Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2022, 14:22   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Solar set up, Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Of course not the victron you quoted to is an MPPT controller not a PWM like what he is wanting to install.

Now I put my epever tracer 3210an the same specs just about 20% cheaper .
Than your victron 3210an
Your choice.

Btw my Victron is a 75/15 MPPT and this time I got the SmartSolar version with Bluetooth not the BlueSolar Version without.

Btw my Victron stayed in Absorption mode for like 8 hours after I first hooked it up to batteries that were at "Float?" on my PWM.

As I said, the Victron has true Bulk, Absorption, and Float Phases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	262047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213 (2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	262048  

Name:	Ab.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	262052  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 15:03   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Your choice.

Btw my Victron is a 75/15 MPPT and this time I got the SmartSolar version with Bluetooth not the BlueSolar Version without.

Btw my Victron stayed in Absorption mode for like 8 hours after I first hooked it up to batteries that were at "Float?" on my PWM.

As I said, the Victron has true Bulk, Absorption, and Float Phases.
I can set my bulk charge to start and stop at specific voltage points but for
I can set my absorption from 0 to 4 hours in 1 minute intervals but on my boat I don't use absorption ( lfp ) .
But for wtubbs the op the lil PWM and the 50 watt will be just fine as he stated its on a mooring and only used on weekends and mostly day sailed . if you wish to discuss controller specifics more with me perhaps we can move our discussion over to my refit page
Old 01-08-2022, 16:50   #33

Quote:
I can set my absorption from 0 to 4 hours in 1 minute intervals but on my boat I don't use absorption ( lfp ) .
But for wtubbs the op the lil PWM and the 50 watt will be just fine as he stated its on a mooring and only used on weekends and mostly day sailed . if you wish to discuss controller specifics more with me perhaps we can move our discussion over to my refit page
No I'm good.

After 6-8 different controllers over the years looks like the Victron Bluetooth Smart Solar Controller is far above the rest.....at least the rest of those I have had anyway including a couple WindyNation Controllers.
Old 06-08-2022, 15:07   #34

Boat: Catalina 22

Wow, so much great information and details! Thank you for taking the time. Now I am just waiting on the delivery of my delayed solar panel to get here. I got the boat in the water yesterday and it is happily bobbing on my mooring ball :-)
wtubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 21:21   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cool sounds like it's all coming together well now go have some fun with the boat
Old 07-08-2022, 03:18   #36

Quote:

The good thing about the Victron Controller is that it stays in Absorption Stage until the Batteries are totally charged by sensing the current.

The cheaper /lower priced PWM Controllers don't do that so your batteries may never be getting fully charged which is why mine stayed in the Absorption Stage for 7 hours after I first installed the Victron Controller.

According to the PWM's that it replaced the batteries were already charged and in Float but as observed the batteries were not fully charged

I had a controller/regulator that charged to 14.4 volts that I could get to charge the batteries completely by checking the voltage on the panel side.

When it got to near 21 volts or the panels VOC I knew the batteries were charged and I could disconnect the charger from the batteries. It had no Float Stage

The Victron does this automatically and you can see the minimal current and Voltage near VOC on your phone or laptop without using your meter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	262382   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	262383  

Name:	AB3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	262384  
Old 07-08-2022, 05:02   #37
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

For years I have used one of these fiberglass backed panels flat on the deck. The long skinny ones fit on the foredeck beside my hatch. As long as they are flat you can walk on them (they are delicate if not flat on deck).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHW5LMW...6AASNVZA?psc=1
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:04   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

You have to be careful with absorption voltage cycles. Few systems actually measure tail current and hence can stay in the absorption cycle far too long.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The good thing about the Victron Controller is that it stays in Absorption Stage until the Batteries are totally charged by sensing the current.

The cheaper /lower priced PWM Controllers don't do that so your batteries may never be getting fully charged which is why mine stayed in the Absorption Stage for 7 hours after I first installed the Victron Controller.

According to the PWM's that it replaced the batteries were already charged and in Float but as observed the batteries were not fully charged

I had a controller/regulator that charged to 14.4 volts that I could get to charge the batteries completely by checking the voltage on the panel side.

When it got to near 21 volts or the panels VOC I knew the batteries were charged and I could disconnect the charger from the batteries. It had no Float Stage

The Victron does this automatically and you can see the minimal current and Voltage near VOC on your phone or laptop without using your meter.
My controller can set all that as well as time to hold in Absorption I have Absorption turned off . LFP doesn't require nor like Absorption phases .

