Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15   #1

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Stacked V Berth vs Traditional

Are there any real benifits to a stacked (offset?) v berth over a traditional layout? Assuming only one person will be sleeping in it on a regular basis, does the stacked give you more storage? Or less?

Thanks

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I believe the 'stacked' arrangement trades V-berth and anchor locker storage space for more saloon space. Not a bad tradeoff if you have kids along, I guess.

I think the stacked arrangement is still a bit too cozy for my tastes, unless... you know. Then it's not cozy enough.

By 'stacked' I refer to the over-under arrangement, not the Pullman.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30   #3
Kai Nui

This has to be specific to your needs. Who will be using it? Do you often have couples sailing with you? Or do you have kids? Only you can decide what works best for your needs. Even if you have sufficient beam to have double bunks stacked, they will be narrower, and less comfortable than a traditional V-Berth. That said, it might be an advantage if you want to discourage long visits
Old 04-03-2009, 11:38   #4

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer
My wife and I are six foot and taller. The conventional V-berth arrangement does not work in our boat because too much foot interference in 6'2" long berths. If it was overlapped, we could both sleep there. As it is I convert the dinette and she takes the v-berth. An overlapped wouldn't change the fact we can't sleep together on this, and most boats we've visited
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:00   #5

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
V-berths are rarely very comfortable getting in & out, let alone at sea. I prefer a pullman if there's room. My Golden Gate has neither - simply storage over a water and holding tanks. We call it our "attic" and sleep in the pullman amidships - easy getting in & out, better motion amidships and very comfortable. We discourage guests with the quarterberth :-)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:09   #6

It allows you to cram the forward cabin occupants even farther forward into the pointy end and still give them some foot room. Works well for kids. One popular boat that had it was the Cheoy Lee Offshore 41, Ray Richards design.

If you have the space, I like pulling the vee berth back from the bow a couple of feet, makes the bunk wider at the foot and leaves more room for a divided chain locker.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 14:05   #7

Boat: Riviera 35
IMHO Stacked usually gives more locker space, and is more comfortable for singles not wanting to play footsie. V-berth has the advantage for a couple however, as you can put the centre cushion in and cuddle more (or whatever you do).

Nauticat 43 has stacked (usually). S&S design. Seems to feel more like a proper berth.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote