Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 17:44   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Talk me out of a Tayana 52

I had a fair amount of sailing experience in my youth (won't bore you, check my profile if you are interested), which was a long time ago, and I have sailed relatively little in recent years. But with kids headed off to college soon, retirement looking like a possibility at some point, and suddenly increased likelihood of surviving the pandemic, I find myself drawn to repeat the first half of the two happiest days of a boatowner's life.

I don't see me doing a lot of day sailing in the Bay. I would like to go places involving offshore passages. The purchase will be easier if it checks some "condo on the water" boxes for my wife. So, a relatively large and comfortable boat, capable offshore, and still feasible to sail short handed. Would like around 50 feet. Of course, limited resources (budget could be increased substantially if wife gets into it).

I am liking the Tayana 52 a lot. Never sailed one but have been on three. Pros:
  • 30 year old examples can be had around $150K - that's a lotta boat for the money
  • Long fin keel and skeg hung rudder makes them kind of a compromise between extremes of old and new designs
  • Bob Perry design reputed to be great blue water boats
  • Love the layout of the aft cockpit version, with three cabins, galley, head and nav station all close to foot of companionway
  • Beautiful teak interiors to keep the wife happy, and I like them too

Cons:
  • High maintenance / repair costs on old boats
  • Fasteners on teak decks, combined with balsa cored decks, has caused sponginess and rot on may examples
  • Black iron fuel tanks are often rusty by now, and replacing them does much violence to those beautiful teak interiors
  • Not as fast in light airs or as good to windward as newer designs

This forum, as a group, can put a pin in anyone's balloon. So have at it. Talk me out of the Tayana 52. Even better, sell me on what I should buy instead. I also like the Nordic 44 a lot as well, for a data point, but it's quite a bit smaller and I am afraid it will come up short in the "condo in the water" criteria for my wife. Neither of these boats are very common and not readily available for charter (I am open to any invitations!) so I would like to hear about other options. I am open to a somewhat smaller (than 50 feet) boat, shorter deeper keel / more "modern" hull shape and maybe a bit taller rig. Not too into full keels and canoe sterns. Like to hear everyone's opinion.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Talk me out of a Tayana 52

I would look for a Tayana owners forum ! In the end of the day its up to you. one thing I will say is maintenance cost is relative to maintenance levels and just because its old doesn't mean more !
Old 05-04-2021, 18:11   #3

The aft cockpit 52 doesn’t offer a lot of interior volume at all for a 52 ft boat. I think there’s more room below on an Endeavor 40! Don’t buy one with old mechanically fastened teak decks. If the tanks haven’t been replaced, budget they. It’s a big job but not a deal killer (unlike the teak decks). It sounds like you already have done your research. The Tayana is not a bad boat, like any, find a good one.
TRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 18:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I would look for a Tayana owners forum !
Word, Emmalina! I have been hanging out on the Tayana Owners Group for about a year. Ain't no one over there gonna talk you out of a Tayana. I figured a more diverse group over here might be better prepared to dish the dirt. And really, I would like similar options since the Tayana inventory at any given moment is generally thin.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:35   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Are you going to coastally cruise out of the bay up to the pnw or down to mexico? or are you looking for something to keep on the east coast to sail to the bahamas and caribbean? I'm just asking so I can browse what's available in the area you plan to buy.

As far as the Tayana, I have no personal experience, but they look like pretty good boats, and have a great reputation. I agree that the aft cockpit version doesn't look like as good a layout. As far as being less roomy than an Endeavor 40, that sounds highly hyperbolic. They don't seem to be as polished as Hylas and certainly not Oyster, but they definitely look well made, not chintzy.

On another tack, if you're trying to sell the condo idea, you might be better off looking at a slightly newer production boat of that size. They usually are much more roomy, with more modern aesthetics. Plenty of people are taking these types of boats around the world, despite their less impressive build. Depending on your cruising ambitions, these may be more than adequate.

I'm sure people will bring up that it is far more likely that the limiting factor will be the human factor. Does your wife have sailing experience? Offshore passages can be pretty rough.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 18:57   #6

Maud, West Coast US location highly desirable. I know I am trying to kill two birds with one stone here, and the birds don't like it. Look, if any of us were sensible, we wouldn't be here, right?