My battery monitor is mounted next to my controller and in plain view.
This was temporary setup but gauge will be mounted where it's shown . ( when I find the time that is )
The reading is 2.486 amps in at about. 7am solar time late March. Panels flat not adjusted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220807-071230_Photos.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	262390  
Old 07-08-2022, 08:20   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You have to be careful with absorption voltage cycles. Few systems actually measure tail current and hence can stay in the absorption cycle far too long.
Which is why Victron is one of the best,

It measures the tail current.

P/O section 3.9 of the Victron Manual:

Absorption

During the absorption stage the solar charger has switched to constant voltage mode.

The current flowing to the battery will gradually decrease. Once the current has dropped below 1A (tail current), the absorption stage stops and the float stage will
commence.

When only shallow discharges occur the absorption time is kept short. This to prevent overcharging of the battery. But if the battery was deeply discharged, the absorption time is automatically increased, to make sure that the battery is fully recharged.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload..._manual-en.pdf
Old 07-08-2022, 08:30   #41

Quote:
My controller can set all that as well as time to hold in Absorption I have Absorption turned off . LFP doesn't require nor like Absorption phases .

My battery monitor is mounted next to my controller and in plain view.
This was temporary setup but gauge will be mounted where it's shown . ( when I find the time that is )
The reading is 2.486 amps in at about. 7am solar time late March. Panels flat not adjusted.
The PO mounted the Battery Monitor on my boat. Most likely in the late 80's.

It's right above the laptop which I can see the Victron Data on or my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1051 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	262410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1053 (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	262411  

Name:	46v.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	262412  
Old 07-08-2022, 09:18   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Solar set up, Catalina 22

Quote:
Which is why Victron is one of the best,

It measures the tail current.

P/O section 3.9 of the Victron Manual:

Absorption

During the absorption stage the solar charger has switched to constant voltage mode.

The current flowing to the battery will gradually decrease. Once the current has dropped below 1A (tail current), the absorption stage stops and the float stage will
commence.

When only shallow discharges occur the absorption time is kept short. This to prevent overcharging of the battery. But if the battery was deeply discharged, the absorption time is automatically increased, to make sure that the battery is fully recharged.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload..._manual-en.pdf

As ever marketing people are economical with the truth

A Victron mppt controller cannot on its own measure tail current. What’s happening the their is the default setting is to “ assume” that when the charging current is 1A or less absorption mode is over

But without an additional battery shunt. The mppt controller HAS NO actual idea what the tail current is. If you have active loads drawing over 1A , then the mppt controller remains in absorption mode even though in fact the battery is fully charged. This is not good.

With Victron you can address this by adding a Bluetooth capable BMV712 or smart shunt this allows the bluettooth capable mppt controller to compute actual tail current and correctly terminate absorption mode.

Where you do not have actual tail current measurements , it’s worth establishing typical tail currents and setting the Victron mppt tail current setting to something more appropriate. In my case that was 3A
Old 07-08-2022, 09:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As ever marketing people are economical with the truth

A Victron mppt controller cannot on its own measure tail current. What’s happening the their is the default setting is to “ assume” that when the charging current is 1A or less absorption mode is over

But without an additional battery shunt. The mppt controller HAS NO actual idea what the tail current is. If you have active loads drawing over 1A , then the mppt controller remains in absorption mode even though in fact the battery is fully charged. This is not good.

With Victron you can address this by adding a Bluetooth capable BMV712 or smart shunt this allows the bluettooth capable mppt controller to compute actual tail current and correctly terminate absorption mode.

Where you do not have actual tail current measurements , it’s worth establishing typical tail currents and setting the Victron mppt tail current setting to something more appropriate. In my case that was 3A
The Victron is doing a fine job, I won't be adding anything else for Battery Monitoring.

My Battery "Bank" is $330 worth. Two 6 volt 220 ah Golf Cart Batteries. These are providing more power than I have ever had on the boat and it's great.

Also, I have never seen my Victron in Absorption Stage once the loads are turned on.

It goes to Bulk very soon after say within a minute or 2.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:22   #44

Boat: Catalina 22

Now I just need to find time to install it :-) I send in an update once I can and take some pictures. Without having been with the panel (it arrived late) at the boat, I am not sure how I want to install it as of yet. I am thinking of rigging up something temporary that I can take down before I go sailing. I also need to figure out a way to run the wires into the cabin. I've seen a few write ups here on the forum about both of the above items though already! - This is such a great resource!!!
wtubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:35   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtubbs View Post
Now I just need to find time to install it :-) I send in an update once I can and take some pictures. Without having been with the panel (it arrived late) at the boat, I am not sure how I want to install it as of yet. I am thinking of rigging up something temporary that I can take down before I go sailing. I also need to figure out a way to run the wires into the cabin. I've seen a few write ups here on the forum about both of the above items though already! - This is such a great resource!!!
Small bungee cords are you4 friend.

Tags
catalina, solar