Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 13:53   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: Step Up Companionway - are they a pain or are they just fine

Chartered a boat like that once - it felt very exposed climbing up & over - wouldnt want to do that in bad weather. There again, it didnt have a sprayhood & maybe I just didnt have the boat long enough to work out a comfortable & safe way to deal with it. Definitely a big thumbs down from me though....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 13:57   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSydney View Post
Hi all,

I am looking at an Adams 12 - it has a "step up" companionway as you can see in the attached photo.

I am interested in your experience with these - are they a pain to get in and out of when compared to a step through setup?

I'm concerned that it will become cumbersome to step up up to fold myself into the vertical drop of the hatch. (The dodger can be folded forward so does not come into the equation)

Do you just get used to them or do you end up selling the boat and hating them? Thanks all
A bridge deck is a raised separation between an external cockpit and cabin or salon. All boats I have seen have had them, some taller than others but none that tall.

I am not familiar with the Adams 12 and saildata.com has no listing of it. In your case the bridge deck is exceedingly high and I would say most uncommon. It must have been designed to increase cabin volume while keeping a lower overall profile as I see no other reason for it. Dodgers are almost always aftermarket additions and this one would appear to make it even more difficult to enter but can't go any higher because of the boom. I now suspect the boat was designed NOT to have a dodger. Is this a race boat?

Sailboats with extreme features probably will not appeal to most buyers. There are lots of boats out there. If you question it now I would say keep looking.

Good Luck.
Old 13-05-2022, 14:12   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Never liked any cockpit you had to climb in and out of in rough weather

When you're young and flexible, it doesn't bother you even in cumbersome cold Sailing gear.

But as you get older, past injuries and a diminishing Sense of balance favors a walk in cockpit which is my favorite feature on Stargazer.Click image for larger version

Name:	1b%20cockpit.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	257700
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 14:12   #19

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Now THAT is a proper offshore bridge deck!
I agree with the comment about climbing in and out keeps you flexible.

Several boats ago we had a Catalina 27 with a super wide companionway and super low bridge deck (2 inches) and while we loved that boat it is unsuitable for offshore for those two features alone.

If you aren’t intending to go offshore it would not matter.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 15:09   #20

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The OPs boat is hardly any different from several series of Swans that had quite similar arrangements.
Perhaps racing in the Baltic/North Sea is not quite the same as lounging around in the Caribbean.
Stargazer, I would posit that at 65' much more is possible than in small(er) boats.
The old saying: "Length cures all" is not far off.
Old 13-05-2022, 18:11   #21

It depends on what you intend to do with the boat. A bridge deck adds to the seaworthiness of the vessel and detracts from the ease of movement from ockpit to below decks. If you intend to go offshore and will possible encounter heavy weather, you will be thankful for the extra protection from seawater ingress. But if your boat will be used for only coastal cruising or just a marina queen, then you will appreciate the step-through companionway.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 18:40   #22

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Ok, I paid attention to how I go below, something one really just does, not think about.

Step on BD and yes I have lean in. Grab the hand rails, and start stepping in. At that point I’m already rotating so my foot lands lengthwise on the first step. By the second step I’m almost fully rotated.

So I guess it’s no big deal. But as always, there’s a beer and two phones on the BD. And someone did mention it’s a great spot to sit under the dodger meaning others have to tell you to move.

BD is 19” and sole to dodger is 66”.
Old 13-05-2022, 19:11   #23

Boat: Beneteau

My first boat had one but it wasn't as extreme as the one pictured. I didn't really notice it when I had it because I'd no other experience. It was also the mount for the mainsheet track which wasn't ideal but again I didn't know better.

I would not say it's a deal breaker but the one in the picture is more like a setup requiring gymnastics of some variety.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 05:15   #24

Boat: Sabre 402

Boats have bridge decks or raised sills to the companionway in order to keep any waves that land in the cockpit from finding their way below and causing the boat to sink. A step-through companionway allows any water from the cockpit to fill the bilge, instead of having it go overboard through drains or sloshing out. Larger boats and those with center cockpits get away with step-through companionways because they are less likely to have waves fill the cockpit. (They hope.) Every sailboat is a different set of risks and compromises. We have a bridge deck on our 40' sloop.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 09:51   #25

As with all things in boat design I think the bridge deck is has given way to elements that render it unnecessary. My present boat has a fairly open aft end to the cockpit and it's definitely quicker to drain than a couple scuppers.
Old 14-05-2022, 17:40   #26

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
As with all things in boat design I think the bridge deck is has given way to elements that render it unnecessary. My present boat has a fairly open aft end to the cockpit and it's definitely quicker to drain than a couple scuppers.
An open transom may help water go out the back and drain the cockpit faster than scuppers, but the question here is whether you have a raised sill or bridge deck to keep water out of the cabin. If not, what keeps a wave coming up from behind from simply filling the bilge when it gets to the companionway?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 17:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
An open transom may help water go out the back and drain the cockpit faster than scuppers, but the question here is whether you have a raised sill or bridge deck to keep water out of the cabin. If not, what keeps a wave coming up from behind from simply filling the bilge when it gets to the companionway?
If you are in conditions that fill your cockpit with the weather boards out design isn't the biggest concern.
Old 14-05-2022, 18:48   #28

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
If not, what keeps a wave coming up from behind from simply filling the bilge when it gets to the companionway?
Many boats of that design, (wide sterns/fine entry/shallow deadrise/more-or-less flat bottomed,) are at least somewhat modeled after the high-tech race boats that you see with professional crews.
The principle idea being to keep the boat moving fast enough to outrun the following seas.
It works until "something happens". They are fast/easy/fun to sail in decent conditions for the "mom and pop" cruiser but when things go bad they don't tolerate "amateur" handling, it's not a "forgiving" hull shape.
Old 14-05-2022, 19:13   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A decade or so ago we saw a shiny new Elliot 50+ foot boat at the CNC marina in Noumea, New Caledonia. It sported an open transom, a low and flat cockpit sole and zero bridge deck. Ann and I were aghast, for it looked like a boarding wave would just roll on into the interior and swamp her. How could anyone go to sea in such a boat?

Well, a year or so later that very thing happened, the boat was lost and some lives lost as well. To me the design was flawed, totally relying upon hatchboards to keep the water out... if they were fitted. A Darwin event...

Jim
Old 15-05-2022, 06:02   #30

The hundred year old smoker and one off events don't add any reason to a discussion. If any of these designs can be said to have significant disadvantage I think it would come to light. Let's face the fact that old designs change for a reason and if it were found that it was indeed more detrimental to the boat or crew someone would point it out in real terms and change would happen. Convenience does play a part in this whole equation and looking at the companionway steps in the Adams 12 I'd fear descending those in big seas as greater every day danger over any fear of pooping because I trust my seamanship over any footwear makers choices.

Tags
companionway