Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 09:32   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Spencer yachts made in BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosslandingcrea View Post
There used to be a Spencer sailboat group. Is there one now? I have a Spencer 51 cutter hull number 2. I think the plug they made hull #1. Later I think they converted the plug into a sailboat named Fern? I wish I knew more history on my boat Coho, she just turned 50 and I would like to have a party for her and have a story to tell about her. (I have owned her for the last 15 years and live aboard her.
Welcome aboard MossLandingcrea! (Is that moss landing creature?) What a classic you have there! And hull #2! The name Coho on that boat sounds familiar... have you always kept her in Moss Landing? Was she ever in Santa Barbara?
There is a Plastic Classic social group and thread here that may have someone who knows more:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...+classics.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ic-160329.html
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 00:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosslandingcrea View Post
There used to be a Spencer sailboat group. Is there one now? I have a Spencer 51 cutter hull number 2. I think the plug they made hull #1. Later I think they converted the plug into a sailboat named Fern? I wish I knew more history on my boat Coho, she just turned 50 and I would like to have a party for her and have a story to tell about her. (I have owned her for the last 15 years and live aboard her.
Up untill about 3 years ago i owned the la ruina s42 hull #6 there are a few of us out here still .
I have the old webpage on a thumb drive sonewhere i will see what i can come up with pm me
Old 29-09-2020, 08:15   #18

Boat: Spencer 31, Ericson 27

There is a Face Book group.
Old 25-01-2021, 16:51   #19

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I am a little late to the party here, yes there is a FB Group, I am the admin.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpencerYachtOwnersGroup
Old 06-04-2022, 20:39   #20

We were around when Coho was in its prime, a very impressive boat & if memory serves me right it was owned by the Brandlmayr's who in turn were Spencer Boats.
In 1979 we purchased hull #1 of the S34 Spearhead it was the plug for subsequent S34's & hull #2 was CohoII.
We lived aboard in False Creek Vancouver along with a 1330 (Wind Maden I think) & a centre cockpit S51 but can't remember the name of the S51.
If you were to contact Grant Brandlmayer at Spencer Boats Vancouver I am sure you would be able to get a good portion of the history of your boat.
There is a Northsails loft news article on Coho the S34 (they dropped the II part of the name).
LenF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 21:01   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenF52 View Post
We were around when Coho was in its prime, a very impressive boat & if memory serves me right it was owned by the Brandlmayr's who in turn were Spencer Boats.
In 1979 we purchased hull #1 of the S34 Spearhead it was the plug for subsequent S34's & hull #2 was CohoII.
We lived aboard in False Creek Vancouver along with a 1330 (Wind Maden I think) & a centre cockpit S51 but can't remember the name of the S51.
If you were to contact Grant Brandlmayer at Spencer Boats Vancouver I am sure you would be able to get a good portion of the history of your boat.
There is a Northsails loft news article on Coho the S34 (they dropped the II part of the name).
Brandlmayr was the Naval architect that designed the s42 for Spencer. He also designed for mapleleaf among others
Old 07-04-2022, 00:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Brandlmayr was the Naval architect that designed the s42 for Spencer. He also designed for mapleleaf among others
You are correct but he was also one of the owners of the business, following is a cut & paste quote from Grant Brandlmayr as in the North Sails Loft news article available online & about Coho the S34 (originally named Coho II)

"Spencer Boats Ltd. was a family boat building company that was formed in 1954 by my parents, an uncle of mine and a good friend of my parents".

In our time of owning an S34 (1979-1983) I had work done by the Spencer yard & dealt with Grant in that process. It is also my understanding that the yard produced Mapleleaf boats as well & a lot of power boats. We were liveaboards & were kept well updated on Spencer activities as we were always around other liveaboard & racing sailors.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:21   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenF52 View Post
You are correct but he was also one of the owners of the business, following is a cut & paste quote from Grant Brandlmayr as in the North Sails Loft news article available online & about Coho the S34 (originally named Coho II)

"Spencer Boats Ltd. was a family boat building company that was formed in 1954 by my parents, an uncle of mine and a good friend of my parents".

In our time of owning an S34 (1979-1983) I had work done by the Spencer yard & dealt with Grant in that process. It is also my understanding that the yard produced Mapleleaf boats as well & a lot of power boats. We were liveaboards & were kept well updated on Spencer activities as we were always around other liveaboard & racing sailors.
Actually mapleleaf were made by Cooper
Out of Port Coquitlam, B.C.

Spencer was the brain child of Phil Hantke and John brandlmeyer.
Out of Vancouver B.C.
Full disclosure I am a retired shipwright.
Old 08-04-2022, 14:27   #24

Well then you would know.

Tags
Canada, enc, yacht