Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 07:32   #16

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Starlink for working while cruising

Regulatory project manager and accountant both working / cruising full-time in the eastern Carib using SL Roam.

I had a 9 hour conference training call last week and SL performed effortlessly. It really is a game changer.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 07:43   #17

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

On DC power using the “roam” dish we use, on average 4 amps (3 for Starlink and 1 for the router) so if you’re running it 10 hours a day, 40 amps of power need to be added to the power budget. More for a more powerful router, more if on AC, and much more if you’re on the high speed dish.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 07:47   #18

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post
Used the regular Gen 2 Router and Dish all through the abacos last year with no issues. We was on the Mobile Roam Plan with the option 2gb opt in option. We only needed to opt in when we was more than 10 miles offshore. This year I got to add a Peplink Router with the Sync Fusion VPN to make sure I have a US IPAddress because of the contract I’m working under.

We have only had issue when in fort pierce and when there was major storms in the area. It caused a lot of drop outs.

Speaking with peplink I’m looking at the Balance 20 router basically for the price point

Other than all that SL is a no brainer if you want to work remotely
Not sure your time frame for purchase, but Peplink is releasing a BR1 Mini 5G soon (no idea what soon means). The current BR1 Mini for LTE is roughly the same price point and will give you cellular as backup should you want it and get a sim.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 08:13   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Not sure your time frame for purchase, but Peplink is releasing a BR1 Mini 5G soon (no idea what soon means). The current BR1 Mini for LTE is roughly the same price point and will give you cellular as backup should you want it and get a sim.
Hey thanks for this.

My time frame is before we cross over to the Bahamas lol. A 5G mini version of the BR1 would be ideal for the redundancy but I could get away with the LTE for now. Hadn’t thought about the BR mini as the pro are priced at $1000 and out of my budget for this year the other plus it takes up less space. Again thanks for pointing us in that direction
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 08:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

I have been a digital nomad and running a marine insurance business from my boat since 2006. Working with contracts, phone calls with clients & underwriters, banking etc. I started out with a heavy laptop and wired cables - had to hunt for cafes and location with ethernet at first. Then WIFI hotspots started popping up, I got a powerful WIFI antenna, and life got a lot easier. Starlink has been a game changer- it is, in opinion, at least as big a step forward as the leap from wired to wireless.
Old 15-12-2023, 09:10   #21

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post
Hey thanks for this.

My time frame is before we cross over to the Bahamas lol. A 5G mini version of the BR1 would be ideal for the redundancy but I could get away with the LTE for now. Hadn’t thought about the BR mini as the pro are priced at $1000 and out of my budget for this year the other plus it takes up less space. Again thanks for pointing us in that direction
Happy to help. We use Google FI which presumably works out of the US as well. We've not tested out of CONUS yet.
https://onboardwireless.com/Cellular...-help_b_5.html for more info.

Good luck!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, work