there? Will I need to remove the plug and filled with epoxy and finerglass. Or is something I need to have yes or yes ?

Many thanks again
Quote Reply •••
Peter Wright
Peter Wright
Peter Wright Moderator Member General Committee
Wednesday at 8:38 PM
Add bookmark
Hi Fernando,

The difference is clear from the names it's normal to store anchor and it's chain in separate lockers but they do get stored together in some smaller yachts.

Before blocking the pipe, you should look the other side of the bulkhead to see where it comes from and whether you can arrange another way of draining that area.

Peter.
Like Quote Reply
Fernando Pineiro
Fernando Pineiro
Member Thread starter
Thursday at 9:18 AM
Add bookmark
Hi Peter, ahh ok.

Is just really wired!!! I check the anchor locker, and water drains correctly through the chain locker.

I checked the bow compartments under the bed and looks all dry!

So where this comes from because is salted water really clean!!

Did I missing something?

Should I remove the plug and check if is old water?

Will any recommend to close this hole permanently? I would like to know where is coming from

Looking forward to hear from someone with similar experience

Great Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8274.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	292025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8275.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	292026