Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 19:17   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
So many corbins

There are so many Corbin 39s on the market right now. I really like them in theory but I’m wondering if their fecunditity means that they aren’t any good and everyone wants to sell there’s? Are they pigs? Super slow?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: So many corbins

Most Corbins were owner finished, so quality varies tremendously. Can be very nice boats (cruisers).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
There are so many Corbin 39s on the market right now. I really like them in theory but I’m wondering if their fecunditity means that they aren’t any good and everyone wants to sell there’s? Are they pigs? Super slow?
Fecunditity????? Don’t go use’n those big words around here....

Any hoot. Looked at buying one a few years ago when I got my Tartan. What I did not like is variance in finish. i.e. how the generator was installed. Head room was a tad short for me at 6’2”. They have a good reputation and appeared to be well laid out for single-handing. When I did some probing of the owners group, there are many original owners who are retiring from sailing.

In the end I got my T-33 for size (I see myself single-handing her into my 70’s) and draft.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:20   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I am seriously considering a Corbin as the next boat. I thought I knew a lot about them until I started doing some research- not just the variations, but the history of particular specimens (quick: which one recently was "sold" but got un-sold?)

So while YW has something like 14 in USA, start narrowing down and the number of acceptable boats drops. Zero of those currently for sale have all three of my wants (of course, one exactly like what I want sold last year and at a great price. )

You can also take out the clunkers. There are a couple on YW right now. One was a crap build from the beginning, and one was is in the lower third and clearly is an abused liveaboard.

Keep in mind they are also approaching 40 years old, so figure anything that hasn't been replaced needs to be replaced. And of course, the old soggy deck thing.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I think there were only 3 factory finished boats. The one I was on had some of the finest finish work I have ever seen. Also seen several clunkers. There are still a couple around that have never been finished.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I think there were only 3 factory finished boats. The one I was on had some of the finest finish work I have ever seen. Also seen several clunkers. There are still a couple around that have never been finished.
IIRC there are (were?) 15 factory finished boats. Not only is the finishing work wonderful, the layout tends to be superior as well. Most of the home-finished boats, even those with beautiful wood, tend to be designed like a box with solid bulkheads, squared off everything, etc. Personally, I hate the look of oak which was popular for kitchens in the 80s and 90s which may explain why oak made it into many Corbins.

The other thing to look for is deck fittings, and there are many on a Corbin. I don't know what the factory did, but I am certain that many owners didn't do it right. Back in those days it was typical to just drill through core, slop silicone, and tighten. I suspect that every Corbin, factory or otherwise, needs to have every deck fitting pulled and rebedded. That is a load of work.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:11   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

They seem tubs but all owners I have asked said the design was very good and did the cruising job extremely well.

People I know had one, sold her, got a Tayana. They say the Corbin was the better boat.

I would pursue.

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:21   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Take a look at the Corbin, Rio Nimpkish. It's on sale, good boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Zero of those currently for sale have all three of my wants (of course, one exactly like what I want sold last year and at a great price. )
I'm curious to know what all three of your wants are? I am finding the same thing.

I'd really like to turn the pilothouse of one of these into a pilot cabin for my son. I think it could be done by building a wall from the side of the companionway staircases out to wrap around the helm station. You could then turn the remaining area into a mud room/wet locker of sorts.

Quote:
IIRC there are (were?) 15 factory finished boats. Not only is the finishing work wonderful, the layout tends to be superior as well. Most of the home-finished boats, even those with beautiful wood, tend to be designed like a box with solid bulkheads, squared off everything, etc. Personally, I hate the look of oak which was popular for kitchens in the 80s and 90s which may explain why oak made it into many Corbins.
I totally agree with this on almost all fronts. Oak has no place down below, I do believe they are called galleys on boats though. I just looked at a 42 foot steel Brewer which was infinitely smaller down below than my CAL 35MKII. because of bad boxy choices made by the owners/builders.

to your claim about how great the factory finished boats are and how bad the owner finishes are I submit to you these two boats.

Owner finished
1980 CORBIN PILOTHOUSE Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Factory finished
1986 CORBIN 39 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The factory boat is mid range, the owner one is....damn.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I do believe they are called galleys on boats though. .
I meant home kitchens. Oak was huge in the 80s for kitchen cabinetry, and not too expensive. That's why I think it got into the Corbins.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:49   #11

Quote:
I meant home kitchens. Oak was huge in the 80s for kitchen cabinetry, and not too expensive. That's why I think it got into the Corbins.
Ohhhhhh right. I see!
Old 06-10-2017, 16:09   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

We purchased one recently...
Moved from a beautiful Morris. Our new boat is factory finished 1984 - all foam cored deck and top sides. Zero issue with moisture on hull and deck.
Pilot house station fine for passages with instruments but not for close quarter maneuvering in harbors due to visibility close to bow.
Build / construction is incredibly strong. (I have 25 years of building and restoring boats. Sail handling is very impressive (close hauled apparent wind 10 knots speed thru water 5.5-6 knots. ).
Very comfortable boat - westerbeke w58 cruise at 6knts into 25 knots wind and waves. Max speed - 7.5 knts.
All lines led to cockpit for easy sail handling.
Find the new deck design 1982 on... solved issues with weather helm. Find a factory finished boat... no problem with deck hardware leaks as it was done properly.
Excellent boat if you find the right one....
Old 08-10-2017, 14:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
We purchased one recently...
Moved from a beautiful Morris. Our new boat is factory finished 1984 - all foam cored deck and top sides. Zero issue with moisture on hull and deck.
Pilot house station fine for passages with instruments but not for close quarter maneuvering in harbors due to visibility close to bow.
Build / construction is incredibly strong. (I have 25 years of building and restoring boats. Sail handling is very impressive (close hauled apparent wind 10 knots speed thru water 5.5-6 knots. ).
Very comfortable boat - westerbeke w58 cruise at 6knts into 25 knots wind and waves. Max speed - 7.5 knts.
All lines led to cockpit for easy sail handling.
Find the new deck design 1982 on... solved issues with weather helm. Find a factory finished boat... no problem with deck hardware leaks as it was done properly.
Excellent boat if you find the right one....
Many congrats!