Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 21:34   #16

Re: Smaller sailboats

Hi Barnakeel Thanks Im probably going to go with the H28 again just a matter of finding a good one not to mention the $ Cheers Bernie
Bernie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:20   #17

Hey Bernie
My wife and I have done the whole cruising boat search saga and decided perfect is the enemy of good. While we wait for the bargain 46 footer to turn up we're not ...sailing so we've decided to start shopping for an H28 in NZ right now so that we "just have a boat we can use and live with". I suspect it will be a keeper though...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:47   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you can't find what you want in NZ, there may very well be some good ones available here in Oz.

fwiw, I agree completely with barnakiel's posts on this thread.

ann
Old 30-01-2016, 18:12   #19

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

One thing to remember with the compass H28s is that, like most production boats in NZ back then they were available from a bare hull so there are quite a few that were finished by their owners with varying degrees of competence. Not to detract from owner built though, some will be better finished than the factory ones.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 18:36   #20

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie10 View Post
Hi Newby so may mess up .
I was wondering what some people s thoughts are on the H28 fiberglass model. I had one and loved it and looking to buy another ,OR are they just to old. I don't intend doing any offshore sailing although there have been a lot of H28s which have been around the world. Will be used mainly on the east coast of New Zealand North Island I like the full keel and just the solid feel of the boat Impressed me. Any advise Thoughts Etc. Thanks Bernie
H28s were a very respected boat back in the day. Dont expect it to be fast though. Yes the full keel will give you a little more stability at the expense of maneuverability.
I assume you are looking at a ketch rig. Ketches are slightly more expensive to maintain as you have twice the standing and running rigging to look after.
As with all older boats, delamination and osmosis are the things your surveyor will be looking out for.
The price should reflect the age and design of the boat as more modern boats of the same length generally have a lot more room.
Keep us posted
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:23   #21

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

The compass built H28s were all masthead sloop rigged. The original wood boats were ketch rigged. I think John Lidgard, a well known Kiwi designer/builder did the design modifications to update it to make a halfway decent production fiberglass boat, if I remember right the mods included raising the freeboard by 4", a larger cabin, a sloop rig and maybe increased draft. There is a wood ketch in a friends yard here that is probably going to be cut up if no one wants it. The compass glass boat has vastly more interior space than the wood one.
It is a fallacy that a full keel is more stable, it is not, but it may track straighter than a fin keel boat at the expense of maneuverability.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat