Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 08:15   #1

So we bought a boat

We bought this boat, 1977 Bayliner Buccaneer 305, with no engine. Not ever having really a sailboat, we had motorsailed with the outboard a few times and even got the sails up breifly... and then we got overconfident. We took her out for a 30 mile trip and ran aground. After a three-day Fiasco we finally got her towed back to dock with a lot of damage. The auto bilge goes off every couple of hours because the rudder shaft is bent from banging off the sand. The starboard shroud and stay are broke including the spreader. And now it's time to try to get her ready to put in a slip and slowly fix all the things we need to to make her home for the next year or two. She seems to be a pretty solid boat . I had no idea how expensive this could be it sure is not the same as van life which is what we transition from to this. If anybody has any insight on this boat this style this model I'd appreciate any input... we're pretty handy people so we're going to be able to get this thing going. And by the way I really do love sailing!
Jaadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:12   #2

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: So we bought a boat

hate to be the one to say say it but here goes. bayliner has a long reputation or building very lightly, I'd even go so far as to say poorly made boats so no I wouldn't consider it a solid boat. if you're just going to live aboard in a marina or on a mooring or you'll just be sailing in protected waters thats one thing, but I would strongly caution you against taking it offshore. as for the damage. shrouds and stay are the same thing, if one or more are destroyed do it right the first time and take it to a rigging shop and have a new one fabricated. I don't know what else is on your to do list but a bent rudder stock is a big problem. the issue is that the stainless or bronze of the rudder stock isn't something that can just be bent back. the stock is also glassed into the rudder so you can't get the stock out without basically destroying the rudder. realistically you're looking at having to get a new rudder made. if the boat is making water it's likely the hull has been compromised at the rudder tube where the rudder stock extends up through the hull. you need to haul the boat out, drop the rudder and really get a good look at that whole area of the hull.

I think you need to look at what you paid for the boat, consider that you're easily looking at several grand to fix it and consider that these's are boats that have pretty limited resale value and decide if you want to push on with this boat or cut your losses.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jaadams.

See ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...05_4203-1.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post

I think you need to look at what you paid for the boat, consider that you're easily looking at several grand to fix it and consider that these's are boats that have pretty limited resale value and decide if you want to push on with this boat or cut your losses.
Well thats an issue since its our home..limited income...thanks for your input tho
Have to keep her afloat until we figure something out...guess its still a rich mans way of life
Jaadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:41   #5

You had a license when you lived in a car, thus some training. You can put that car on cinder blocks when you crash it. You crashed your boat.

‘Rich’ vs. ‘poor’ seamanship only. Enrich your knowledge, take baby steps. And take responsibility.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 16:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaadams View Post
Well thats an issue since its our home..limited income...thanks for your input tho
Have to keep her afloat until we figure something out...guess its still a rich mans way of life
definitely not a rich mans way of life. but sometimes with boats the mistakes can be expensive. how badly is she leaking? I'm willing to bet it'd coming from the rudder tube. crawl back in to where it comes through the hull and you should be able to t least do a temporary patch with some epoxy putty or silicone rescue tape.
Old 03-04-2019, 18:05   #7

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I will agree with the above comment .... Lack of seamanship not lack of money .
If you are on a budget find a temporary solution for the leak ,then start reading books about fiberglass repairs , boat repairs and definitely do you rigging repairs to a shop .
Start reading books about navigation and sailing as well , try to improve your sailing skills .
You might end up good sailors .

PS: sailing is not about money , mostly is about seamanship and elbow grease .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
I will agree with the above comment .... Lack of seamanship not lack of money .
If you are on a budget find a temporary solution for the leak ,then start reading books about fiberglass repairs , boat repairs and definitely do you rigging repairs to a shop .
Start reading books about navigation and sailing as well , try to improve your sailing skills .
You might end up good sailors .

PS: sailing is not about money , mostly is about seamanship and elbow grease .
this. you can do it the "rich man" way. buy a new expensive boat, hire someone else to do every bit of work on the boat and get a slip in some fancy marina. but there are thousands of cruisers out there who bought boats on the cheap that had good bones and took the time and put in the elbow grease and did it themselves, on the cheap.

Tags
boat