Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 01:38   #61

Boat: Southerly
Re: Southerly 480 - Build Thread?

Yikes that was quick!

Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 02:46   #62

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Yikes that was quick!

Must be scary to see your new, never sailed on, boat being loaded for transport to Düsseldorf! I mean, most people already get nervous when their boat is lifted out.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 02:48   #63

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Yikes that was quick!

Must be scary to see your new, never sailed on, boat being loaded for transport to Düsseldorf! I mean, most people already get nervous when their boat is lifted out.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 06:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
I admit I didn't go to the yard and I try not to think about it! Its difficult for a company with built to order boats, they rely on customers consent or there's no show!
Old 18-12-2018, 07:23   #65

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Absolutely beautiful! Such a tease with the shrink wrapped boat. It had to be painful to not see it out in the sunlight.

Do you happen to have an idea how long the settees are in the raised salon seating? Just interested in how much room you have.

Matt
Old 18-12-2018, 07:50   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Such a tease with the shrink wrapped boat. It had to be painful to not see it out in the sunlight.

Do you happen to have an idea how long the settees are in the raised salon seating? Just interested in how much room you have.

Matt
Hi - Thanks for your comments, yes I really can't wait to see her unveiled as yet there has always been loads of stuff in the way, and protection coverings etc.

I will get the saloon measurements from the design office in Discovery and post again later.
Old 19-12-2018, 08:51   #67

Quote:

Matt
Hi, the saloon seating measures 6ft 8inch length between the cushions. Width is approx 5ft, similar to the lower saloon version I believe.
Old 19-12-2018, 09:26   #68

Quote:
Hi, the saloon seating measures 6ft 8inch length between the cushions. Width is approx 5ft, similar to the lower saloon version I believe.
Sounds very comfortable.

After raising the salon seating on our boat, I said I'd never go back to sitting in a hull. But, with the large hull ports now installed in most boats, it's becoming harder to figure out what's the best solution.

Raised with smaller area, but almost a 360 view? -or- Lower and full hull width, but only a view through hull ports on each side?

On your length of boat you can still get a comfortable sized seating. But anything smaller, and it becomes pretty tight if trying to stay within the cabin house width and length.

Really, it's a problem I wish I had to worry about

Matt
Old 19-12-2018, 09:51   #69

Quote:
Sounds very comfortable.

After raising the salon seating on our boat, I said I'd never go back to sitting in a hull. But, with the large hull ports now installed in most boats, it's becoming harder to figure out what's the best solution.

Raised with smaller area, but almost a 360 view? -or- Lower and full hull width, but only a view through hull ports on each side?

On your length of boat you can still get a comfortable sized seating. But anything smaller, and it becomes pretty tight if trying to stay within the cabin house width and length.

Really, it's a problem I wish I had to worry about

Matt
Haha, well we ended up going bigger than planned for those reasons, we really like having a raised saloon and didn't get the same sense of feel from the lower saloon boats with hull ports. Best were the cats of course, but I wont get into that!
Old 19-12-2018, 10:04   #70

We planned on a trip to boot Düsseldorf for 2019, but my Schengen visa extension is for only Portugal.... no point getting deported over a boat show Maybe 2020s.

Have fun at the show.

Matt
Old 19-12-2018, 10:06   #71

Quote:
We planned on a trip to boot Düsseldorf for 2019, but my Schengen visa extension is for only Portugal.... no point getting deported over a boat show Maybe 2020s.

Have fun at the show.

Matt
Will do...
Old 02-01-2019, 08:11   #72

Well whilst waiting for the boat to be unveiled and accessible in Dusseldorf I thought it might be of interest to give some information and insight into the sails we will be using. Our spec is geared to our planned offshore/distance cruising agenda.

To choose I spent some time talking to folk from Discovery and our chosen sailmaker that has supplied me previously, and who has an enviable reputation.

Although I had a lot of questions about cloth, crosscut/radial, battens and thread/stitching and UV strip material we eventually settled on a specification that will suit most of our usage.

The in mast furling mainsail will be Vectron (was very tempted to try Nautosphere Voyager anyone have any experience of this?) for its proven stretch resistance, simple repair and reliability. We have specified partial battens which will give us a neutral roach, avoiding the greater consequences of me breaking a full-length batten when we are somewhere inconvenient. Weathermax UV over the padded clew area, and Tenara stitching.

The self tacking jib will also be Vectron crosscut with short battens, weathermax UV strip and Tenara stitching. There will be an additional clew/sheet point on the sail to allow for a more effective shape if it needs to be reefed.

The outer genoa has a lower aspect ratio and will thus benefit from being tri-radial cut, and since this is essentially a light wind sail, we have opted for DP PR394 cloth and the same UV/stitching as before.

At some point we may well do some long downwind passages, so we will add one extra sail to cover this need. This will be a genoa designed for our inner furler, so we can pole out both inner and outer headsails it will be close to the size of the outer genoa, so not self-tacking but will reduce the need to use the main.

When the sails are in production, I will be getting some photo’s of the process so will post those here as they arrive from the sailmaker.
Old 15-01-2019, 23:53   #73

For those less familiar with Discovery/Southerly an Italian magazine just published their review of the 54ft big sister to our 480. The review is of a fixed keel version therefore a Discovery 54. The swing keel version would be the Southerly 540.

https://www.boatandboats.com/magazin...sdnP9E_-8MJXIY
Old 19-01-2019, 15:06   #74

Finally I get to see her finished! here's a couple of quick photos of the Discovery stand at Dusseldorf, and for the deck.
I will take some shots of the interior over the next few days when its not too busy

Old 19-01-2019, 18:48   #75

Beautiful! I love the chrome bootstripe against the gray hull. With the large cabin windows and vertical hull deadlights, it sure is going to be a great view from inside.

Thanks for posting.

Matt

Tags
Discovery 48, Discovery Yachts, Lifting keel, Southerly, Southerly 480, Southerly yachts