Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 21:10   #16

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'
Re: Soon to be cruiser question

"Before you ask, I will go to sailing school to learn how to sail larger water than the Tom Bigbee. I'll also crew with others if I can find an opportunity. I've done a considerable amount of daysailing the ocean, but have never taken an overnight at sea."
One way to get some ocean crossing experience is to join Offshore Passage Opportunities, based in Hallesite Long Island and pay for your first trip with them. On the 'pay to sail' trips, the captain is both very experienced and a good teacher and the crew are usually pretty inexperienced so you will be in good company. That's what I did many years ago and subsequently compiled 10,000 plus miles of ocean passages crewing on deliveries. Loved it!!
In some ways larger boats can be easier to handle than smaller and allow for the possibility of having company on passages. You might try cruising with your current boat and see how that goes. You can always change your mind. At least you know it and it's systems rather well.
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 22:51   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Sounds like a great plan to me.
And to me, too.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:45   #18

Boat: Scout 30

There are a lot of sailboats 30' & under more suited for cruising. Some quality builder's you might want to check our are Island Packet, Nonesuch, Compac, Morris, Nimble & Pacific Seacraft.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:52   #19
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I don't mean to keep throwing curves, but you all have been really helpful, and I appreciate your advice. Here is another possibility:
1987 C&C 33 Sailboat

For those who don't want to click, it's a 1987 C&C 33 Mk II. I've looked the boat over and short of a survey, it looks to be in amazing condition. No soft spots anywhere that I can find.
I wonder about that balsa cored hull though.
It's considerably more expensive, but I want the next boat to handle whatever I and Triton throw at it.
what do you think?
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:06   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm prejudiced of course, but I'd at least look at the little IP's,
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:12   #21

The C&C is a nice looking boat. Apples and oranges compared to the 25. Maybe split the difference and look for a 27 or 30?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:23   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know, I re-read your first post, why not buy the other half of the Columbia cheap?
Take the money you have saved and fix it up like you want?

Nice boat that is paid for, a $1,000 a week in your pocket

That is sort of a lot of people's dream, you can have it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:27   #23

A64 has a good point, size wise you're getting pretty close to the Columbia with the 33. I'm not sure I'd fancy single handing a boat that size all over Hecks half acre, but the 33 is starting to get up there size wise too.

Either one of course is possible, but they get harder and harder as they get bigger, especially docking and mooring bouy pick ups.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:59   #24
RKO

Buying the other half of the Columbia 36 may be a possibility, but I'm not sure my partner would sell it. He actually has very little experience sailing and can't go out unless I'm with him. In spite of that he has been bitten by the dream. Bigtime. I tried to get him to move it closer to us (it's 250 miles away from where we both live,) but he won't go for it. It's on KY LAke in far western KY and he dreams of throwing off the lines and motoring down to the palm trees. Odd, since he hasn't leanred to sail and won't take a class.
When we got that boat I was excited about it. It's in good shape structurally and mechanically, terrible shape aesthetically. I can easily do all the work needed to get it shipshape, but again, 250 miles from my home. And my partner won't move it.
My plan so far was to offer to sell my share to him, which I think he would do, and buy myself the boat of my choosing.
I haven't discussed this with him, but perhaps I will.
If I did buy the 36, I would bring it up the Ohio and put it near me so I could go to work...
Old 07-10-2015, 15:59   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
I don't mean to keep throwing curves, but you all have been really helpful, and I appreciate your advice. Here is another possibility:
1987 C&C 33 Sailboat

For those who don't want to click, it's a 1987 C&C 33 Mk II. I've looked the boat over and short of a survey, it looks to be in amazing condition. No soft spots anywhere that I can find.
I wonder about that balsa cored hull though.
It's considerably more expensive, but I want the next boat to handle whatever I and Triton throw at it.
what do you think?
I'm not a fan of cored hulls either, but if the survey clears it it's probably ok. It 's the engine I'd scrutinize. Has it been rebuilt? How many hours on it? Maintained well?
Also, does this one have a centerboard?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:19   #26
RKO

I don't know anything about the motor. It has a centerboard.

Tags
cruise, cruiser