Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 08:15   #31

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch
Re: Survey worth it for boats under 10k?

Most surveyors, like from SAMS, are not worth the price, are not really knowledgeable and skip too many things. They miss many things like electrical systems and then do stuff like take an oil sample to tell you the co edition of an engine.
Most often you can do a more through job but take a little more time to do it.
The thing about doing it yourself is that you will create a detailed work like of must dos versus want to dos
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:26   #32

Boat: Catalina 320

Depends on you...and whether this is your first boat and how much experience with boats of that size and equipment level you have.

I started sailing late, and did so cooperatively sailing dinghies. When my knees couldn't take it anymore I went looking for a cheap keel boat in the 28 foot range. With a little book-learning under my cap, I found a boat I liked under 10k$, crawled all over it to determine it's general health then made an offer contingent on survey, which was accepted.

I had an excellent surveyor. He confirmed that the price was fair for what you got. The issue was what you got. He verified operation of the engine (boat was on the hard). He then pointed out flaws in the electrical system. Although the hull and rudder were sound, there were soft spots on the deck around some fittings. There was delamination on the engine side of the plywood bulkhead between the engine and main cabin. There was more. His overall opinion was that if I had the DC electrical skills, fiberglass know how, and woodworking savvy and had 6-8 months of full time effort to devote to this boat, I would have a great vessel. If I don't, run away.

I was married, with a kid and full time job. I had no e of those skills, and at that time in my life no time to learn them. I got two things out of that survey. Firstly the sound advice to run away; which I did. Secondly, a list of things to look at, and what I should be looking for when I do. This proved the real gem. I looked at six more boats, rereading that survey before each inspection. Boat 6 appeared to meet my surveyors criteria, so I made an offer pending survey. He liked it so I bought it

If you're as ignorant as I was in the matter of sailboats, construction and safety then get a survey because it is a cheap education. Additionally, if you are not prepared to take on a project boat so deficient that you cannot take it out on the water for a season or more, then get a survey; it will help avoid a mistake while giving you different eyes for looking at subsequent options.

That first boat turned out to be a Tanzer 8.5 and was a proof of concept purchase. Having found sailing a success, it was replaced 5 years later by a used Catalina 320 which I am taking into its 13th season.
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:57   #33

Boat: Caliber 28

I wouldn't get the survey...or insurance for that matter. Any problems that they point out aren't going to be rocket science, it's an old cheap boat. Probably some wet decks, a few mechanical issues and maybe some rigging. Not worth the money to have someone tell you that. $100,000 boat..maybe
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 13:32   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Going to disagree if you mean absolutely no insurance
Old 29-06-2020, 14:23   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

The two most important factors to me are your knowledge and the boat type. A lot of what was covered in the link to 101 surveying had to do with things like an inboard engine, shaft, struts, prop, zincs, and through hulls. The thing is not all boats have these. Something like a Kenner has a small outboard in a well and no through hulls so all those things are nothing burgers. Since the deck is fiberglass the worry about soft spots in a plywood deck is again not a consideration.

You can look at things like running and standing rigging and get a general idea if they are OK or not; but standing rigging can be hard to assess even for a pro. One big key a lot of folks don't think about is smell. If a boat smells bad that is not a good sign.

Maybe the biggest consideration is what you will be using it for. If you never intend to go out of sight of land, or VHF range, there are very different considerations than if you intend blue water passages.

The thing is asking the question signals to me while you may not need a full blown survey you do need someone with more experience to help you out.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:29   #36

Boat: Caliber 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Going to disagree if you mean absolutely no insurance
Liability only...through homeowners insurance
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:24   #37

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 26C, Niagara 35C

Yes unless you are willing to risk $10k, only to find it will cost you another 10, 20 or more to make the boat useable for your purpose. At some point you will probably want a professional opinion before you invest more. Might as well get that before you buy it, if you believe that boat is a good candidate for your purposes.
MistyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 09:39   #38

Boat: Omega 36

Does not worth.
1. the boat must be on the lend.
2. engine: read the manual, check what they suggest and test on the water.
3. check the density of the hull with a plastic hummer - could be gelcoat bubbles.
4. check all possible marks of a water leak.
5. use binocular to check mast, shrouds and stays.
6. check all inlets and outlets. Stuffing box!
7. check moister in the hull with a wood moister tester ($20)

Find the boat history (accidents and so on)

If you are a technical guy, you'll be ok. Probably better than most of the surveyors
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 11:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One big key a lot of folks don't think about is smell. If a boat smells bad that is not a good sign.
A book could be written about this.
I looked at fiberglass boats that smelled like wood rot. They had wood rot on the bottom of the bulkheads that you could not easily see, etc.
The boat I bought had a bad smell. It was from accumulated rancid oil in the deep bilge. It has taken a lot of trips to the waste treatment site to get rid of the oil and the oil/water. Finally, after a year you can smell a varnish job down below instead of rancid oil. I think a previous owner was just dumping oil in the bilge from oil changes.
A well taken care of boat smells like one.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:52   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If you know boats and know how to fix 'em, then I'd say no survey. Otherwise it's still worth it. I got my boat for very little money and I did not get a survey because I was very familiar with the boat and I knew exactly what I was getting into. Insurance, I pay $190 a year for the $300k liability and $6500 to cover the boat. I should probably raise that since I keep making some improvements to the boat as I go.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, survey