Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 12:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Spirit 28

This summer I purchased a Spirit 28. They are not a very common boat but I've been doing lots of scouring on the internet and have found a variety of good resources. Owners manuals, a link to an old enthusiasts page, etc.

I'm trying to find some other owners. My boat has undergone a variety of changes over the years that I'm not necessarily happy with. I'd like to compare notes with current owners to see if they have more original set ups to compare to.

Thanks very much.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:55   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Spirit 28

Gosh, tmacmi, you need to make friends with a boatwright. If you pay him for an hour or two of his time, to help you with your projects, it can be the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

We have such a friend, and it's fascinating how he works, he divides projects into subsections and completes one, then has a short break, completes next one, lunch,and so forth, 8 hr. work days. He works fast, too. However, you'll be slower, 'cause you're learning about the tools and materials, as well as how to do the job. Also, it takes time and work to train the eye/brain interface to get things right. Remember "measure twice; cut once".

I hope you find some more Spirit 28s out there to befriend.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 25-10-2019, 19:42   #3

Boat: Spirit 28

I have one. Very similar in specs and interior layout (though reversed) to an Islander 28, which is a pretty good boat to copy.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 07:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Gosh, tmacmi, you need to make friends with a boatwright. If you pay him for an hour or two of his time, to help you with your projects, it can be the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

Ann
Ann,

That's a great idea! My winter/spring repair/replace list is long and I'll need all the help I can get.

Must do while boat is out of water:
  • Repair two seacocks
  • Repack stuffing box
  • Repipe cockpit drains that are not draining
  • Repair crack on deck
Must quickly do for boat living:
  • Replace cracked blackwater tank and associated piping
  • Since I'll have that tank out I'll likely take the opportunity to replace potable water lines
Nice to do:
  • Sheet winch repair/maintenance
  • Map out electrical modifications (there are some funky mods in there I want to understand for safety)
  • Refinish quarterberth liners
  • Rebuild soft anchor locker hatch (cut out plywood from underneath and replace)

Here we go!
Old 26-10-2019, 07:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I have one. Very similar in specs and interior layout (though reversed) to an Islander 28, which is a pretty good boat to copy.
That's awesome! I hope you are enjoying yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Would you mind if I posted some photo's and questions to you about your configuration from time to time?

From what I can tell various PO's have modified:
  • How the main sheet runs
  • How the topping lift runs
  • The fold down that allows the portside settee become a bed
I'm sure I'll have others.
Old 27-10-2019, 08:06   #6

Boat: Spirit 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
That's awesome! I hope you are enjoying yours as much as we enjoy ours.

Would you mind if I posted some photo's and questions to you about your configuration from time to time?

From what I can tell various PO's have modified:
  • How the main sheet runs
  • How the topping lift runs
  • The fold down that allows the portside settee become a bed
I'm sure I'll have others.

Don’t mind at all. In case you’re not aware, it was a featured boat in Good Old Boat a year or two ago.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 10:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Don’t mind at all. In case you’re not aware, it was a featured boat in Good Old Boat a year or two ago.
Thank you very much! I promise I won't take too much of your time.

I didn't know about the Good Old Boat article. I just ordered a back copy for my files.

Thanks

Tmac.
Old 28-01-2020, 02:24   #8

Boat: van Der Stadt Spirit 28

Hi @Tmacmi,

I am also a very recent owner of a Spirit 28. I have also been trawling the internet in search of info and manuals. The link to the owners manual you referring to doesn't work on my pc (think its firewall related) but i think its the same one i stumbled on. It also has a manual of the 15hp engine.

My boat needs some TLC but nothing that elbow grease cannot fix. The interior is something i am going to redo. Currently, whats left inside is more of a day tripper configuration than a cruising boat. My future plan is cruising so... lots of work here.

What i have been struggling to find are drawings with dimensions. U haven't perhaps stumbled on some? It would help greatly in planning the inside layout.

Regards,
raptorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 07:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfx View Post
Hi @Tmacmi,

I am also a very recent owner of a Spirit 28. I have also been trawling the internet in search of info and manuals. The link to the owners manual you referring to doesn't work on my pc (think its firewall related) but i think its the same one i stumbled on. It also has a manual of the 15hp engine.

My boat needs some TLC but nothing that elbow grease cannot fix. The interior is something i am going to redo. Currently, whats left inside is more of a day tripper configuration than a cruising boat. My future plan is cruising so... lots of work here.

What i have been struggling to find are drawings with dimensions. U haven't perhaps stumbled on some? It would help greatly in planning the inside layout.

Regards,
Hey! Its good to meet you. We actually have two different but similar boats. My Spirit is a Fitch Design, I think yours is the Van De Stadt.

See this comparison: https://sailboatdata.com/compare/res...mpaign=compare

As it regards interior dimensions I haven't found any (it doesn't look like they would apply anyway)

If I were trying to do measurements I think I would buy a laser measure and a tripod. I'd set it up at various point on the center line as best I could and then run again at various heights.

If its anything like mine, don't assume the settee structures come out straight away. I had to take mine apart and assumed I could remove it all the way to the hull. I was mistaken. When the settee top went under the back of the settee it was fiber glassed to the hull and some of the bulk heads.

Also look under where the compression post carries the mast weight down to the floor under the sole. There can be rot in the bulk head where if it got crushed. Its perfectly fixable, just a pain.

I hope your elbow grease pays off!
Old 29-01-2020, 00:19   #10

Boat: van Der Stadt Spirit 28

Thank you for the reply @Tmacmi and the awesome site reference... I didn't know about it:-)

As for the advise... that is very much appreciated. In your experience, how many bulkheads are there? In mine there are 2 it would seem that divide the salon, toilet and birth. Am I correct?

Do you have any photos of your interior? I would love to see them. Maybe I can steal a couple of ideas:-)
raptorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfx View Post
Do you have any photos of your interior? I would love to see them. Maybe I can steal a couple of ideas:-)
I'll take more photos when get out to the boat to take them. Yes, on the port side of the boat there are is the bulkhead between head and berth, and then between salon and head.

On starboard there is a "half bulkhead" that creates a closet and a table surface.

There are stringers underneath the settee on both sides, see below between the tanks on the port side. There are also stringers where the settee transitions to the quarterberth.

The PO made fold out tops on both settee tops under the cushions and a trifold matress. These folded out to make a queenish size bed. He was big fella and didn't like the V berth. Even though it was folding, the mattress takes up a huge amount of space. We won't be re-installing this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	207825  
Old 03-02-2020, 10:42   #12

Here are some more interior shots. Please excuse the mess. I'm doing quite a few projects at the moment. I'll post them as stand alone.

Saloon

Sorry about the landscape. The original is in portrait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2483.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	208101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	208102  

Old 03-02-2020, 10:45   #13