Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 13:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Survey results

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleye2358 View Post
We are purchasing a 44 foot island packet 1994. The electronics are dated and some don’t work. The Raytheon c80 sometimes gets gps. Sometimes does not. The wind speed doesn’t work but wind direction works. We need to have a dollar amount to take off the boat. Any suggestions??

In truth I’d try getting the best price I could, I wouldn’t try to do that by deducting a few hundred here or there based on head hoses etc.
I’d do it by offering X, without an explanation, as they are irrelevant, only thing that matters is the price number.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:20   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
To put things in their proper timeline perspective as to electronic systems and the comparative age of the boat - 1994 to 1995 and the likelihood that some upgrades are in keeping:

Windows NT 3.1 was the new operating system; Apple was operating on NeXT Software.

The first flip phone. Motorola StarTAC.

The World Wide Web was born.

Dial up service on AOL was the prime service.

The popular computer game was Donkey Kong.

The first Sony Playstation.

The OP says the C80 is Raytheon but I wonder if they meant Raymarine. All the C80s I've seen are Raymarine and I think they came out around 2004. Raymarine was spun off from Raytheon through a leveraged buyout in 2001.
The main PC OS was Windows XP.
Old 07-07-2019, 13:30   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleye2358 View Post
The price was based on everything working. But the instruments failed at survey. With old electronics we may have to put out big $$ to replace. If all worked I would be very happy. Just looking for reasonable dollar value. Any suggestions?
You need to come to terms with the fact that a used and working Raytheon c80 is worth less than $100. If you don’t believe me, just check on ebay.

If I was the seller, I’d buy a used and working c80 off ebay and hand it to you if that’s what you want. An ipad air can do much more and can be had for under $200.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:43   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet the desired response is “The old instruments we knew up front need replacing now instead of in 1 year. That seller should pay for that so take $10,000 off the price for it.” I don’t find that fair even if it it is common. Asking post survey for brand new electronics to replace old ones that even if working are only “worth” $100-200 isn’t fair.

Tell the owner to replace them in kind with working ones. If they don’t want to they will counter with a dollar amount instead.
Old 07-07-2019, 13:47   #20

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In truth I’d try getting the best price I could, I wouldn’t try to do that by deducting a few hundred here or there based on head hoses etc.
I’d do it by offering X, without an explanation, as they are irrelevant, only thing that matters is the price number.
I agree, as soon as you start pin pointing faults you start to offend the owner and they are less likely to agree a price with you. Work out what it is worth to you and offer that. They are likely to counter with another price, you can decide from there.

I think you should get a quote to get the electrics up and running, it's tricky because they will quote you for new parts with new features so you will be better off. You can then descide what higher price you would offer for that boat with new electrics and then deduct the cost of the electrics + a bit because it never seems to go to plan but I wouldn't disclose your calculations it just opens you up to disagreements.
Old 07-07-2019, 14:32   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'd agree to not even get into justifying a lower price offer, discussing the specifics of your reasons are likely to be completely counter-productive and in fact not germane, not their business.

State the number, nicely but "that's my offer take it or leave it", put a time limit on it and get out of the way, always remaining mentally ready to walk away.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 15:58   #22

I had a Raymarine.. Color C60? I think. I liked the format etc but the problem was it would stop working now and then. Quite often actually. Just lock up.
The bottom line is the boat was sold with electronics that you thought worked. If they don't , it's a hassle to put new one s in, but you get new ones. So just offer a reasonable compromise

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:42   #23

Thanks for everyone replying to my request. The seller is not a boater and feels that everything should not cost much. I don't know what world he lives in. so we are going with best estimates, which is hard when the electronics are outdated. Then we hope he has a timer of light to want to sell the boat.

Thanks!
lesleye2358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey