Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2019, 14:31   #61

Boat: Hake 32RK
Re: Swing keel on a 42-50 footer

I have had 2 swing keel boats-Catalina and Oday. Both could vary position between up down or anything in between. However as you raise keel you change the center of effort and of course both slips more the higher the keel is raised. My current boat has a vertically retractable bulb fin The beauty of shallow draft and high aspect foil fin with 2000lbs of lead at the bottom makes her stiffer when sailing hard to weather. Best of both worlds. I would look for vertical retracting keel if I got another boat. I would not go back to swing keel now that I have had this experience
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 14:48   #62

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

On the other hand, in this place, you don't need a swing keel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9718-Dry.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	194024  
Old 16-06-2019, 14:55   #63

Boat: Hake 32RK

Not at all true
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 15:40   #64

Boat: Volkscruiser

Mauruuru here in Oz we have a Farr designed Binks 30 trailer sailer. It has a swing up bulb keel. It’s the funniest thing when you step inside one as at the end of the centreboard casing is what looks like a fibreglass traffic cone. That cone is to house the aft end of the bulb. They sail quiet well for an older design.
I still like the swing keel since in our area I always seem to be touching the bottom.
Wingssail where is that photo taken & is that really mud or sand?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 15:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Mauruuru here in Oz we have a Farr designed Binks 30 trailer sailer. It has a swing up bulb keel. It’s the funniest thing when you step inside one as at the end of the centreboard casing is what looks like a fibreglass traffic cone. That cone is to house the aft end of the bulb. They sail quiet well for an older design.
I still like the swing keel since in our area I always seem to be touching the bottom.
Wingssail where is that photo taken & is that really mud or sand?
Cheers
This is in Sao Luis, Brazil. This is the oldest Portuguese settlement in the Americas', a beautiful city.

It is mud, quite soft. We barely got in at a high tide and left the next day as the tides were going to be less each day for a month.
Old 16-06-2019, 20:13   #66

Boat: Volkscruiser

Great city judging by what has been said on the Internet.
What’s the tidal range and did they charge you to tie up there?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 06:49   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Great city judging by what has been said on the Internet.
What’s the tidal range and did they charge you to tie up there?
Cheers
The tidal range is over 5.4 meter (17ft). We were pushing our keel through about 3" of mud on the way in (the track is visible in the mud) at high tide. The next morning the tide was slightly less and the only problem was pushing off the side tie with the Gulfstar 50. (how do you push the keel sideways through 3" of mud?) but we got off and then it was just, plow through until deep water is reached.

They did not charge for us tie up there and were very happy to see us visit and very hospitable. We were sorry we could only stay 1 day. We walked all over the old city and took photos and had two meals there, took on water, fuel and provisions, then got a good night's sleep in order to leave the next morning.

If you are interested:
WINGSSAIL - Cruising Log of Wings - Serendipity 43 - Fred Roswold & Judy Jensen-San Luis, Brazil

Photos of San Luis
Old 18-06-2019, 20:45   #68

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

I've spent 2+ years of researching the very topic of swing keels, specifically on Southerly boats. Just bought a well-maintained 1987 Southerly 115 last month as a result.

There are numerous other swing keel designs, few of them as well regarded as the ones on a Southerly. Some of the other makes can't be dried out, others just don't have the thoroughness or ease of maintenance - and yes, a swing keel will have some maintenance compared to a fixed keel, of course.

Tanzer 10.5 (such as this one) is effectively a copy of the Southerly 115, but it seems you're looking for something bit larger.

Note that the few (and far in between!) Southerly owners with very few overall posts chimed in with great approval of the design; compared with others posters who have "read" and "heard" things, but don't have first-hand experience.

Southerly boats have a very strong following, especially in the UK where they've been made for decades and are uniquely suited for the cruising area (and of course, many others!). They don't often come up for sale compared to their production numbers. And when they do, mostly in the UK and/or Europe.

Some of the many resources I've found along my research:
Southerly Owners Association
SOA Forum - not nearly as active as CF but with much technical depth on many models. Well worth the association fee - if you're an active buyer the SOA will admit you and provide you with access after paying the nominal annual fee.
SOA Member Magazine - 100+ online issues

Numerous sailing blogs, many accounts of amazing travels. Distant Shores that you're already familiar with, and also Ruby Rose with many excellent videos detailing their boat.

Of course if you want to read a great story, then A Dream Sets Sail, Part I and Part II. And yes, Amazing Grace is the Southerly 115 we purchased!

Sample of my search history and saved links - I can find more if useful and of interest to read, but bewared that hours will pass in a flash!
Sailing log: Around the UK 2014 (UK circumnavigation)
https://southerly480.com (amazing build log!)
https://discoverygroupbrokerage.com/brokerage/ (manufacturer brokerage)
Hejira
Southerly 95 for sale
https://www.luckybeanz.com
Hermione Does ...
Southerly 115 MkI
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:26   #69

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Another active resource for Southerly is the dedicated Facebook page
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 12:33   #70

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanF73 View Post
Seems that the OVNI by Alubat have been ignored
I own and singlehand a 1992 Alubat OVNI 47. It has what I call a centerboard, but maybe is called a swing keel (pivots around a forward pin and can be raised or lowered via an electric powered, manual backup, hydraulic ram). The CB fully retracts into a interior space/trunk (that is barely noticeable). The CB is made of steel not aluminum (like the rest of the hull). She draws about 1.3m with the CB up and about 2.5m with it down. I've always wanted to, but have never beached it. I have however crossed the bar into and from the Rio Dulce without hitting bottom. I also sailed her across the North Atlantic. I'm sure she doesn't point as high into the wind as some boats. Mine has twin rudders a skeg, and a flat bottom, but basically can't back down (always good for local entertainment). Noted sailor and prolific author Jimmy Cornell had an OVNI 43 that he sailed around the world at least once and maybe more than once. Alubat makes a range of their boats, and they can be had second hand too.

Tags
keel