Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 12:48   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Some Help Identifying this Boat PLZ!

What is your budget for purchase and then what is your budget for repairs, then budget for maintenance? If you can do a lot of this stuff yourself or find reliable local yard to do it it could work... But if you spend 40k on it will it be better than other 40k Formosa 46s?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 13:10   #32

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
What is your budget for purchase and then what is your budget for repairs, then budget for maintenance? If you can do a lot of this stuff yourself or find reliable local yard to do it it could work... But if you spend 40k on it will it be better than other 40k Formosa 46s?
Out the door budget (boat, outfitting) is 50K or less plus 1500/yr or so in maintenance. We have an active working harbor with many many skilled tradesman always looking for work. It's Mexico so it's always Caveat Emptor here. Having any sort of work done here requires constant vigilance. But we live here 1/2 the time and have many local connections. Pros and cons....

The Admiral (DW) says she thinks it's a good buy if we can get it under 10. I think it's at least 25K worth of work to get it up to cruising standard.

AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 13:56   #33

Boat: None

It's my humble opinion that your budget is better spent on a boat in better shape, though no doubt that will be a smaller boat. This one? Well I freely admit that I'm lazy and don't want to take on the enormity of that project, so to me it's worth the scrap value of the (working) parts. I believe you will need to replace the entire deck and much of the cabin trunk; take what's left of the deck off to reseal the hull-to-deck joint; replace all the through-hulls and hoses; and replace most of the drive train, just to get the boat dry inside. Arghh. And then the water tanks and fuel tanks probably need replacing (very common on these boats even when they are in much better shape than this one), which means taking out most of the interior, which probably also has a lot of hidden rot, so at least it will come out easily.

The Formosa 46 is a sound design and a great boat in general, but not this one.

Of course, everything I say might be wrong.

Call me Eeyore.

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 14:27   #34

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
It's my humble opinion that your budget is better spent on a boat in better shape, though no doubt that will be a smaller boat. This one? Well I freely admit that I'm lazy and don't want to take on the enormity of that project, so to me it's worth the scrap value of the (working) parts. I believe you will need to replace the entire deck and much of the cabin trunk; take what's left of the deck off to reseal the hull-to-deck joint; replace all the through-hulls and hoses; and replace most of the drive train, just to get the boat dry inside. Arghh. And then the water tanks and fuel tanks probably need replacing (very common on these boats even when they are in much better shape than this one), which means taking out most of the interior, which probably also has a lot of hidden rot, so at least it will come out easily.

The Formosa 46 is a sound design and a great boat in general, but not this one.

Of course, everything I say might be wrong.

Call me Eeyore.

-

I absolutely share your concerns--particularly about the hull to deck joint. That is a scary prospect to have to re-build it completely. It's not so much a matter of "can" it be done--it's a matter of confidence. The plan is to make the next boat livable and perhaps even re-sell. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable off shore in something that had been re-topped.

And yes, the tanks are rotted out too and need to go.
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:29   #35

I think that might be a good buy for 40k pesos.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote