Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 11:09   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Smaller Bluewater Cruising Monos

In Lat 38, there's a W32 for cheap, located in Halfmoon Bay. If you have 450K, That will buy many boats. I'd stay away from cored hulls, in particular airex. You should be able to get a suitable vessel 32 to 36ft. I would not rule out Islander 36's. A W32 is a lot of bang for the buck. The Hallberg Rassy I have are top notch construction with never an issue of blisters which some W32s have been plagued with. The I-36, W-32 and HR 35s can all be had for under $50K.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 11:51   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't want to rain on your parade but it's the heart of winter in Tahiti. Papeete in their summer is not a pleasant place to be. Way nicer anchored in a lagoon where you can take advantage of the prevailing breezes but still hot in the summer.

Personally, would want to go through the canal just for the experience of having done it. One of the things on my bucket list. Unfortunately, it would add at least two months to the time to get to SoPac if that is your priority. Don't even think about shipping a boat cross country except possibly from Houston to San Diego. The cost is too prohibitive.

There was a solo sailer passing through on a very well prepared Contessa 26 this week. It's a very small boat though quite sea worthy. Don't know how Grant and Jackie managed to live on theirs for two years. Could see it as a solo but two people, never. Helped him move the boat over to the fuel dock so he could top off his tank. It's been a long time since I've been on a small boat. Really nice to be able to man handle the boat into the fuel dock and way more maneuverable than my 35 foot full keel boat. Got me thinking about downsizing. Theirs a salty proverb about the larger the boat the less it's used. From my experience, there is a lot of truth to that.

Built a 'Power Away' Westsail 32, lived aboard and cruised for 4 years. They are great open ocean boats but they are not small boats. Dispiacement is more than most modern 40 footers and overall length with self steering vane is closer to 42'. Length is not a big deal unless you are paying slip fees for the overall length. The weight and long keel make them ponderous to maneuver in tight quarters and they are a bit of a bus out sailing. Motion and maneuverability is slow and steady which is a major plus for passages but not high on the list for daysailing. Don't believe the Wetsnail rumors. They will easily sail to their water line length out on the open ocean. We averaged 118 miles a day for more than 10,000 miles with virtually no time under power. and two passages through the doldrums. Had the MD2b Volvo in our boat which supposedly had something like 25hp though heard it was less. It was plenty of engine for us and would drive the boat at an easy 5k cruise in calm waters. Made two deliveries of boats with 35hp engines and they were more responsive under power, however. 50 plus hp is just stupid unless you get the engine for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
I want to thank everybody for the great posts.

I think that we would be better off getting a West Coast boat. Even trucking the boat from a East Coast port to the West Coast probably would be cheaper than going through the Panama Canal.

The adventures of the crew of Lea Lea have been inspiring. I also read another blog about a couple sailing a Contessa 26. It is evidently for sale in the Western Pacific. I believe Tonga.

As I sit here in St. Louis Missouri, with it being in the low 90s both temperature and humidity I look at the current temperature in Tahiti and really wish I was there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 16:50   #63

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Smaller Bluewater Cruising Monos

I'd say anytime a W32 and Contessa 26 are in the same conversation, someone has some more thinking to do, Lucy.

Midwinter weather in Pape'ete: 82 F, 10% chance of rain, Humidity 66%, wind 8 mph ... that doesn't sound too bad.

Midsummer here on the Outer Banks was at least 192, it rained like stink, I'd guess an inch in an hour, and then the humidity went up to ... maybe 200 %. Wind in the rain blew my bicycle over.

Weather in Ferguson, MO: 93 F at 6pm. Probably gonna get hotter tonight.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 17:46   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade but it's the heart of winter in Tahiti. Papeete in their summer is not a pleasant place to be. Way nicer anchored in a lagoon where you can take advantage of the prevailing breezes but still hot in the summer.

Personally, would want to go through the canal just for the experience of having done it. One of the things on my bucket list. Unfortunately, it would add at least two months to the time to get to SoPac if that is your priority. Don't even think about shipping a boat cross country except possibly from Houston to San Diego. The cost is too prohibitive.

There was a solo sailer passing through on a very well prepared Contessa 26 this week. It's a very small boat though quite sea worthy. Don't know how Grant and Jackie managed to live on theirs for two years. Could see it as a solo but two people, never. Helped him move the boat over to the fuel dock so he could top off his tank. It's been a long time since I've been on a small boat. Really nice to be able to man handle the boat into the fuel dock and way more maneuverable than my 35 foot full keel boat. Got me thinking about downsizing. Theirs a salty proverb about the larger the boat the less it's used. From my experience, there is a lot of truth to that.

Built a 'Power Away' Westsail 32, lived aboard and cruised for 4 years. They are great open ocean boats but they are not small boats. Dispiacement is more than most modern 40 footers and overall length with self steering vane is closer to 42'. Length is not a big deal unless you are paying slip fees for the overall length. The weight and long keel make them ponderous to maneuver in tight quarters and they are a bit of a bus out sailing. Motion and maneuverability is slow and steady which is a major plus for passages but not high on the list for daysailing. Don't believe the Wetsnail rumors. They will easily sail to their water line length out on the open ocean. We averaged 118 miles a day for more than 10,000 miles with virtually no time under power. and two passages through the doldrums. Had the MD2b Volvo in our boat which supposedly had something like 25hp though heard it was less. It was plenty of engine for us and would drive the boat at an easy 5k cruise in calm waters. Made two deliveries of boats with 35hp engines and they were more responsive under power, however. 50 plus hp is just stupid unless you get the engine for free.
You certainly are correct bout the W32 being a little slower and a handful in a seaway. My Ingrid 38 was the same way. But we must consider at least 95% of our time is at anchor or "dread", a slip. There lieablity is what it's all about. Especially with a significant other onboard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 20:45   #65

Something else to consider is maintenance costs for a given size of boat. When we spent 2 years on the Contessa 26, with no motor, no electrics, no reefer, we were young and rather poor. Other than the Taco stands in Mexico, and Le Trucks in Tahiti, we almost never ate out. Ten years later we had a Peterson 44 in the Caribbean and we only occasionally ate out, but we had a diesel, lots of batteries, fridge, freezer, hot and cold water, most of the comforts, but still nothing more than a VHF for electronics, we averaged a budget of almost as much per month, as we had spent per year on the little boat. SIZE MATTERS , mostly for comfort, but GREATLY FOR COSTS. Just something to think about. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 21:18   #66

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

A very close friend of ours has sailed from California to Norway via the Indian Ocean on a Twister 29. svtwister.blogspot.com

Some other friends of ours have sailed from San Carlos, Mexico and have just made it to Madagascar on a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 but that boat might be more expensive than the OP wants to spend.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water