Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 15:35   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Swarbrick S111

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Yes, even if there was length for a mattress......no privacy. A racing oriented boat.
Silly me, I had not noticed the open plan aspect of the design. You are right, no privacy anywhere on the boat. Mind you, I have taken the cabin doors out of our boat at the moment. Mainly to get them out of the way while I am working but also to see how the boat works without them. Of course I did leave the bathroom door in place.
Old 15-12-2016, 16:16   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Save the doors for when you sell the boat! Really, with just family, curtains work fine; there are ways to respect each other's privacy.

To me, and please feel free to disagree, if you have a slow, sort of unwieldy boat, saving weight and where you put the necessary weight is still important, just as she must have the best possible sails, to help her through the light airs times.

For your friend, I think he really needs to pay attention to his wife's knee problem, he'll drive her away if she has too much pain with the companionway. You know I'm a monohulliste, but this is a case where a performance oriented cat might be a compromise both of them could live with. She needs a mono with lots of handholds, or the ability to install them, also a wheel she can get around without having to leave the cockpit. If he already has a Swanson, maybe he could get a Laser for a play toy fast, physical dinghy. If she can cope with the Swanson, of course. Also, might consider a knee job. Helps so many people.

Ann
Old 15-12-2016, 16:40   #18

Geez Ann, not having a dig at the Swannie's performance are you? :^). A "slow, sort of unwieldy boat"? Not all of us get around in John Sayer skateboards you know.

Just to be clear, they don't have a boat, I didn't even know they wanted one till the street BBQ a week or so back. He mentioned that he had found something he liked and I THOUGHT he called it a cruiser. I did not give it another thought till he left the flyer in the letterbox. Seems he is serious and I ASSUME he was seeking my opinion. If he wants it as a day racer I won't be able to offer a single piece of useful input but if he wants it as a cruiser I guess I am going to have to find a diplomatic way of expressing my reservations.

Regarding the knee thing, it is pretty hard to find a mono that is easy to get around with a dud knee. But storing a cat here in south aus would get very very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-12-2016, 16:59   #19

Awww, Matt, no offense meant! And our boat was specifically drawn as a cruising boat, at the request of the couple who built her after already having a few cruising years, and it is far too round forward to be considered a "skateboard". Really. If we ever hook up somewhere, I'll show you a picture of her underside.

Ann
Old 15-12-2016, 17:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
?..I'll show you a picture of her underside.
Now that just sounds strange.
Old 15-12-2016, 17:13   #21

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Save the doors for when you sell the boat! Really, with just family, curtains work fine; there are ways to respect each other's privacy.

To me, and please feel free to disagree, if you have a slow, sort of unwieldy boat, saving weight and where you put the necessary weight is still important, just as she must have the best possible sails, to help her through the light airs times.

For your friend, I think he really needs to pay attention to his wife's knee problem, he'll drive her away if she has too much pain with the companionway. You know I'm a monohulliste, but this is a case where a performance oriented cat might be a compromise both of them could live with. She needs a mono with lots of handholds, or the ability to install them, also a wheel she can get around without having to leave the cockpit. If he already has a Swanson, maybe he could get a Laser for a play toy fast, physical dinghy. If she can cope with the Swanson, of course. Also, might consider a knee job. Helps so many people.

Ann
ANN. ( mrs bloodycate) You, Madam, are a truly disgusting person.
YOU, WOULD, sit on a loo with the head of the Lovely & Much Esteemed Jim.....a bloody foot away ?? !!!!!!! OMG!
Surely, most of CF would by now know me, brianbloodymetcalfe, as particularly uncouth, foul mouthed & utter unintelligent....yes ?
But even I would not sit on the loo, or even STAND at the loo, with the Lovely Jim's head......a mere foot away.
Jesus Madam !!
OHHH !
"curtains work fine".......my a...e.
CHRISTO ALMIGHTICO ( and I'm catholic !!).
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 18:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Err... right. So what does all that actually mean?
Put simply.....

Does Your friend want to SAIL or WALLOW?

Appologies for picking up on "your friend" quote. It cracked us all up at this end.

As for doors in boats. Spend some time in the tropics and not only will the doors "go" but most of the bulkheads as well. Flow through ventilation is paramount on a cruiser.

Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 19:16   #23

Gosh. Enlightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-12-2016, 19:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
ANN. ( mrs bloodycate) You, Madam, are a truly disgusting person.
YOU, WOULD, sit on a loo with the head of the Lovely & Much Esteemed Jim.....a bloody foot away ?? !!!!!!! OMG!
Surely, most of CF would by now know me, brianbloodymetcalfe, as particularly uncouth, foul mouthed & utter unintelligent....yes ?
But even I would not sit on the loo, or even STAND at the loo, with the Lovely Jim's head......a mere foot away.
Jesus Madam !!
OHHH !
"curtains work fine".......my a...e.
CHRISTO ALMIGHTICO ( and I'm catholic !!).
Bwahahaha! This is a joke, right?

Brian, so sorry if i offended. I'm afraid the processes of giving birth, caring for babies, and living for 18 yrs on a boat that had a curtain only across the head of the V-berth to visually give privacy to someone using the head, it is not of great importance to me.

There was a monty python line that used to break people up: "I fart in thy general direction!" Now that's a curse!! I would have to say that i am not a huge privacy seeker. We all have bodily functions, no big deal.

Hope your preparations for sailing to Tassie are going well; our own have been delayed.

Ann
Old 15-12-2016, 19:37   #25

I'm starting to think I may be a bit too conservative for this sailing stuff...

A life of lawn bowls beckons I fear.
Old 15-12-2016, 19:39   #26

Oh, it's okay, Matt, keep the blinking doors, no offense meant.

Ann
Old 15-12-2016, 19:46   #27

Quote:
Oh, it's okay, Matt, keep the blinking doors, no offense meant.

Ann
If keeping the doors saves me from lawn bowls, then I will.
Old 15-12-2016, 20:34   #28

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Yyyyyyeeeeessssss Ann. Il Joko.
Strewth, sounds like I stressed you.
I meant to stress you diaphragm & ribs.....not zer cerebellia.
Capiche?
So what is holding your plans at bay ?
( don't worry about Matts thread, I control him....well, me & Kmac.).
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 02:10   #29

OK, quick follow up to the thread. I just gave the flyer back, and a champagne glass he left at our house.

Note to other blokes out there. DO NOT hand back a boat flyer when the missus is around. OK. Just hang on to it for a BETTER time.

All good, and his army training probably means he will be alive in the morning.

Seems he is thinking "fun cruiser". OK. And seems he did charter one of the Whitsundays boats that Seaslug mentioned, so he knows the boat well. I shall watch this space with interest, but at least he has his eyes open, even if he ends up missing some other appendages.

Matt
Old 16-12-2016, 02:14   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
OK, quick follow up to the thread. I just gave the flyer back, and a champagne glass he left at our house.

Note to other blokes out there. DO NOT hand back a boat flyer when the missus is around. OK. Just hang on to it for a BETTER time.

All good, and his army training probably means he will be alive in the morning.

Matt
'No plan survives first contact with the enemy'... old military saying.