Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 22:00   #106

Boat: Southerly
Re: Southerly 480 - Build Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi Adrien,

Firstly, she looks the dog's b.......

Regarding the track on your mast, it is an easy way of reducing tension on your sail. Opposite your blue halyard line is an identical fitting allowing a line to be tied to the winch below to release tension on the jamb cleat/lock and adding life to your wardrobe.

Good kit. Enjoy her in good health.
Thanks - We're pleased with how she looks - It will be the first boat Ive had with halyard tracks so it's good to hear about them. Thanks for commenting.
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 22:08   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Fabulous boat, looking forward to some more pictures. If I were ever to sell up and buy a serious boat it would be a toss-up whether I'd want your boat or Distant Shores 3.
Thank You - Glad you're enjoying the thread. DS3 has some nice kit, and is of course a very well planned boat given Paul and Sheryls experience. I'll be pinching a few of their ideas
Old 26-02-2019, 12:52   #108

Well the comisioning process is continuing and the next noticeable difference will be bending on the sails, so ahead of that I thought I would put up a few pictures taken while Sanders (of Lymington) were making them. We spent some time with Peter Sanders talking about what would work best for our cruising, and indulge my prefernces for longevity and had a good look round his loft. These pictures were taken by Chris, so thanks to Chris for taking the time to do it for me.

So the process starts with design work done in computer software of course, here they are working on the Genoa

This next shot is Chris nesting the panels, and adding some more design details

The data from the system is used to drive the cutting machine, which is huge. This has two cutting arches mounted on the table, one with a laser cutter, and the other with a blade, the cloth is held on the bed by vacuum. Here Barry is cutting the panels for the inmast mainsail

This results in a thin pile of panels which are taken to another work area so the panels can be stuck together by Stuart to create the sail shape we all know and love!

After which the sewing starts - Sanders has a huge array of diffrent sewing machines some of which are huge and used for diffrent jobs, however a little further along with the panels complete, here's the batten pockets going on

and some other finishing touches. Here the foreground shows the mainsail clew block, whilst the machine is stiching around the 2:1 leech line area

adding the batten loader pocket

There is a lot of nice details on the finished article, here is a cleat cover on the self tacker

All of the tack "loops" are aligned to match the rigs fittings - Here on the jib

and on the inmast main, you can also see the foot has some different cloth added (Hydranet I think) to discourage it going a pie crusty

And a couple of the ST clew boards open and closed

Finaly it looks like a sail, and heres the ST jib lookin good

So the first time I see tham in the flesh will be when they get to the boat - soon I hope!
Old 26-02-2019, 19:04   #109

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Well the comisioning process is continuing and the next noticeable difference will be bending on the sails, so ahead of that I thought I would put up a few pictures taken while Sanders (of Lymington) were making them. We spent some time with Peter Sanders talking about what would work best for our cruising, and indulge my prefernces for longevity and had a good look round his loft. These pictures were taken by Chris, so thanks to Chris for taking the time to do it for me.
Don't leave us hanging... what cloth did you decide on?

Matt
Old 26-02-2019, 23:27   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Don't leave us hanging... what cloth did you decide on?

Matt
The main and self tacking jib are Cross cut DP Vectron, whilst the outer lightwind genoa is radial cut in DP PR344.

I was very tempted to try Nautosphere Voyager, the spec of which looks great, maybe next time....

The rationale behind the decisions is written up here (a bit lengthy)
https://wordpress.com/block-editor/p...rly480.com/292
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13   #111

Haven't posted much for a few days because it is difficult to find anything "new" to photograph at the moment, but there has been a lot going on with the commissioning process, now the running rigging is largely complete, the ground tackle installed, Raymarine kit now up and running and the Echomax RTE installed. Thrusters, windlass, water/bilge pumps and the electrical systems all tested so good progress has been made. Yesterday the boat left the marina for engine testing/PDI which apparently went well, and today a brief excursion for the compasses to be swung, the AIS track made a nice pattern on Marine Traffic which I would have posted, but I suspect there might be some restriction/copy-write issues.....

In the next couple of days the sails will go on. I will definitely try to be there for that to take a few pictures and talk to Peter Sanders who built the sails and Discovery Yachts commissioning manger Tony Bertram about how they've set up some of the rigging. So will post some of those shortly.

Tomorrow I will start looking through the boat and fiddling around to start my own snag list, and possibly start configuring the nav systems, and the Mastervolt battery monitor the way I like them. A little out of sequence really since the handover hasn't happened yet but still!
Old 19-03-2019, 14:01   #112

Finally a break in the winds and the sails are up - I will post a few more pics of the detail in a few days time but for now heres one showing the the guys from Sanders and Discovery hard at it.

Old 21-03-2019, 14:55   #113

Quote:
Finally a break in the winds and the sails are up - I will post a few more pics of the detail in a few days time but for now heres one showing the the guys from Sanders and Discovery hard at it.

Well I knew Peter Sanders and Tony knew each other but I didn't know they went back this far....

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/pos...86128134741130
Old 22-03-2019, 01:34   #114

First time sailing the boat! Tony Bertram the Discovery commissioning manager invited me aboard to trial sail the new sails, he explained this event was for the commissioning team to test the running rigging and furling gear rather than one focused on the client as part of handover. It was a short few hours but not to be missed as a chance for me to have a look at other stuff like the alternator(s) output engine temps and the instruments.

The sails set well in the light winds (7 knots max) and the controls were all good, steering felt nice, keel control worked as expected, and the thrusters are very good which is just as well given the marina berth is very tight!