Yes, I do get tempted by the Beneteau and Jeanneau layouts. I know lots of them have circumnavigated, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

I don't expect my wife will join on passages, but it shouldn't be too hard to get her to hang out for a while once I get someplace nice. This is one reason I favor the twin aft cabins in the aft cockpit version - expect to have crew on passages. Plus I really love a nice snug quarter berth when under way, and I generally prefer aft cockpit unless the boat is really big. The big forward cabin will be usable in the conditions I expect my wife to be present in. I admit, the center cockpit big aft cabin version is better for the condo angle.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:58   #7

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

52ft boat is a big boat for one or two retirees. Do you really need it that big? The hassles of sailing (docking mooring etc) & cost of management and repairs increases exponentially to length (and this is not limited to ocean passages with crew - which is yet another hassle.)
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 19:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
52ft boat is a big boat for one or two retirees. Do you really need it that big? The hassles of sailing (docking mooring etc) & cost of management and repairs increases exponentially to length (and this is not limited to ocean passages with crew - which is yet another hassle.)
Understood. Can't argue with any of the above. Size is calculated to appeal to the wife, get her to set foot on the boat in the first place, and sort of view it as the "condo on the water" while I am plotting my escape. Something in the mid 40's could work, with the right combination of layout, interior space, and blue water capabilities.
Old 05-04-2021, 19:16   #9

Unfortunately, it seems like options are a little more limited on the west coast. Based on what you've said, I assume that the Tayana you were looking at is the one in San Diego. It looks like it needs some love, but it's hard to tell just from pictures. Before trekking down there to take a look, I'd check out this boat that's in the bay.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...om-50-3219425/
Old 05-04-2021, 19:16   #10

Unlike some people (apparently!) I am a fan of the esthetic of these boats, both interior and exterior. For a 52 foot boat they are mechanically pretty simple compared to a more modern build.

While true they can be a bit of a slug in light air, to me they more than make up for it in sea-kiondly motion in rough weather. In one of these, you'll be sheeted in tight and sailing comfortable close hauled long after one of the supposedly more weatherly boats has had to bear away to avoid knocking the filling of the the teeth of her crew.

The down side (other than what has been mentioned so far...) is the maintenance of the topsides is ENDLESS... the exterior brightwork is truly beautiful and heartwarming when in good shape, but quite the opposite when neglected.

If you truly enjoy the varnish work to keep one of these looking beautiful, then it is perfect. If you would find it a chore... well... you'll have lots of chores.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 20:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Unlike some people (apparently!) I am a fan of the esthetic of these boats, both interior and exterior. For a 52 foot boat they are mechanically pretty simple compared to a more modern build.

While true they can be a bit of a slug in light air, to me they more than make up for it in sea-kiondly motion in rough weather. In one of these, you'll be sheeted in tight and sailing comfortable close hauled long after one of the supposedly more weatherly boats has had to bear away to avoid knocking the filling of the the teeth of her crew.

The down side (other than what has been mentioned so far...) is the maintenance of the topsides is ENDLESS... the exterior brightwork is truly beautiful and heartwarming when in good shape, but quite the opposite when neglected.

If you truly enjoy the varnish work to keep one of these looking beautiful, then it is perfect. If you would find it a chore... well... you'll have lots of chores.
A man after my own heart, Bill. The maintenance is a bit daunting. I did a lot of varnishing in my youth. Frankly, with my youth a speck on the horizon in my rear view mirror the bright work looks like..... a chore. But I do like the esthetic of these boats.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:43   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

What are the quality issues like on Taiwan produced boats? Any different from US or European quality?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:45   #13

I'm not sure you can point at any issue and say it's endemic to the Taiwan boat industry. Some really high quality boats are made there, and I struggle to think of a brand made in Taiwan that has a particularly poor reputation. It would probably be more useful to go to the Tayana owner's groups to find out about any issues common to the brand or to that particular model.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:54   #14

Boat: Hylas 49

Can't comment on the Tayana, but we have a Hylas 44. While I lust after the Hylas 54, even the 44 is a lot of boat for a couple. (We don't have electric winches) My wife has learned to dock the boat because she isn't strong enough to fend off a 30,000 pound boat. The 52 is probably around 50,000.

How much experience does your wife have? How are you at doing repairs? Are you planning to tie up at marinas? A 60 foot slip gets expensive!

Personally, teak decks are a deal killer. I once looked at an old Swan 44. Replacement quote was 75-80k! That was 10 years ago.

I hope you find the right boat - whatever that turns out to be.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13   #15

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Personally, teak decks are a deal killer. I once looked at an old Swan 44. Replacement quote was 75-80k! That was 10 years ago.

Just a reminder, you don't have to replace teak with teak. You can replace with much less expensive synthetic substitutes, or if you want keep it natural, go with cork.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote