Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 08:25   #1

Boat: On the lookout!
Swan 44 MK II (Frers) Opinions

We're in the market for a racer/cruiser for cruising the Puget Sound, and while we had our eye on a Swan 40 (Frers) I've also taken a liking to the Swan 44 MK II (Frers) (like this:*https://www.yeomanyachts.com/boat-fo...-44-mkii-juice) since I can't find any good 40's for sale!

However, unlike the 40 the 44mkII has a fairly low SA/D ratio which is a concern to me because the highest priority on my list is that she must sail well in light air since that's what we get 99 times out of 100 here in the Salish Sea Summer.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for opinions from owners of this design or those who have sailed one extensively on how she sails in light air and how easy she is to single hand and short hand sail.* Given that we'll have a toddler on the boat with my wife and I there are bound to be times when I'll be doing all the sailing.* And any other general advice/opinions about this Swan design as opposed to some of the other Frers designed Swans from the 1990's.
Athenas Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 12:43   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Swan 44 MK II (Frers) Opinions

First, sorry I don't have experience with this boat though I did crew on a delivery of a Frers 65. What a beautiful boat the Swan 44 is. Are you thinking of buying the one in the ad? Down in St. Thomas?
Given the SA/D of 17.04, and the full complement of light air sails she has, I don't see a slow light air boat myself but maybe I am missing something. Since you'll be doing a good deal of motoring regardless of light air performance, the engine would be good to scrutinize of course. Since you appear to be used to the Swan 40 already, I guess singlehanding the 44 will be ok for you.
I hope some owners chime in, I am curious what they will say.
Welcome aboard by the way!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 17:06   #3

Boat: On the lookout!

Thanks, Don. The one in the ad is spoken for, but there are a couple of others that we are considering. With regards to the SWan 40 showing in my profile, that reminds that I need to update that. Our PSA was cancelled by the Seller within like a week of me completing all inspections and Closing on the boat. What a gong show that was. So long story short, we don't actually own a Swan 40, but we were damn close!
Athenas Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 20:30   #4

Just an opinion - I own an '87 Swan 53, but have never sailed one of these. I kind of think these Swans are a sweet spot: single cockpit, more centralized lines & winches, while still having a more classic Frers hull. Classic Frers hulls are slippery and sea kindly; I love them. Only caution for a toddler is that the companionway ladder is steep. I think you'd be very happy with this design.
jparriott is offline   Reply With Quote