Bit of a grey day in the Solent but perfect for a first trial of the sails

The commissioning process is very thorough I must say which gives a lot of confidence that when handover takes place she will already be well sorted.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:55   #115

Well the boat is finally ready for handover which will start on Friday with a review of the mechanical and electrical systems. I had hoped to post some details of the commissioning process but it proved difficult for me not to be in the way whilst the work was carried out, hence the lack of posts recently.

I did find a time slot to get on board and fiddle with the Raymarine systems and enter the MMSI number so I am pleased to say she's looking even better than she did at Düsseldorf, she now has her rig of course and some items that were deliberately not fitted before the show like the mainsheet arch, plus a couple of minor modifications to the aft cabin and the fwd heads which will appear also on future boats.

I'll write up some of the handover process where there is an opportunity to post interesting information.

So today Constance moved from Hythe round to Lymington to be part of the Discovery Spring Showcase event this weekend, so if anyone visits, please say some nice things!

Pleased to say the AIS was working

Old 13-04-2019, 06:55   #116

Well the handover is now largely complete and as you would expect the boat is now looking and working as it should. We have just to complete the final sea trial. This period has taken a little longer than I'd hoped but in fairness there has been more to do on this boat compared to others as a result of it going to Dusseldorf and whilst progress is slower once the boat leaves the factory, my own commitments haven’t helped. Hopefully next week we will be moving our kit on board, and will take her for a sea trial when the opportunity arises during the week.

We also have some final decisions to make about where to install a couple of extra mirrors (Very important I’m told by Julie) and other fittings like our Epirb and brackets for emergency torch etc, and this time I’m determined to organise the lazarette properly to avoid everything ending up in a tangled heap at the bottom. Discovery would have done a lot of this for us, but until I start putting stuff on board I’m not sure what will go where…..

We get asked by friends what sort of issues we have had and how big is the snag list. Well inevitably there were issues as the boat left the factory, had 3000 visitors on board, followed by the first runs of the various systems, during my visits I heard about some of these, however by the handover these were already dealt with so my “handover” snag list was small. I think most owners would expect this, but will be aware that once in use other things will become apparent. For example on our last boat the water pump worked perfectly until we did a 15min flush on the watermaker during which the breaker tripped every two minutes, presumably because the pump was working harder than when having a shower or filling the kettle.

What we found during handover was:
  • A couple of marks in the woodwork
  • Some coloured water in the bilge and a screw. I know we will get more debris over time it will be lurking in dark spaces waiting to appear later.
  • TV in the fore-cabin that had been working had stopped working
  • Some untidy/unfinished caulking in an awkward spot around the arch, perhaps because mine was “retro fitted” but still
  • Three access hatches to the strainers, fuel changeover valves and to the engine space were tight/awkward to remove. (On the last boat we had a couple that were fine in summer, but a devil in the winter when they would swell a little)!

That’s it for now, but the real test will come when we go for a decent shake down in a few weeks time. I will add to this thread as anything new crops up. I may also be able to post a walk-through video that one of the guys is doing and asked me to narrate. Given neither of us have done one before it may not be great but hey......

Now here’s a surprising development
When I started this thread and www.southerly480.com I did so as an independent yotty/customer sharing our experience in the hope some would find it interesting or helpful and being retired I had the time. Recently I was asked to Join Discovery Yachts Group board as an NED, with a brief to represent “the clients view”. I’ve accepted. So I intend to continue warts and all with the thread, but thought it important to mention the change.
Old 21-04-2019, 02:31   #117

Sitting here at home looking at the weather and contemplating the fact that planning sometimes leaves me in the wrong place at the right time, and then out of the blue somebody sends me a lovely picture of the boat taken this morning in Lymington. I hope you are all out there having a great Easter break! Meanwhile I have to empty the dishwasher.........

Old 29-04-2019, 06:53   #118

Well since its been a while since I posted an interesting photo of our boat here's one of someone else's hull just emerging from the mould. Its a good time to see the hull moulding before any of the furniture goes in.

This is pretty much the same as my Southerly 480, but with some differences that show she is destined to be a different class than Southerly. In fact this is the first Revelation 480, and differs insofar as she will have a fixed keel, lowered saloon, saildrive and all electric galley.

Meanwhile we are now loading our gear on to Constance, and will hopefully have a walkthrough video to post here soon, just to round off the build part of the thread. Will still carry on through the early part of our ownership, just to add any info about additions and problems etc...
Old 30-04-2019, 08:03   #119

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Well since its been a while since I posted an interesting photo of our boat here's one of someone else's hull just emerging from the mould. Its a good time to see the hull moulding before any of the furniture goes in.

This is pretty much the same as my Southerly 480, but with some differences that show she is destined to be a different class than Southerly. In fact this is the first Revelation 480, and differs insofar as she will have a fixed keel, lowered saloon, saildrive and all electric galley.

Meanwhile we are now loading our gear on to Constance, and will hopefully have a walkthrough video to post here soon, just to round off the build part of the thread. Will still carry on through the early part of our ownership, just to add any info about additions and problems etc...
Seeming the shine on a new hull gives me googly eyes!!

Have fun loading up Constance. I look forward to seeing the walkthrough and hearing about your additions/problems moving forward. I've always wondered what sort of issues one has to deal with when they take on a brand new boat
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 13:01   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Seeming the shine on a new hull gives me googly eyes!!

Have fun loading up Constance. I look forward to seeing the walkthrough and hearing about your additions/problems moving forward. I've always wondered what sort of issues one has to deal with when they take on a brand new boat
It's amazing how much stuff we have from the last boat, that I'm not sure we need to load on the new one, but for sure we will fill her over time anyhow!

Tags
Discovery 48, Discovery Yachts, Lifting keel, Southerly, Southerly 480, Southerly yachts