Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2024, 16:04   #1

So many boats, so little slips (CT moorings or slips and power boat dry docking)

Hi y'all,
Another day another move.

I am blown away by the cost of slips with consolidation. It's so high it makes me wonder if I should move my boat or sell it. Brutal. (I think I post something like this every few years

Anyway, I'm looking for slips OR moorings that might be more reasonably priced than safe harbor for 35 sloop. $10k+ for the season plus winter storage is just too steep. I thought it might be cool to find a mooring somewhere, I know this can be tough, but perhaps like Maine there are marinas with mooring fields? This way even if you don't have the time to go for a long sail you can still bob in a beautiful place on the water.
Or, a family run marina with better rates? Pretty flexible, would be commuting from the Hartford area so somewhere along the Connecticut River Essex or south or around Saybrook/Old Lyme, I dunno -flexible but closer is always better. Looking for next season as will need time to figure out sailing her up from the Chesapeake.

Another random thought, anyone know of marinas that offer trailered dry boat storage and access to a boat ramp? This is common some of the places I've lived but I don't see that offered. For it to be worth it vs keeping the power boat at a storage unit place would need to be a nice price or have nice amenities for the fam.

Google and active captain has only taken me so far, so I am very grateful for y'alls wisdom!

Thanks again!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:10   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: So many boats, so little slips (CT moorings or slips and power boat dry docking)

You might try looking in Mystic or Noank. CT river locations will entail schlepping from the marina out to the river mouth which can take a while and might involve drawbridges.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 18:16   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: So many boats, so little slips (CT moorings or slips and power boat dry docking)

Look into North Cove (town of Old Saybrook) or North Cove Y. C. at the foot of Ct. River for a mooring.
A good number of moorings were added 4 or 5 years ago when the cove was dredged.
Don't know if any still available...
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats, dock, Docking, mooring, power, power boat