Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2023, 15:10   #1

Boat: Hunter 356
St Lawrence River Navigation & Marinas

Wondering if anyone has navigated down the St. Lawrence River from the East end of Lake Ontario to the Gulf of St Lawrence, finishing or passing Sydney in Nova Scotia. I am planning to make this trip on a 36' Hunter (Model 356) sailboat with a 5'.6'' draft in the summer of 2025. It might actually be two seasons finishing up in summer of 2026. There are two of us aboard. We're not in a hurry and plan to languish in fun places. I anticipate occasionally anchoring, but would prefer marina stops. Are there enough marina's, towns or places to stop every 25 miles +-? USA or Canada ports are acceptable. I am just beginning to gather books, charts, Lock info, and stuff I will need to make the trip. Have not run into anyone that has made the whole trip. If you have have made the trip, would like to hear from you. If you have done it on a sailboat, would love to know if you were able to sail sections.
Zzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 16:31   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: St Lawrence River Navigation & Marinas

My spouse and I sailed from Lake Ontario to Newfoundland back in 2017. It was an amazing trip, but certainly challenging at times. In fact, I think of the journey in terms of three distinct sections, each with its own special challenges.

The first section is basically a down-river run. The year we did it, the water levels were high and the current from Lake Ontario was running an additional knot or so. We consistently saw 2-3 knots of current all the way down to Montreal. This section also has all the locks and bridges to manage and navigate.

The next challege section was when the tidal currents really take hold, beginning south of Trois Rivier, but really getting incredibly strong through the Quebec City to Saguenay stretch. Here you learn to travel with the tides. Get going just as the flood tide was ending, and ride the wave down until it starts to turn.

From the Saguenay on the river becomes monstrously wide, until eventually you lose sight of the opposite shore. This carries on into the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which really is the open ocean.

Unlike your plans, we anchored almost the entire way. We only went into two marinas for resupplies, so I can't tell you much about that. One caution is that some marinas dry out, or nearly so, in that high tidal stretch from QC down. So you really need to time your entries and exits well.

You mention American marinas. You'll quickly say goodbye the USA since the vast majority of the river is soley in Canadian waters.

There are a couple of guides which cover all or parts of the journey, but the best guide bar-none is the Nautiguide published by the marina association. Unfortunately for us Anglos, it's only published in French. But it's presented so well, it's not hard to learn enough to easily use it.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I can even share my list of anchorages, but that might not help you.
Old 31-10-2023, 17:18   #3

Boat: Hunter 356

Thanks Mike. After I digest your narrative, and look up names, may have more Q's
Zzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 18:03   #4

Boat: Endeavour 37

It’s a great trip. I left Lake StClair on July 1, 2022 and arrived at Port Hawkesbury, Cape Breton on Sept 4 th. Stopping to see the sights along the way. I found Active Captain very helpful. Also at your first stop in Quebec be sure to pick up a free marina guide. As extra I have no language skills and had no problems. Motored too much but thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I went via Northumberland Straight and had to deal with lobster pots for two days.

I’m now based out of Cape Breton and made the hop to Newfoundland this summer. Amazing cruising. The Bra D’Or Lake offers years of exploring in semi sheltered waters.

Don’t overthink it, just go!
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 19:42   #5

Hey Mike!
Please share your list of anchorages.
swisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Navigating the St. Lawrence River” ~ By Michael O'Reilly [yes, our Mike ]
https://www.waterwayguide.com/knowle...lawrence-river

The St. Lawrence Seaway Pleasure Craft Guide
This Guide provides information for the operation of pleasure craft of up to 317.5 tonnes displacement in Seaway locks between Montreal and Lake Ontario and in the Welland Canal, across the Niagara peninsula.
https://greatlakes-seaway.com/wp-con...ftguide_en.pdf

Sailing Directions ATL 112
St. Lawrence River Cap-Rouge to Montréal and Rivière Richelieu
https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/l...2-41046420.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:42   #7

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Mike shared those (Thank you, Mike)

Post #7
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ay-277654.html
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:52   #8

We did that route, actually a circumnavigation of the so-called Downeast Loop in 2012. Blog is here. MVTanglewood.com Look at the posts from 2012

A good reference is Cheryl Barr's book https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Route-.../dp/0973165901 Lots of good tips for timing some of the stretches where there is nothing in between stops.

As noted, starting somewhere before Montreal you will be in Canada on both sides of the river. I'm not familiar with most of that stretch because we went up the Rideau and came down the Ottawa to Montreal. We did a two day trip into the Thousand Island region and back, but otherwise skipped the big commercial section from Lk Ontario to Montreal. I normal recommend the Rideau route, but your draft will prohibit it since there is a controlling depth of only 5'.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:21   #9

Thanks Gord, I actually forgot I'd written that article. It's a broad overview as I recall. Might be somewhat useful.

And thanks for the link 5BTM. I was just about to dig out that file with all my anchorages. Saves me the trouble .

Zzip, I should add that I did the trip in my current boat, a Rafiki-37. And we did sail -- a lot. Prevailwinds tend to be westerlies, generally SW as I recall. So we sailed most of the way down. But we also did a lot of motoring, which was the main reason we had to pull into two marinas; had to refuel.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:53   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Since you have lots of time, I highly recommend spending time on the south coast of Newfoundland at least as Far East as St Pierre and Miquelon so you can say you went to France. I have sailed for 50+ years and circumnavigated but I would put Newfoundland at the top of the list for interesting sailing. Two thoughts - think about anchoring more, it is much more interesting and peaceful and you do need radar.
Old 01-11-2023, 15:56   #11

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

We did the trip in 2022.
You can read our journey at circe.travelmap.net
Mike mentioned the Guide Nautique. It is an excellent resource, free, and despite Mike's comment about French, it is available in English as well. If you can get it in advance, great, if not you can pick it up at various marinas.
Mike's comment on the prevailing is spot on. Every day was the same. Get underway with a calm, by 10:00 you got 10 to 15 out of the Southwest (you are going northeast, so almost dead down), and by nightfall it is calm again.
Give yourself 3 days on the Saguenay.
Below the Thousand Islands, it gets increasingly hard to find commercial facilities. But anchoring is fabulous.
You can't skip Newfoundland. Find a way to make it happen!
Getting the Nexus card is well worth the effort, it makes it substantially easier to move between US and Canada. But it provides no assistance on returning to Canada from France.
There is a document published by the Canadian government that provides graphic display of currents and eddies. Start here https://charts.gc.ca/publications/atlas-eng.html
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 16:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Mike mentioned the Guide Nautique. It is an excellent resource, free, and despite Mike's comment about French, it is available in English as well. If you can get it in advance, great, if not you can pick it up at various marinas.

Great info Harry, especially the English Nautiguide -- I did not know it was published in Anglais. Thanks for the correction
Old 02-11-2023, 00:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The 2023 edition of the 'Nautiguide' is now available in digital and paper form.
I was unable to find an on-line English version, although I did see references to it.
L’édition 2023 du Nautiguide ➥ https://nautismequebec.com/?r3d=ng2023

Old 02-11-2023, 01:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FWIW: The Province of Quebec [gov’t] is not English friendly ['Francization']. See the Charter of the French Language, sometimes called Bill 101 [1977].
The people are much more accommodating to English [only] speakers.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:08   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: The Province of Quebec [gov’t] is not English friendly ['Francization']. See the Charter of the French Language, sometimes called Bill 101 [1977].
The people are much more accommodating to English [only] speakers
I'm not certain, that an English-ONLY version, would even be legal, in Quebec.

Tags
enc, marinas, navigation