Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2013, 12:21   #1

Boat: Morgan 43
Smallest angle of heel

I'm looking for a monohull (32-40)to sail in the Caribbean with my wife. Like most women she doesn't feel very comfortable sailing on a boat difficult angle.

So, I'm looking for advise, between Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, Morgan, etc; which is the boat with smallest angle of heel at the similar conditions??

Thanks in advance
ricorrea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 12:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Smallest angle of heel

Of those on your list my Morgan is the heaviest I believe, but they haven't been made for a while and most on the market are pretty ragged. I think that you might do better considering other issues depending on your crusing expectations. If you're off for days at a time offshore then your question has more validity. If you plan to do coastal cruising and island hopping without a commitment calendar then the conditions that you choose will have a greater impact than any variables among these boats. I can recall many examples for ourselves. We were once anchored for a few days near Spanish Wells at Eleuthra with hopes to cross over to Little Harbor in the Abacos, well under a 100 mile hop, but the wind was close to the bow and at 25. We could choose to wait and pick our day being retired without commitment. One nice thing about the weather is that it's always changing and you can choose 15 to 20 knots off the quarter if you are crusing and enjoying where you are. Sure, we've been caught in short summer squalls or decided to take a rougher passage at times, but more than 95% of our sailing is casual. 'not because of our style of boat, but because of our choice of timing. Now, if you want to cruise from Maine to the Bahamas in twelve days instead of the three month crusie that we take, then the choice of boat would be more important, but for distance offshore even the multihulls will have some dramatic movement at times that might disturb your wife. The "Huntebenelinas" are all featherdusters that will perform well in light winds and provide more drama in the stronger winds, especially close hauled.

It makes life a joy when the lady aboard is happy.....

...do your best!
Old 24-12-2013, 13:54   #3

Monohulls heel. That's just the way it is. How much they heel has at least as much to do with how you sail it, as with the boat itself. If you want minimal heeling, get a catamaran. Otherwise you're just going to have to find a way to teach your wife that sailboats heel, it's normal, and she really doesn't need to be afraid of it.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 14:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, the fear that the heeling boat is about to sink is quite a common one. Women handle it differently, depending on their motivation, partly; some are actually quite brave and continue to confront the fear until it goes away. Or they become sensitized.

Ann
Old 24-12-2013, 14:43   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I'm sure you have already considered a Multihull? Would be perfect for the Caribbean.
Old 24-12-2013, 15:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why not sailing lessons fro mrs then sail what she wants to sail....mebbe she will surprise ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:06   #7

You should to look for the beamiest boat with conservative SA/D ratio or highest ballast. The wide beam will give you good initial stability and conservative sail management can keep it that way. An older style narrow boat, even those with 50% ballast ratios will heel quickly, get in the groove and stay there... good sailors... but exactly what you dont want!
Many of the more modern boats you mention will meet that description... so look at the sail area and draft/ballast details.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:20   #8

Just avoid sailing to windward.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:30   #9

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Some of the most experienced sailors and authors have notated that they sailed under bare poles more often the caribbean than any place else on earth. In a monohull sailing in the caribbean you will heel ALOT!
So your wife will need to get use to that idea or you will need to get a catamaran.
Old 24-12-2013, 16:41   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

It sounds like your wife has had little experience on the water. I would suggest joining a sailing club with small daysailors. That way a larger mono will fell really safe. Please remember a mono doesn't just heel. Going downwind i lumpy seas could see the vessel rolling 30 degrees to 30 degrees. Trust me...you want to avoid a disaster with a spouse after dropping a load of cash on a dream.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:47   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorrea2002 View Post
I'm looking for a monohull (32-40)to sail in the Caribbean with my wife. Like most women she doesn't feel very comfortable sailing on a boat difficult angle.

So, I'm looking for advise, between Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, Morgan, etc; which is the boat with smallest angle of heel at the similar conditions??

Thanks in advance
My 1st mate had the same problem. Their is only one solution.

Catamaran

She is happy as a clam now along with our two daughters.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 17:05   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm with Zeehag. It will best if she wants to sail!
Old 24-12-2013, 17:32   #13

Quote:
...doesn't feel very comfortable sailing on a boat difficult angle.

ZERO.

There IS no difference. Most monohulls do the same thing, 'cuz they're all designed to address the same conditions.

"Theoretics" will attempt to fine-tune the differencs, but other than wider beams vs. narrow ones, full keel vs. fin/spade.

But, basically, here on Xmas Eve, gobbledash.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 17:54   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Hello !

Of course cats heel much less than any mono (any boat heels - cats are no exception), but between the monos You also will find relative differences.
If You are looking for the mono heeling the least, the answer is probably only one (taking to consideration only production boats).
And the answer is Beneteau Sense range of yachts, just because they were designed with minimal heeling on mind. I can call tchem lady's yachts. The were targeted to the women so minimal heel, being homely (in modern city appartement way), and cockpit with all functions of the villa terrace were all put into designers brief. They are not my piece of cake, but they success on the market is really impressive, so they inevitably found their niche.
The problem is the smallest in the range is 43 ft boat.
Nevertheless worth to see at:

Sense 43 / Sense / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU

If I remember properly the brief demanded the angle of heel of ten degrees less, than for Beneteau Oceanis of the same size.

Cheers
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 18:25   #15

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

Before you buy, take a trip down to the Caribean and go to a sailing school with your wife on a skippered boat. 1 she will trust the skipper as it is his profession, 2 you both will learn more than you ever thought, 3 she will enjoy the warm blue waters, 4 you won't be out big bucks due to you buying a boat that she is scared of, 5 after the class, charter a boat for a week or two with a skipper and let her take care of the wheel while you trim the sails, an the skipper talks to her to gain her confidence in sailing. 6 let her pick out her boat 1st and you pick out yours and you two compare the two with all costs and amenities. Remember, to let her chose between the two and life will be good.
A point to ponder " Never, never raise your voice, piss her off, or anything but just give soft suggestions till she is a seasoned sailor and you will thank your God's and you will have a happy wife. Been there and done that. Try and rent the boat you want to buy for a test sail and see if you both like it's ride an motion on the water. Yea it will cost a few bucks for a day but it is worth it to know before hand if you both like it, It could be a sea trial for the purchase.
Good Luck and have a good one!
S/Y Enterprise
Bill Cartwright
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote