Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 09:20   #31

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Smallest angle of heel

Also: Time on the boat is NOT the same thing as time on the helm with a patient, trustworthy expert showing her all of the ways to control the boat and its heel. There is no substitute for direct, hands-on knowledge of how the boat works and responds.

Also, every responsible captain should ensure that his or her principal crew members understand the boat and its critical systems, and are able to control the boat and communicate with the world in the event the captain can not. And if I were the skipper, I'd sure as hell want my crew to be able to rescue me in the event of going overboard -- and have a crew that is willing and motivated to do so.

You have done MOB/COB drills, right? If you are incapacitated or injured or overtaken by any emergency, quite possibly hours or even days from assistance, you are fully confident in your crew's ability to respond quickly and skillfully, right?
Old 26-12-2013, 11:04   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I still stand with the plan that, for island hopping in the Caribbean, the main variable is selecting the weather and the proper reefing when necessary.

In addition, even though my wife is comfortable with heeling and live aboard cruising for over forty years, she is prone to some light motion sickness. During times when she is subject to any potential nausea, she's most comfortable at the helm. It's much the same as many are aware that the driver of the car is less likely to become car sick.

I suppose your wife's issue is more the uncomfortable feeling with the heel than motion sickness, but it's likely that being in control at the helm will be helpful. Of course, all this requires her gaining experience as others have said above.
Old 26-12-2013, 11:34   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, again,

You guys are all approaching the issue of distraction, now, and I'll second it: it is just that if you have something necessary to do, your attention becomes task focused, to the exclusion of paying attention to what is bothering you. So, sure, being on the helm is good, it also places your body in the best physical position to keep your ears parallel to the horizon, which will help with motion sickness.

I do think, though, that as long as she is willing, skills training and experience is what will help most. Lots of women and perhaps some guys are put off by heeling; a long time ago there was a man, wife, and son on a Bounty 47, and she "wouldn't let the boys heel the boat"--and they went along with it. But when all is said and done, they were in Mexico, and enjoying it, and a lot of other folks were still wannabees.

Most women are both educable and can build confidence along with skill building, and as GILow said above, desensitization will occur with it.

I don't know whether the OP's wife reads CF, but the comment above relative to the skipper wanting/needing crew skilled enough to rescue both of them if need be, is quite germane. I hope she gets that message, too. Wives, for their own safety and well being as crew, need to acquire skills, and often a course is a good, usable way to do it.

Ann
Old 26-12-2013, 11:58   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

More input on the OP's question.... Without addressing the issue of converting your wife... Or looking for another compatible partner (Thanks Ann for post regarding this)....

My 33 OI heels less than about every other mono I've been on.... inexperienced guests are elated....

My 2 cents....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 12:27   #35
cruiser

Boat: A good sailboat, 26 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to tg32879

Well man, you will just have to go through your own experience. Just a tip! Report well your logbook and suddenly, when you report you went to sleep and in the morning, she was no longer to find on bord, you might go along with. Good luck
tg32879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 12:45   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I still stand with the plan that, for island hopping in the Caribbean, the main variable is selecting the weather and the proper reefing when necessary.
Not limited to the Caribbean. I don't like heeling and when we start hitting 15 degrees I start thinking reef. Newer design monos mostly aren't designed to need a lot of heel to get to design waterline and too much heel is just dragging the boat along while spilling ones drink.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:29   #37

How you sail and the rig will determine the amount of heel. I can't believe no one had suggested the ketch. My better half does not like the heel either so I went with a ketch. We can run jib and jigger at 7.5 knots in stiff 20+ knot wind on a broad reach with very little heel. For ease of sail and comfort I really like my ketch.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:32   #38

Boat: Morgan 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, again,

"I hope she gets that message, too. Wives, for their own safety and well being as crew, need to acquire skills, and often a course is a good, usable way to do it."

Ann

Thanks Ann. This is the plan.

I'm very grateful for the advise received.

Some comments about them

-Cats are not my preference, why? I don't know, perhaps for their slow tacking

-Ketchs will be added to my list

-Some suggestions about ballast, SA/D ratio were welcome

-hopping island and choosing winds is a good idea (I'm not commited with any calendar)

-We are a couple +50, I have experience in sailing for over 20 year, in small boats (15 to 25 ft) btw I compete in Snipe regattas.
My wife joint me few times, but in boats with "quick heeling" (in spanish are called "muy vivos" it means like "lively"), and she did not feel well.

However she is willing to try again and, a more stable boat will make her life happier.

Thanks for all the comments
ricorrea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 15:41   #39

Boat: O'Day 28

Good thread.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote