Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 07:45   #31

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Sub-$30k brands for RTW sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Add an Alberg 30 to the list. They went around the world in 60,s, 70,s and 80,s. They can be picked up for around $10k or less. Check Facebook. There was on for sale asking $4k. It was bought as a project boat. They pulled the engine and hung an outboard on the back. It was in Virginia.
Alberg 30, 35, 37 can all be had for that. Great boats. All have circumnavigated.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:58   #32

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Journey to the east coast of the USA, rent a car and start hitting Marina's in south FL, by the time you reach Jacksonville you will have found several boats to fit what you're looking for. Don't rely on postings or listing the real bargains are never advertised. If you can't find one in FL continue north as far as Dealer MD you be overwhelmed with what is available
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 18:01   #33

Boat: Caroff 36

Corbin 39s were built in Montreal (over 200 of them) and intended for ocean crossings. They're high freeboard designs so have cavernous interior volumes. Hull and cabin top is constructed with Airex cores and so never blister and are very well insulated as well. Hulls are typically around 1" thick and are built soundly. You can find listings in your price range as most were sold as empty hulls to owners that made their own interiors, so some of them look pretty shitty on the inside. But if you're redoing the whole boat you'll have no qualms about ripping it all out and starting over. We would've bought one last year but my wife didn't like the small-ish cockpit.

Very active and well-organized Corbin 39 Owners group at Corbin 39 Association – Corbin 39 owners, crew, and enthusiasts.
raahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesledaft View Post
There is a 30’ Tom Colvin corten steel Junk named Ginger at Indiantown Marina in Florida that has been sitting for a few years. I looked at purchasing her at one point(I know the owner), but she needed just a little more work than I wanted(looking for almost turn key). I bet she could be had for a song and a dance at this point...
Im actually looking at a coulpe other boats over there. If I take a trip I'll DM you for more info!
Nicholas_nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 06:05   #35

Boat: Morgan Classic 41'

The 1969 Morgan Classic 41' should perhaps be included in your search.
Bifrost7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:01   #36

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

Many good suggestions. I hope you've read some reviews, the older boats were more sea-kindly and stoutly built but less roomy; there's a big jump in space from a Pearson 28' to an Alberg 35', and size also translates to speed and comfort under way.

IF you're flexible about where you buy and or start out, there are deals in certain places from San Diego to Florida, but you need to research costs of boat yards and/or shipping to where you begin work. Your budget limits you.

Also, if you aren't bound by work/whatever to any area, consider Mexico. Lots of boats/owners end their voyage in La Paz and San Carlos, equipped to cruise and often in good shape (mostly bigger boats, though). There are also some 'project' boats that never left the yard, but yard rates are cheap and SoCal is near for parts and supplies.

Happy hunting, but be lucky or be prepared for the long haul.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:38   #37

There are lots of good boats - but stay short. I'd look in the 28'-32' area to get a boat that's in better condition for your $30k.

More importantly, expect to spend an additional $30k+ in the first 12 months of ownership replacing, repairing and upgrading stuff for a circumnavigation.

For example, you'll need a good watermaker. It's unlikely a $30k boat will have one that is in good enough shape to make it around the world.

You'll almost certainly need a new set of sails either at the start or along the way.

New dinghy and outboard.

New standing rigging if it's older than 10 years
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 15:04   #38

CarlF, don't bother. As usual with people asking these kind of questions, the original poster pretty quickly disappeared for his next grandiose scheme once he realised that reality doesn't conform to his wishful thinking.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing