Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19   #1

Starting Out

My wife and I are new to sailing and trying to get our start. I taught myself to sail on a Hobie 16 on a small lake in Michigan. I am in the market for a Day Sailor, something forgivable I can trailer to a lake on weekends rig to sail and enjoy. (I would like to be able to raise the mast by myself with out a crane). I feel that an adjustable center board I have been researching the Macgregor Venture 22 and I think it might be the vessel I want to buy. I would appreciate any help or impute you could give.
gregoryawaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Starting out

Welcome to CF!

In my opinion, ANY small trailer sailor would fit your needs... My advice would be to go with something that is

A) Not needing much in the way of refit or repair... The idea is to learn sailing, not boat repair.... There will be plenty of opportunities for the latter... I promise you...

B) Low end of budget, and easier resale.... Either to move out or move up cause one of these is gunna happen...

Never sailed a Mac, know nothing about them, but have seen plenty... fun looking boats... Don't get stuck on one brand... Catalina 22 should be easy to find... Great starter boats... Any of the trailer sailors are meant to get the stick up with 1 or 2, and all have adjustable boards with few exceptions....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 17:59   #3

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

We have a 81 Hunter 22 that we have had for 8 years before we bought our Legend 37 (still have the H22 too). It is a very nice boat. It can be launched and retrieved from its Magic Tilt sailboat trailer in 2 1/2 feet of water. It draws 5 feet with the keel down. I am 6 feet tall and it has a v-berth big enough for me to stretch fully out without hitting my feet on one end and head on the other. It is easy to sail and easy to maintain. It will make about 6 kts on a good day. Cockpit has lots of room and it has a built-in teak table. With a gin on the mast you can raise the mast on it yourself using a block on the bow chainplate and use the halyard winch pulling on the forestay to raise it. The mast can be stepped or unstepped in about 5 minutes by one person.

If our Legend 37 turns out to be as sweet as our H22 it will be good.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:36   #4

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Welcome to CF!

In my opinion, ANY small trailer sailor would fit your needs... My advice would be to go with something that is

A) Not needing much in the way of refit or repair... The idea is to learn sailing, not boat repair.... There will be plenty of opportunities for the latter... I promise you...

B) Low end of budget, and easier resale.... Either to move out or move up cause one of these is gunna happen...

Never sailed a Mac, know nothing about them, but have seen plenty... fun looking boats... Don't get stuck on one brand... Catalina 22 should be easy to find... Great starter boats... Any of the trailer sailors are meant to get the stick up with 1 or 2, and all have adjustable boards with few exceptions....

+1.. well said happy sailor
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:12   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

I have owned an O'Day daysailor in the past. Huge cockpit, with a small cuddy cabin to stow your gear in, retractable centerboard, sloop rigged with a little jib, sails nicely and has pretty lines as well.

Had a lot of good times with that little boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chatam 1994.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	73735  
Old 11-01-2014, 07:18   #6

The only macgregors I know are the "multi-use" style which is fine for daysailing in a bay (I think the 26'?). An overloaded one capsized in San Diego a couple of years ago and killed some people; that alone is enough to keep me off of one.

Get an Ericson 32 or something of that ilk. Or a Catalina, or even a Hunter (just keep some locker doors ready to make a spare rudder).

Don't get a Lancer.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
We have a 81 Hunter 22 that we have had for 8 years before we bought our Legend 37 (still have the H22 too). It is a very nice boat. It can be launched and retrieved from its Magic Tilt sailboat trailer in 2 1/2 feet of water. It draws 5 feet with the keel down. I am 6 feet tall and it has a v-berth big enough for me to stretch fully out without hitting my feet on one end and head on the other. It is easy to sail and easy to maintain. It will make about 6 kts on a good day. Cockpit has lots of room and it has a built-in teak table. With a gin on the mast you can raise the mast on it yourself using a block on the bow chainplate and use the halyard winch pulling on the forestay to raise it. The mast can be stepped or unstepped in about 5 minutes by one person.

If our Legend 37 turns out to be as sweet as our H22 it will be good.
H22 would be pricier up front, but probably better cared for and easier resale... (fun boat CC!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot smart View Post
+1.. well said happy sailor
TANKS ALOT MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have owned an O'Day daysailor in the past. Huge cockpit, with a small cuddy cabin to stow your gear in, retractable centerboard, sloop rigged with a little jib, sails nicely and has pretty lines as well.

Had a lot of good times with that little boat.
Another good choice gregorywaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The only macgregors I know are the "multi-use" style which is fine for daysailing in a bay (I think the 26'?). An overloaded one capsized in San Diego a couple of years ago and killed some people; that alone is enough to keep me off of one.

Get an Ericson 32 or something of that ilk. Or a Catalina, or even a Hunter (just keep some locker doors ready to make a spare rudder).

Don't get a Lancer.
Reb... I think droppin' the $$ for a superduty, 32' trailer, and lift fees negates the savings on this weekend daysailor...

OR did you mean 23?

--------------

gregorywaters... where you located??

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:41   #8

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

I was looking at mcgreggor s as a trailer option till someone brought up how the water ballast would act. Made sence to me as if there were any air bubbles the sloshing of the water may hinder or give a different feel while under way. I thought just to have a lighter boat to trailer the water would be nice to be able to drain out.

Did try to find a oday but none were in my price range and none had a trailer.

Currently I found a Aquarius 23 it has a swing keel. Have not gotten it out on the water yet but that's just awaiting the thaw and summer to come back. The whole thing sits low on the trailer for the swing keel. And weight wise not to bad. Any decent suv can handle this to pull anywhere I feel. Moved it around with a f150 and it did fine for me as I took it home. This summer we shall find out how it will move.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:47   #9

Reb... I think droppin' the $$ for a superduty, 32' trailer, and lift fees negates the savings on this weekend daysailor...

Paid $500.00 for the used O'Day with a small Johnson outboard, this was almost 20 years ago, you should be able to find one for a lot less now.

Most of these were made in the 60's and O'Day enjoyed a pretty good reputation for good strong construction.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05   #10

Something I should of mentioned is that the cockpit is large enough for a family of four, with the addition of a simple boom tent two could overnight or weekend, cuddy will keep provisions and gear dry.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:08   #11

Buy Patrick Royce's book, Sailing illustrated. Lots of information on small trailerable boats. The list is extensive. There are also "trailer sailor" websites and trailerable boat books which have big lists of the ones that were made.

You need to help us help you by telling us what you want to do with the boat. A daysailor with a small cuddy cabin is vastly different than, say, a C22, the Hunter mentioned or the Mac22 which have actual "quarters" below for overnighting.

If you never plan to overnight, then a much less expensive (or newer in better condition at similar price) daysailor would work. If you want to anchor out overnight, either a tent over the boom or a larger boat would be indicated.

Good luck, happy hunting.

PS - We had a Catalina 22 and overnighted weekly all summer long, daysailed during the winters. Just the two of us, pre-kid.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26   #12

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

You can tell what sort of boat gregoryawaters is interested in from his original post. He said he was looking at a Mac Venture 22. So that is more like the Cat 22 or Hunter 22 and is a weekend overnighter boat.

Another boat in this class that is very good and sails like a dream is the Chrysler C22. You don't see too many of them for sale because the people that have them absolutely love them and won't part with it. But if you come across one for sale definitely take a look at it.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46   #13

I live 20 minutes north of Detroit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2014, 09:48   #14

Thanks cruisingcouple

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2014, 09:50   #15